shape
carat
color
clarity

My Alexandrite engagement ring

Alexandrite

Rough_Rock
First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their posts, this forum answered many of my questions without me even having to write the question. For my girlfriend I wanted to get her an alexandrite for an engagement ring. IMO they are more unique than a diamond and with the nice color change can be much more beautiful. Anyways I wanted to first get an actual alexandrite, I knew of the lab created etc. so I wanted to make sure it was REAL. For me size wasn't as important as was color change and clarity. I ran across this listing on ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item3f07a3b2fe&item=270711108350&nma=true&pt=US_Fine_Rings&rt=nc&si=Dw%252Bc%252BJJnCelFgZjzw1jtJUjUAbY%253D

At first I wasn't 100% sure this would be an authentic stone, not that the seller wasn't reputable from what I could see in the feedback but just because of the fairly low price and of course the UGL grading report! So needless to say I dropped the $250 and hoped for the best. I got the ring in the mail and the pictures didn't do the ring justice. It has a strong traffic light green to a nice purple with specs of red. So I unmounted the stone and sent it off to AGS, and bam it was also graded as natural chrysoberyl alexandrite! So I must say I was pretty happy with that.

The next step was to find a nice new setting for the stone. I know how just about everyone here hates the rose gold/ alexandrite combo but I decided to go with that as it not only goes good with my now fiancées skin tone but I like it better than the standard yellow gold, white gold or platinum that is seen so much more often. I also wanted to get a few diamond accents so while browsing hundreds of rings to just get an idea I found;

http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3859439&kpc=1

So once I saw that I decided that would be the setting more or less. The only things I changed were the prongs from 3 to 4 as IMO it'll be less likely to fall out... and decided to go with an 18k rose gold to get a more desired color for her. That's when I contacted Jewelryhoo from ebay, about two weeks later the rings was in my hands and I must say it came out better then I even could have imagined. The gold when verified was closer to 19k, I was very impressed and would highly recommend all of his ebay stores. To check out the setting they have it relisted here;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280661909733

So the final step was to get the stone mounted to the new setting. I took it to the local B&M and bam the ring was complete and fit perfectly!

I know the pic below is so blurry but what can I do with an iPhone :(( Thanks again and take care.

IMG_1209.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks really pretty! :appl: More pictures needed!

rmm

Rough_Rock
so pretty! congrats!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a very beautiful and unique setting - we need more pictures please!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that is just beautiful!!! Would love more pics!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful. Definitely more pictures please.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very elegant!! Congratulations.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's s beautiful and unique!! Congrats!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! You went to a lot of effort to have a lovely ring made!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the color of the stone! Congrats on your engagement!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd love to see more pictures too! It's so pretty from the one you posted though!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I love your ring! It's so elegant looking!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Alexandrites are among my favorite gems - good choice! And, allow me to add my voice to the chorus asking for more pics .... :appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! You put a lot of thought into that ring! :appl: :appl: :appl:

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
you sure put alot of work and thought into this ring. beautiful work~ :appl:

Unicorn64

Rough_Rock
What a lovely ring. :love: Well done!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results