shape
carat
color
clarity

My Appraisal Experience with Martin Fuller and Associates

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Appraisal Services by Martin Fuller and Associates

Here’s my experience with Martin Fuller and Associates. I thought I would post it for people doing searches in the future for feedback on appraisers. I certainly appreciated reading about people’s experiences.

Like everyone I used in this latest purchase, I found Martin Fuller and Associates through Pricescope. Fuller and Associates charges a flat hourly rate for their services. The rate for Martin is slightly higher than for the other two or three appraisers on staff. They will perform as much or a little analyses as you request. I arranged the loose stone appraisal with Gary Lester who I believe has been with Martin for more than 15 years. Time was available when requested. No problems with scheduling.

I had three stones shipped from online vendors. Both companies overnighted them as promised. When I arrived, I was handed the sealed packages to open. After opening the packages, Gary checked the stones under a microscope and checked the certificates. He verified that the stones matched the certificates and that he agreed with the certificates “within acceptable tolerances”. He then asked what I wanted them to do. They have microscope photos for a minor charge or could do a detailed analysis and appraisal. Since I already had numerous magnified photos from DI and Dirt Cheap, I declined the photos. I had also viewed the Dirt Cheap stones with Jim prior to buying and I received so much info from Linda at DI that I was quite comfortable with my purchase and didn’t need another detailed loose appraisal. When I bought my wife’s e-ring I had it appraised twice in detail: once loose and once mounted. I thought it was neat at the time, but I haven’t done anything since with the detailed appraisals, so I felt I didn’t really them now. So I discussed the stones in general with Gary and issues such as cut, his experience with internet vendors versus B&Ms and the concept of average retail for the appraisal. Also discussed how useless Rapp is for consumers. I got the feeling that they haven’t really had any issues with internet vendors but have had some problems with B&M stores misrepresenting stones. I then collected my diamonds and materials and dropped the diamonds off at Quest Manufacturing for the creation of the setting.

After viewing the near complete ring at Quest, I arranged a follow-up with Fuller’s. Since Gary was away, I booked in to see Etta Saunders. I couldn’t complain, they fit me in with less than a day notice. The next day I picked up the ring and brought it to Fuller’s. Etta checked out the ring for quality of setting, weight and measurements, acid test on the metal and verified the diamonds matched the original certificates. Pictures were also taken. Martin Fuller popped in to look at the ring as well. They remarked how beautiful it was. I replied thanks for being polite, but “you guys must see so much beautiful jewelry”. She told me that such well cut stones were not that popular and the majority of the jewelry was not as nicely put together. I think they need more Pricescope customers based on the beauties I’ve seen posted here.

After the work, Etta put together a four page (10 pages with back-up) Insurance Appraisal. It consisted of pictures of the ring along with a description. All stones with specifications and inclusion plots were also shown. A final average retail value was assessed that represented average retail in the area. Higher end stores, of which there are many, including Tiffany’s, in the area would charge more, and some smaller independents would be less.

Some general comments about Martin Fuller and Associates:

The office is very friendly. Very down to earth and easy to get along with. It was both a fun and educational experience.

I believe I was undercharged by at least half an hour if not more. My total for three loose stones and a follow-up including appraisal document was 45 minutes.

If I could offer any constructive advice I would say they may want to offer some more standardized and structured packages (billed at their hourly rate). It wasn’t an issue with me since I felt quite comfortable with my research and really only wanted cert verification and a professional opinion on performance. However others may desire a more structured appraisal. It may be of to help some customers to offer a basic package that contains validation and appraisal and a deluxe package that has a detailed appraisal with pictures such as the ones offered by others I’ve seen on the site. However, for me I found the flexibility just right. I got the stones checked as well of my questions such as how do you tell a sapphire is heat treated and ever had any problems with internet vendors answered. Anyways, they may have some more structured packages, but we just started talking and it went from there!

Bottom line: Highly recommended. I will go back when I need more appraisal services.
1.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Great feedback. I plan on using Martin Fuller's office.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Kudos
2.gif

We send diamonds to Martin Fuller & Associates for evaluation on behalf of clients in the Virginia / Washington D.C. area all the time and they seem very happy with his services and attention to detail. Thanks for the post and the comments, no doubt they will be useful to people that live and work in the region.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We have often recommended Martin Fuller & Associates for appraisals in his area. We know he is one of those good guys that sometimes are difficult to locate. It is nice to see someone so deserving get such a glowing recommendation.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I just had my four piece in six months appraised by Martin Fuller and Associates. It was another enjoyable experience. Much of the time was spent chatting with Martin on diamonds and gemstones.

He showed me a picture from Las Vegas that included Leonid, Garry, Dave Atlas and Jim Schultz. Looks like it was a good time! Why are these shows in Vegas anyways
2.gif

What was really neat was the pictures he showed me of the team appraising the Hope Diamond. It was loose and he was holding it in his hand! How cool is that!

We did chat about my constructive feedback about having more set prices. He understands and we talked about the estimates that Allison and the team give and I do admit they are very close. So they can tell you how much time it would take and the houly rate should cause people concern with good communication. But I do still think that some set pricing may make some feel more comfortable.

After I left, their next job was to appraise a jewel encrusted garbage can donated to the Smithsonian.

BTW: If anyone is looking for Pear, one of his clients is selling a 2 C SI1 D for cost. She got bored with it. For what she's asking for it, I would have turned it into a Pendant. I saw it, it's a very pretty stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results