shape
carat
color
clarity

My baby''s getting fixed tomorrow... Dust please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
My little angel, a year and a half old kitty is getting spayed tomorrow! While I have full confidence in my vet (he''s done a couple surgeries on my dogs with no complications) I''m so worried about her! My kitty is so precious to me, I just don''t know what I''d do if something happens to her!

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone ever had any problems with pets going in for routine surgery? For that matter, I''ve never had a spayed cat before - will her behaviour change?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Good for you for getting your kitty spayed! Its such an important part of responsible ownership.

Your baby will be fine - I''ll send TONS of good thoughts her way. Keep a close eye on her stitches - odds are very good they will be fine, but you''ll want to watch for any redness, irritation, or other signs of infection. The odds are low, but never hurts to watch carefully.

The only personality change you might notice is your kitty might be a little more mellow, because she won''t have hormones coursing through her little body. She''ll probably be a tiny bit groggy on the day of her spay, but should be back to her normal self in a week or less
9.gif

You might want to also cut her food intake a tiny bit. Spayed/neutered pets have a greater tendency to become overweight, so you''ll want to feed her a little bit less to make sure this doesn''t happen.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
She''ll be fine. The only problem with a female is the possibility she''ll bother the stitches so keep an eye on her. If she does you can cut the ends off a tube sock and slide it over her.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Great idea about the sock tube, I was wondering what to do about that. I take her in in an hour! Eep! But thank you for the reassuring words.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best of luck to her! She''ll be fine. It''s a short enough operation and she''ll be around again before you know it. Try not to worry.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 9:29:38 AM
Author: bee*
Best of luck to her! She''ll be fine. It''s a short enough operation and she''ll be around again before you know it. Try not to worry.
Ditto she will be fine! Sending sparkly kittah recovery dust to your baby!!
emstar.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had over 10 cats and dogs (almost all were female) and all were spayed or neutered and all were fine afterwards.

Most of my female pets had the regular surgery with stitches. My dog had laser spaying with no stitches and that was the best.

You might need an E collar to prevent her from licking the stitches or what I used to use when someone told me about it was to get a baby''s onesies and put it on.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
How did it go? Any news on your kitty?

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
No news yet. I dropped her off this morning and I''m supposed to go pick her up around 5. I miss my baby!

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a picture of the little fur ball. She has a thing for flowers!

100_3302.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:25:58 PM
Author: White Orchid
Here''s a picture of the little fur ball. She has a thing for flowers!

Awww...she''s SO CUTE
30.gif
30.gif
Careful with the flowers - many flowers are toxic to kitties. The worst are anything in the lily family - even a small amount can be fatal
23.gif
But many other plants can be toxic to kitties as well - there is a good list on the HSUS or ASPCA websites.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
awww... sending lots of good wishes for your baby! I was a wreck when I got my puppy spayed! I felt like I had to do something to make her more comfortable (really, it was more for me than her) so I threw a couple of towels in the dryer for 10 minutes or so and covered her with them. She seemed to like it, but was so out of it. I hope she''s okay and gets home safe and sound.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
She'll be fine! It's very routine.. Very quick procedure and she will be monitored the whole time, even after she's out of surgery! Sometimes cats with heart abnormalities can not do so well with being put under anesthesia, but I'm sure your vet would tell you if there were any obvious risks. Most vets do a small blood panel before surgery, at least all the ones I've worked at, to make sure she's fit to be put under anesthesia.

After cats get spayed, though, they can gain weight easier, so it's important to watch her weight.

Ever see feral cats and notice how they look like kittens? Unspayed females tend to stay very small and thin.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I had weight problems even before I was spayed.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:28:29 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Date: 4/21/2009 2:25:58 PM

Here's a picture of the little fur ball. She has a thing for flowers!

Awww...she's SO CUTE
30.gif
30.gif
Careful with the flowers - many flowers are toxic to kitties. The worst are anything in the lily family - even a small amount can be fatal
23.gif
But many other plants can be toxic to kitties as well - there is a good list on the HSUS or ASPCA websites.

Thanks for the information. I practically grew up in a garden, but I'm not good with plants. I've killed every potted plant I've ever touched except for a couple sprigs of bamboo.

I called the vet, she's doing just fine! I'm bringing her home in about an hour!

Thank you all for the positive energy!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Woohoo! So glad to hear she''s doing well - I bet she can''t wait to be curled up at home with you
1.gif

I''m the same with the plants - my DH jokes that I have a "black thumb" - I can''t grow a thing to save my life
20.gif
But I''m super careful with what cut flowers I bring in the house - I won''t let lilies in the front door, ever, I''m such an overprotective kitty mama
3.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s brilliant news that she''s doing great.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Awww, she''s so cute. Give the little "zipper belly" a snuggle.
21.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
BTW, this reminded me of a funny that happened years ago. I adopted a kitten from someone who listed it as a female. I kept her for 4 or 5 months and then figured it was time to get her spayed. I dropped her off at the clinic and went to work. An hour later the clinic calls me. They tell me HE had already been fixed
23.gif
and wondered why I dropped him off. I felt soooo stupid.
5.gif

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 5:53:03 PM
Author: purrfectpear
BTW, this reminded me of a funny that happened years ago. I adopted a kitten from someone who listed it as a female. I kept her for 4 or 5 months and then figured it was time to get her spayed. I dropped her off at the clinic and went to work. An hour later the clinic calls me. They tell me HE had already been fixed
23.gif
5.gif

That is funny! :) I probably would''ve done the same thing though!

She''s home but a little zoned out. Poor thing keeps wanting to explore the house, but she keeps tripping over her paws!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 5:53:03 PM
Author: purrfectpear
23.gif
5.gif

I had the EXACT same thing happen, except my (cat only!) vet had told me it was a female.

HE now lives with my mom, and we named him Albert, after Nathan Lane''s character in The Birdcage
2.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 6:31:32 PM

She''s home but a little zoned out. Poor thing keeps wanting to explore the house, but she keeps tripping over her paws!

Awww...bless her little heart
30.gif
She''ll probably be a little out of it for the rest of the evening, but should be steadier tomorrow and back to normal in a few days
1.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Stoner kittah on drugs
37.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
How''s your baby doing today? Is she back to her more normal, less loopy self?

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
She''s doing much better today, thanks! She was picking at her stitches so I had to get her a cone. I tried the sock trick, but she got it off. Am I supposed to keep the cone on her at night? I don''t want her to choke, but I also don''t want her to gut herself when I''m not watching her.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
If she''s picking or clawing at all, she should wear it any time you''re not there (and awake) to monitor. They don''t like the collar, but it won''t choke if it''s on the right way.

Glad she''s home again now.
1.gif
The drunken cat phase is a little entertaining.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Agree with fisher on keeping the cone on when you can''t supervise. I''m sure she''ll be healed up enough to not need it before you (and she) know it - I''m glad she''s doing well
9.gif

lulu

Ideal_Rock
When my Sophie had the surgery we couldn''t find a cone small enough. So my husband made one with a margarine tub and a shoestring. She hissed at him everytime she saw him for 2 years! They do make fabric cones now you can order thru a catalog. More comfortable for baby.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 10:50:04 PM
Author: lulu
When my Sophie had the surgery we couldn''t find a cone small enough. So my husband made one with a margarine tub and a shoestring. She hissed at him everytime she saw him for 2 years! They do make fabric cones now you can order thru a catalog. More comfortable for baby.

LOL poor kitty (and poor husband!) - sounds like a traumatic experience all around...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results