shape
carat
color
clarity

My cat is sick, and I'm a mess

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry that Sugar is unwell, sending good thoughts for today.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sending dust your way for a speedy recovery and good news on the lesion. She looks like she's an Asian cat, known for their longevity. Rest easy in knowing you've done all you can to take proper care of your baby.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful girl...she does look amazing for 20. Hoping she is feeling and doing better this morning.
Awaiting your update. Hugs to you @Mreader . I think a lot of us (unfortunately) know the stress and anxiety
caused by the illness of a beloved pet.:( Sending positive kitty dust for you and Sugar.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Just sending some more good vibes your way.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to learn that she's not feeling well. Holding her (and you) in my thoughts. Best wishes for a swift recovery for her, and comfort for you both!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to hear about Sugar being unwell. Hoping and praying for the best, @Mreader …we all love our fur babies and know exactly what you’re going through. Hang in there❤️

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry @Mreader ! I hope the vet can help Sugar get well soon!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Checking in this morning to see how things are going. *Hugs*

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry to hear that Sugar isn't feeling well and for the stress you are under. I've had two cats that lived to be 20. While it is a gift when they live to such a remarkable age, it can also be very stressful worrying when anything goes wrong.

It is clear that your decisions for her have been made out of love. Please be kind to yourself and remember that you made the best decisions at the time, with the information you had.

Fingers crossed for some good news soon.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
This is my cat Sugar who turned 20 this month. She has enjoyed amazing health for her age. We noticed that a spot popped up on her arm (or upper leg) without warning; I thought it was a sore of some sort but she is indoor only. It wasn't getting better so off to the vet she goes who said it was a mass. She said it should probably be removed but did warn that surgery could be risky since she's so old so some cats may not wake up after. After taking her home and ointment and antibiotics not working, plus the idea that it might not be a benign spot, meant that we opted for surgery. She had that Wed and all seemed to go well; she came home and was interested in food and water and just doing well overall though seemed a bit down (she didn't like wearing the donut thing around her neck). Well Friday she was still a bit droopy, but still affectionate. Then Saturday she was really listless, didn't eat, and was breathing fast (about 50 breaths per minute). So I took her to the vet and they did xrays and saw there was alot of fluid around her heart. They drained it and sent me home with a dieurtic in addition to the pain meds and antibiotic she is already taking. They said that she may have an underlying heart condition that the surgery exacerbated. I'm still waiting on labs from the spot and the fluid. But today she's not ANY better, no food, barely water and still breathing hard. We don't have emergency vet where we live; so nothing open on Sundays. I'm so upset and I feel like I shouldn't have done surgery bc even if the spot wasn't good to be there, she wasn't acting any differently. I feel SO guilty, and I just don't know what to do for her right now other than fret and vent on PS while I anxiously await for the vet to open Monday. I keep hoping it's just stress from the surgery and anethestia and that she will perk up but it seems wishful thinking. Thank you for listening any words of advice would be appreciated I know lots of y'all have cats. @missy @yssie @lala646 have any of your felines had surgery and they were down for this length of time?? @lala646 I know you just lost your sweet baby so I still hope it's ok to tag you.

ETA a pic taken just 10 days ago.

IMG_0761.jpg

How is Sugar doing today, @Mreader? I've been thinking of her and you, and hoping she's on the mend. DH and I have been wracked with guilt & self doubt since losing Stanley. The surgery that was meant to preserve his health and keep him with us for as long as possible ended up taking him from us instead. It's not fair, but my only comfort is that we made the decision we thought was best for him, from a place of pure love. Just like you have done for Sugar. Sending the biggest hugs.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no advice, but I am sorry to hear your furbaby is sick.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She is beautiful. Reminds me of our bogart.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Hi All I am back with an update and it is not good news. The spot they removed was in fact an aggressive cancer and that is why they think there was so much fluid in her. I can tell that she is feeling so unwell because she hasn't eaten or drank anything since Saturday morning, and doesn't want to be petted, and is hiding. So we are probably going to say goodbye tomorrow. I cannot believe I am losing her this fast - fast in the sense that she was still acting normal despite the spot, and fast in that I just lost Ruby in May. I am heartbroken.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All I am back with an update and it is not good news. The spot they removed was in fact an aggressive cancer and that is why they think there was so much fluid in her. I can tell that she is feeling so unwell because she hasn't eaten or drank anything since Saturday morning, and doesn't want to be petted, and is hiding. So we are probably going to say goodbye tomorrow. I cannot believe I am losing her this fast - fast in the sense that she was still acting normal despite the spot, and fast in that I just lost Ruby in May. I am heartbroken.

I am awfully sorry to hear this. But she cannot suffer. Sending hugs and sympathy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry @Mreader. You are doing the right thing under horrible circumstances. You are giving her peace and freedom from pain. There is no greater gift we can give those we love. It's the selfless thing to do. I am so very sorry. I am keeping your family in my thoughts. And sending gentle hugs

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry @Mreader. Sending Sugar, you, and your family all my love.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh no @Mreader I’m so very sorry about Sugar.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I’m so very sorry @Mreader. How heartbreaking that must be for you. But you have made the right decision. It’s the ultimate gift we can give our beloved pets - to ease their suffering at the end of their lives.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry @Mreader. :blackeye: I'm heartbroken for you. Keeping you in our thoughts, during this very difficult time. *Hugs*

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So sorry, MReader.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry. It is the kindest and bravest thing to do for our animals but it is so hard. We always want to hold onto them for ourselves but unselfishly have to let them go to alleviate their pain and suffering. My heart is with you - she has had an amazingly long life but in the end, it is never enough. Hugs…

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs Mreader.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

I am so very sorry to hear this news. Sending you and your family gentle, loving light.

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry. You are doing the kindest thing by not letting her suffer.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results