shape
carat
color
clarity

My 47th Street NYC Diamond District excursion....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As some of you may know, I have been looking for a diamond since January and I think I have now found the perfect one. I haven''t decided on which setting to get, so I decided to go visit two Vatche retailers to see the settings prior to making my decision.
I went to the first store and the salesperson showed me the settings and of course started to ask me what type of diamond I was interested in. When I told him that I had one already, he asked me if it was certified and I told him it had a AGS cert. He then told me he had never heard of such a thing and nobody on 47th street had anything but a GIA cert. for their diamonds. I told him that I thought AGS was equal, maybe even better than GIA, and he told me that the person selling me the diamond was just giving me a bogus appraisal. So, I left.
Next, I went to the other retailer, and once again, as he was showing me the settings, he started asking me what type of diamond I wanted. Again, I told him that I already had one, and again he started asking me what color, clarity, size, etc. When I told him it was AGS certified, he seemed impressed. He told me that AGS certified diamonds were very hard to find around there. He asked me how much I was purchasing the diamond for and I told him the price and he pulled out the Rap sheet and told me I was getting a great deal. He even started telling me that he had purchased an AGS diamond that was smaller than the one I am purchasing, and he paid very close to the Rap sheet, whereas I was saving a few thousand.
The funniest thing was when I told him I was purchasing the stone online, he just could not believe it. He said he would have to start paying closer attention to the internet for now on!!!
I think he told me a total of three times that I was getting a great deal on the diamond.
Well, to end my little story, even though the second guy had the settings I wanted, I am still going to purchase it online. Not only is it cheaper online (I am saving $200), but I don''t pay tax either!!!
tongue.gif

Architect

Rough_Rock
Kayla,
It seems that the incident with the first jeweler you went to happens a lot to people. When you walk into a jewelry store, you expect to at least be treated fairly and hope that the salesperson is going to be honest with you, but it sounded like the first guy you were dealing with was doing what most regular jewelers will do...try to talk you into getting one of thier diamonds by discrediting the diamond you are thinking of getting from somewhere else.
If a jeweler tells you that he never heard of an AGS certificate, then it is time to get up and leave. A jeweler that actually has good knowledge about diamonds will also be aware of all the certifications that are available for them. I find it very disheartening that there are so many jewelers that are out to get the most money out of someone without really giving them the type of diamond they are really looking for. The best thing for anyone to do is to do your research and become familiar with diamonds before going out to buy one. I don't understand how some people are willing to spend thousands of dollars on a diamond, yet they do not take the time to research a little bit of information before they head out to their local jeweler.
It sounds like you did your research and were able to walk away without falling into the typical jewelers trap
1.gif

stylechild

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I just saw your post as I was researching some gemology and it really annoyed me.
29.gif
Not you, but the idiots on 47th st or wherever you were asking about the AGS certificate. I am a graduate gemologist from GIA and have been working in the industry for almost 8 years now. For a while I was working for a wholesaler who specialized in ideal cut diamonds. True ideal cut diamonds (not the junk that these second rate labs grade as 'ideal'). Anyway, I always advise my clients to get GIA or AGS certs. Either are legitamate. So, my apologies that you had to deal with someone in the jewelry industry who is not well educated or downright deceitful. AGS is an excellent certificate to have. And to tell you the truth my engagement ring is certified by AGS. By the sound of it, you got a great deal! Good for you
36.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2006 3:54:37 PM
Author: stylechild
Hi there,
I just saw your post as I was researching some gemology and it really annoyed me.
29.gif
Not you, but the idiots on 47th st or wherever you were asking about the AGS certificate. I am a graduate gemologist from GIA and have been working in the industry for almost 8 years now. For a while I was working for a wholesaler who specialized in ideal cut diamonds. True ideal cut diamonds (not the junk that these second rate labs grade as ''ideal''). Anyway, I always advise my clients to get GIA or AGS certs. Either are legitamate. So, my apologies that you had to deal with someone in the jewelry industry who is not well educated or downright deceitful. AGS is an excellent certificate to have. And to tell you the truth my engagement ring is certified by AGS. By the sound of it, you got a great deal! Good for you
36.gif
Welcome to Pricescope Stylechild. Nice to hear from voices with experience.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results