shape
carat
color
clarity

My Beloved Pooch

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys,

My husband and I are discussing extending our family with a new pooch...we are looking at Briards this weekend to decide if the breed will be a good fit for our family. Since the breed is on the larger side, I'm looking for toddler carriers (Back or Front Cariers) so that I can walk our pup and carry our baby simultaneously. My baby is only 7 months but already a hefty 19 pounds! I'm only 5ft 2 inches! ha ha! I'm afraid his current Baby Bjorn carrier will not last much longer. :twirl: Sooooo, I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me...any strong toddler carriers out there???

On a sad note...I wanted to post this in some of my older pet posts but the discussions were locked - dated. It is with great sadness that I wanted to let you all know that my beloved Yorkshire Terrier, Bonnie-boy passed away a few months ago - the month of May. He died of kidney disease. We tried everything...unfortunately the dialysis treatment only worked for a while but in the end his kidney's gave in. I cried like a baby for dayssssss...He was the love of my life and he was spoiled lovingly until the very last moment of his life. My little man was 15.5 years old and lived a very good life.

The following picture was taken 1 week prior to his passing. I adore this picture! Oh boy, these guys really make you fall hard!!!

So if you guys can let me know what you do while walking a larger dog, that would be great! Thanks...

img_2811.jpg

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry to hear about your dog :(

For big babies/toddlers, the best supportive carriers are an Ergo or Manduca, although there are some others like a Boba that I haven't got any knowledge of. I think Pandora may know some more as she has been babywearing for a lot longer!

With the Ergo/Manduca you can wear them on your back or hip too which can help when they are a bit heavier.

I have a Manduca and I am biased towards those, but if you are in the States they are not available.

And, when/if you do extend your family with a pooch, come back with photos of the new doggy please!

ETA: I have 2 20kg dogs. I put C in the pram as I am scared that if another dog comes along/they get excited for whatever reason, they may pull me over and I don't want to risk her getting hurt. They haven't pulled me over so far though, but I am a bit paranoid. I hold both their leads in my left hand and the pram in the right. I make sure that I can let go of their leads if I have to to protect C.

Also, I have taken them for 1, maybe 2 walks and had C in the Manduca. Whilst it is comfortable, with the added strain of 2 20kg dogs who sometimes pull, it made my shoulders really ache.

I babywear pretty much everywhere else, but walking the dogs I put C in the pram.

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
Also, while I haven't tried them, some babywearing moms swear that the most supportive carrier is a woven (not stretch) wrap as they are completely adjustable to you. They are a bit fiddlier to put on though.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry about the loss of your Yorkie. They are such sweet little creatures.

Ditto Bobbin about using the stroller while walking my dog (she's a 65lb Boxer, lean and tall), and for the same reason. I've come across the occasional unfriendly, unleashed dog. The most recent example was when 2 St. Bernards got loose (I think someone forgot to shut their yard gate properly) and rushed us. I was glad to be able to set the brake on the stroller and handle the dog situation away from A. If my husband and I walk together, I vary between using th Ergo and the stroller, depending on whether we're on paved ground or steeper mountain trails.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Good advice, so you guys think it's best to drop the leash in a crazy situation, like a dog charging us? I'm so not used to handling a big dog! Ha ha! Any recommended collars for big guys???
Here's a silly question...how do you guys poop-scoop? My yorkie was tiny, now I have to think "camel"!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved pup.

Please consider rescuing a homeless dog. 10,000 dogs are killed every day in shelters around the country. 25% of shelter dogs are purebred dogs that were surrendered by irresponsible owners. You can find a local rescue group that uses a foster system, and then that way you can adopt a dog out of a foster home. Fostered dogs are easier for people who aren't experienced dog owners because they have been in loving homes and have received training and socialization with their fosters. Please consider it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ello, I'm so sorry about the loss of your sweet Bonnie-boy. He was lucky to have such a loving family (and vice versa).

I am seconding Haven's great suggestion of adopting a rescue dog. You can save a life and honor Bonnie-boy's memory at the same time. Rescue dogs make wonderful family pets- they really do. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of saving a life in honor and in memory of Bonnie-boy!

My mom just saved a dog off of death row on Tuesday night, and she saved him in memory of her beloved Tallulah, whom she lost this summer. I could not be more proud of her! Here's her new boy, Nigel:
nigelbeforeandafter.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww Haven, Nigel is so handsome. How wonderful that your mom adopted him! The after picture is so much better than that heartbreaking before picture.
I am terribly sorry about Tallulah. The pain of losing our furbabies is heartwrenching.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys, Bonnie was adopted along with a few of our other pets...This time around we are approaching a breeder for the Briard pup. That does not mean that I don't believe in doing good for rescue pups out there. I support our local shelters as well.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Btw, how cute is Nigel!!! I wish we had a farm so that we can have 4 dogs! Hee hee! I just love them.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys, I have great news, Henry our new pup is due to arrive mid November and we bring him home the end of January. Mom is approx. 45 days pregnant. We met the father and he was an absolute darling. A goofy fur ball! He looked like a wet noodle, just coming in from a crazy wind & rain storm but he was still adorable. He is a service dog and his name is Daniel. We wanted to bring Daniel home with us...it was amazing to be surrounded by dogs! I miss Bonnie so much! Here are pictures of Daniel...also included pictures of a groomed briards.

_1579.jpg

_1581.jpg

_1582.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results