shape
carat
color
clarity

My alternative bachelorette party... hurray!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Back when I first got engaged, my MOH went through the calendar and carefully planned out dates for all associated events (engagement party, shower, bachelorette party, etc)... yes, she is a quality MOH.
1.gif
She was/is a bridesmaid for a few other 2006-2007 weddings, so she wanted to make sure everything fit with no overlaps.

Well, a few months later, one of FI's close friends announced they were planning their wedding for April... two weeks before ours, and the weekend we'd set aside for my b-party. Bummer. There were no other good weekends that worked (SO much going on this spring) and given that I'm not really a "wear a fake veil and go out and drink from questionably-shaped straws and be the center of attention" kind of person (I don't even like attending those, much less having my own), we were having trouble coming up with a fun and unique but low-key alternative idea. So she promised to think about it...

... and an hour later, emailed me in excitement to suggest "what about planning a trip, just us??" UMMM, absolutely perfect. We have been friends for over 10 years and taken countless trips together over the years... from weekends at the beach to a semester in Europe. We also specialize in rehashing the same memories from those trips over and over and over and over... much to the dismay of my poor fiance, who is usually forced to listen.
2.gif
So now we're planning one last single-girl trip... out to LA for 5 days to stay with a friend. And I am suddenly SOOO enthused about my new b-party!!! Just wanted to share...
9.gif

Any one else planning "alternative" bachelorette parties??

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Excellent!!! Way better than a night in a bar!!!

My BMs have been talking about a trip for months now but we haven''t decided on when or where yet. I talked them down from Iceland. I think we need some more ideas though!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Eph: that sounds like just the right speed. It sounds perfect. What a great friend you have!

Sumbride: You talked them down from ICELAND... WHY?!? Iceland is AWESOME. It doesn''t take too long to get there (at least from the east coast). It''s gorgeous. Unusual. The nightlife is fantastic. Beautiful shops. Great food (if you like fish and sheep cheese). So it''s a bit pricey. But just for a weekend? Why why why not?! And Iceland Air has all these great inclusive packages. And it''s not too cold in winter (gulf stream). And the sulferous pools are amazing. I just loved it there so I guess I''m a little overly excitable about it. :) teehee. OK, I''ll stop. teeheehee.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 6:28:47 PM
Author: Independent Gal

Sumbride: You talked them down from ICELAND... WHY?!? Iceland is AWESOME. It doesn''t take too long to get there (at least from the east coast). It''s gorgeous. Unusual. The nightlife is fantastic. Beautiful shops. Great food (if you like fish and sheep cheese). So it''s a bit pricey. But just for a weekend? Why why why not?! And Iceland Air has all these great inclusive packages. And it''s not too cold in winter (gulf stream). And the sulferous pools are amazing. I just loved it there so I guess I''m a little overly excitable about it. :) teehee. OK, I''ll stop. teeheehee.

IG, are you one of my BMs??? You sound exactly like them!!! It was WAY too expensive! I don''t have the extra cash or enough time off to really enjoy it and I felt like it was a little more exotic than our honeymoon (St. Lucia) so I said "thanks, but no thanks". My FI is spending 5 days in Vegas but I''m thinking someplace a little closer to home.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Haha... Iceland DOES sound fantastic but you make a great point, Sum... if your b-party trip is starting to become more exotic than your HONEYMOON you might need to downgrade a bit!!
9.gif

My MOH was actually pushing for England at first, since we've traveled there together several times and she has family/friends we could stay with... but even with a place to stay, it just seemed a bit too much for my very flat wallet and a bit too involved for a bachelorette weekend. Where else are you guys considering??

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Not nearly as fun as a trip, but for a girlfriend''s bachelorette party I rented a limo and 7 girls spent the day wine tastiing in Amador/Sutter Counties (northern California) and then returned to her house for a good ol'' fashioned sleepover. We made pizza and just hung out, drank more wine and chatted the night away. It was a great time for everyone and right up her alley.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
that''s awesome eph!! we had an alternative b-party too. at the beginning, a coworker of mine was planning on giving a me a night on the town party minus those straws, veils, sashes, tieras or anything else b-party related. well, she ended up moving prior to my party. i figured that would be the end of it. but, my bm and a color of other friends decided that we needed to do something to celebrate. i drove about an hour away to where they live and we went out to dinner (again minus all that b-party garb), followed by going to a wine loft. it was relaxed, and a little more grown up. hope yours is fab as well. i''m sure it will be!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey! Why didn''t *I* think of that for my own alternative bachelorette!!!??? That is an AWESOME idea! You are gonna have a great time!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that sounds GREAT!!!

there''s nothing like girl time, and the older i get the more i realize how precious those old friends are-

can''t wait to hear all about your trip- oh, and pics of course!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I had the more typical b-party (we went to vegas) but I think it is great you found something to do that is perfect for you. Leaving the single life behind (though I didn''t consider myself single for a very, very long time) is a great reason to celebrate. You will have a great time on your trip.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sumbride, the MEN are supposed to go to Iceland, all those blonde super models just hanging around and lots of ice bars with flowing vodka (boy there is some good PR for Iceland going on!!!)

I think that is great. What about a lovely spa, like Canyon Ranch in the Berkshires? Or Twin Farms in Vermont, a lovely spot but might be more for couples. Even a weekend in NY, see a couple of great shows, eat some great dinners, shop, have spa treatments, what could be bad about that?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Can I just say, that Iceland has its fair share of beautiful MEN too. I mean. Seriously. Seriously gorgeous men.

BTW, in case it''s interesting (which come to think of it it''s really not, but whatever) lots of Icelanders actually have black hair because of all the girls they stole from Ireland.

OK, by now I feel like Iceland''s tourism department should send me a ham or something. Or a cod.

I totally get not wanting your b-party to be more exotic than the honeymoon! I was just reading about a music festival in the desert in Mali and I was thinking ''wouldn''t THAT make a great b-party''? But I guess that''s a bit over the top too.

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
I''m also looking for an alternative.... I''ve been to dozens of bachelorette parties, the typcial stripper + limo + bars and at this point I don''t want anything like that.

I''m thinking about just dinner at a winery or something...

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
We sort of did the same. We planned a girls weekend to Chicago and spent a couple nights at the Hard Rock hotel. We shopped, ate lunch, enjoyed cocktails, and then had a very nice dinner out. The best part about it, was that it was only close friends and my aunts and my mom attended. I also didn''t receive any gaudy gifts either which I was the most thankful for!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Eph- that sounds like a fun trip!

I too wanted the non-bachelorette experience. So my gals rented a house in Palm Springs, and I had a FABULOUS weekend hanging out with my 9 closest friends. We partied it up in the house, ate, had a massuese (sp?) come in and give massages, and just lounged by the pool. It was heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results