shape
carat
color
clarity

My big fat chunky halo with an airline

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be real honest. This is not they type of halo that I ever envisioned I would actually wear. By PS standards, it's too chunky, and exhibits a lot of metal. I realize that. And I knew that when I chose it, but I still chose it. Not very rational. Now I'm having second thoughts. I didn't pay a fortune for it, which was one incentive, (I might post another thread on that, as it involves a different diamond and setting.) so I figured, why not? I still have my previous setting, but because this opportunity came I up, and I have sort of being missing wearing my halo, I did it.
So now my issue is that I don't really mind all the chunkiness--the bigger stones, but I 'm having a hard time getting used to the airline and the ridges.My bench can add a bezel around the diamond and can smooth out the ridges by bezeling the outer halo. I know I should try to live with it for a while, which I will do, but what do you all think of my idea? Here is a picture. Will add more if I get a chance.

image_3182.jpg

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Would love to see more pics. From the one you posted, Nala, it seems to look really good. I'm not seeing too much of an airline. But, I do think a bezel would make it look quite different. I don't mind the chunky behavior of it at all. It is very sparkly! :sun: Looking forward to more pics to give you a clearer opinion.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on this pic only I cannot detect a real airline?
Also (again based on 1 single photo) I actually like the setting and I can see why you fell for it. But since a few details are bothering you, it would be great if you could post more pics.

About bezelling the inner and outer circle: I am just not sure whether a halo can be bezeled if it was not build that way from the start. Hopefully the experts will chime in soon.

You still have your lovely cushion in solitaire setting?

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
nala, I don't see an airline from the one pic you posted. I see a beautiful ring and very blingy :love:
I like it but need more photos in order to see exactly what you see wrong with it.
P.S. what size is the center stone?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't see the air line in the pic in the first post either, not an obvious one like my EC setting.

DK :confused:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't do anything yet...I see what you are talking about but I think its a pretty ring. Im not sure you should do anything
else to it...at least not for a while.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I don't see an airline either. I love the ring but I do understand I have an airline with my jackets because my martini set studs don't sit all the way in and it drives me crazy.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I'm looking for an airline, but not actually seeing one?

All I see is a beautiful stone and I personally love a chunky halo. Go big or go home, I always say! :D

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It looks nice. Can we see a profile shot?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's stunning. If the airline still bothers you in a few weeks, go for it! However, it's barely noticeable in the photo and I didn't see it until you pointed it out. The way it's designed has life and vitality & I would hate to see a bezel around the outside, but that's just me.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm hesitant to say this, because you feel what you feel, but...

I think the ring is beautiful. I don't see an airline, unless I look for one, and really, I'm not sure if it's there, or if I'm seeing what I'm told to be seeing. I hope that makes sense!

I'd love to see more pictures, and I agree with the advice to give the ring a couple weeks. See if you still see that airline or the chunkiness. I dare say, if it was me, the sparkle would override all else!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring looks gorgeous IMO!!! :love:

Food for thought: The ultimate choice to reset, get revisions from jeweler, or keep it is yours to make. You have to love it because you are the one wearing it. Sometimes it helps to wear a new piece of jewelry a couple of weeks to decide. Sometimes you know if you can love it immediately. When you look at your ring it should bring you joy!!! :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I can't tell much of anything from a single picture except that yes, it's chunky, but since that's what you asked for, that's obviously what you got =) As far as your concerns, I'd probably give it some more time - try to enjoy your new ring for a while.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's really pretty! I have a feeling by airline, you mean the diamond is set high as opposed to being flush with the halo? There isn't an airline from the top view.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, could we get more views of this ring? A profile view would be great as well as some other views would be more helpful. The ring as you posted it is very pretty IMO but we only have one view and I am not seeing a real airline...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I find it to be extremely pretty. I do see what you mean about the edges, which to me visually resemble flower petals a bit.

As to the airline. It could be because I have a ginormous screen (27 inches baby!!) but yes, I can see what you mean especially to the left on the image, but again, I don't mind it personally. To me it looks as if the stone is set high, if thats the case, can it just be set lower?

I think a few more pictures of the ring all the way around would be very helpful. Its a bit hard to read with just a top down image.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went back and looked, and yeah, there's a very slight space but I think it's noticeable because the pic is so big - not really what I think of as an airline.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1426511348|3847964 said:
Went back and looked, and yeah, there's a very slight space but I think it's noticeable because the pic is so big - not really what I think of as an airline.
Count me as another who can't see an airline. However, I was inspecting it, and what I think, is its one of those halos where the diamond is prong set and a halo is around the prongs, iow, I think possibly the airline your talking about is the vertical gap between the halo and the stone?

You mention the vendor offered to "bezel" the outside of the halo, meaning wrap metal around the whole halo? I do not think that would achieve a more smooth/streamlined look. I think it may just look odd

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some more pictures. The only answer I can respond to now is that the stone is not set too high. TIA. image_3184.jpg image_3185.jpg image_3186.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like it! Makes the diamond stand out a little from the halo. What do you think after wearing it for a bit?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to see a side image if you have one, just so I can see the diamond's profile and the basket. I think its very pretty though. The airline is very minimal, and if I were looking at it from a reasonable distance instead of a 27 inch screen, I likely wouldn't even be able to tell!

If you're willing to spend a lot more, you could certainly get the super delicate look you're after. Your local guy may not be able to execute that to your satisfaction because that may not be his area of expertise. Many of those types of rings, the super thin haloes, the v cut micropave, those are expensive, and you really need a master bench for that type of work. I mean ok if you want to spend 4-6k+ for a setting if you have it, but do you really want to go that route right now? is it affordable?

If you haven't had it all that long, I honestly believe you should give it a little time because you may come to find that you really love that your ring has these elements. Your ring should fit you and your aesthetics, not someone else's. You have a beautiful stone in a beautiful setting, and I'm not even a diamond girl but I would totally rock that! :love: That said, I would not bezel it, because if you think you've got a lot of metal now, you really will at that point! I would hold off and think realistically about your wants and expectations.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The air line is not obvious to me in the new pics.

DK :))

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks very pretty. I see nothing wrong with it & the melee don't look chunky at all. :))

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
ccuheartnurse said:
It looks very pretty. I see nothing wrong with it & the melee don't look chunky at all. :))

Plus 1!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to post an update. The airline seems to be growing on me, or I'm getting used to seeing it. Either way, for now, I don't plan to bezel it, as I'm afraid it will not look streamlined. So thanks to you all for your sincerity.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1426450737|3847682 said:
Based on this pic only I cannot detect a real airline?
Also (again based on 1 single photo) I actually like the setting and I can see why you fell for it. But since a few details are bothering you, it would be great if you could post more pics.

About bezelling the inner and outer circle: I am just not sure whether a halo can be bezeled if it was not build that way from the start. Hopefully the experts will chime in soon.

You still have your lovely cushion in solitaire setting?

Hi, which one are you referring to?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it -- I wouldn't change it at all. It reminds me of another ring by JB Starr... I'll see if I can find it. There's not an airline per se, but the way it's made kinda gives that impression... and it's lovely. :))

sani987cece

Rough_Rock
I love your halo!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so happy you are not going to change your ring. It's so pretty and looks beautiful on your hand!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results