shape
carat
color
clarity

My 2 OEC Reset Projects

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
It''s been ages since I posted but I''ve been lurking on and off for the past year or so. I got a new job in late 2007 that kept me too busy to post but now that things have settled down a little bit I wanted to share my two OEC re-set projects.

The first is my .85ct transitional/oec. The faceting has an even flower-like pattern which makes me think it''s a transitional. It''s an approximate I-J and eye clean. It has a creamy warmth to it that I love. I wore this in a thin micropave 6-prong setting for a while, with a matching micropave band, but got bitten by DSS and since we couldn''t afford an upgrade, I went for a halo. I got the setting custom made by LOGR in Jan 2008, modified from a setting that was originally meant for a oval. This was before LOGR became popular and their prices went up, so I got the setting for a very reasonable $200 or so. I''d never heard of LOGR but Stephan was very polite and responsive so I thought it was worth the gamble to see if I liked the look of a halo and if I didn''t, I''d just put in a semi precious stone and wear it as a RHR. As it turned out, I loved the look! The halo is very delicate and I love the thin band. The only issue I have is the distance between the prongs was actually too small for my OEC so it is set a little bit higher than I would like. But that said, I love the fire thrown off from the exposed crown when the ring is in profile
30.gif

The second diamond is a true OEC with larger facets at the bottom. It''s an L-M colour that ranges from a pretty light yellow to a warmer deep cream colour. It''s approximately .90ct and I had it in a Tiffany inspired solitaire setting for a while before deciding to get it re-set when I went to Singapore recently for a short holiday. The re-set was a bit of a disaster because I had no clear idea in mind as to what I wanted, all I knew was I wanted a setting that would emphasise the colour of the diamond, so I asked for the whitest possible melee to be set with it. I also knew I wanted a plain band on the setting. The re-set cost me SGD$500 (about US$350) for approx .20ct F coloured melee in the halo and 18ct white gold in the setting. It was a reasonable price but the halo was set too far from the diamond and the whole effect is just too ''big''. It swamps my 2.75 finger and I''ve been too embarassed to wear it anywhere. My mum loves the setting and has offered to buy it from me if I''m still not comfortable with it. So ladies, is it my imagination or is the new setting too much? I''d love some feedback.

Without further adieu, here are the pictures
1.gif

Firrst the transitional. I wear this every day and the LOGR setting has lasted the test of time. I haven''t lost a single diamond from the setting and I have banged it around by acccident. The diamonds in the melee are not perfect but they do sparkle in the sun.

2009_0328singholiday0043.JPG

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
In the sun...

2009_0328singholiday0046.JPG

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
With micropave band and sapphire band

2009_0328singholiday0048.JPG

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
With half-eternity ring

2009_0328singholiday0049.JPG

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
The second re-set...

2009_0328singholiday0052.JPG

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Showing its body colour

2009_0328singholiday0054.JPG

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Profile...

2009_0328singholiday0055.JPG

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock

Last one...

Thanks for letting me share

35.gif

2009_0328singholiday0057.JPG

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous rings, thanks for sharing!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. So you''ve made my cravings for a OEC like TEN TIMES WORSE.

They are so beautiful....

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi wolftress :)

i think your first ring is gorgeous, but i do see the problems with your second. i''m not fond of being able to see the structural supports that run from the halo to the center stone - it does make it seem a tad heavy and as tho the center stone isn''t as well connected to the halo detail as it might be. i think the overly large airline makes the ring look less elegant than it otherwise might; it''s not that the ring is too large for your hand, it''s just that the gap between stone and halo makes the setting look like it''s too big, period. i''d keep the setting and substitute a garnet. or a spinel. or a sapphire, aqua, or tsavorite! something that was large enough to fill the halo. you cant really lose with that one. but for that gorgeous colored center stone, i''d be thinking about a james meyer setting. he does wonderful double bezel work - platinum bezel surrounded by a yellow gold bezel. this would allow the creamy yellow overtones of the stone to show through clearly - being against a plat bezel - but the yellow gold would then complement and accentuate the center stone.

perhaps worth looking into...

good luck! :)

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 4:58:31 AM
Author: whitby_2773

i think your first ring is gorgeous, but i do see the problems with your second. i''m not fond of being able to see the structural supports that run from the halo to the center stone - it does make it seem a tad heavy and as tho the center stone isn''t as well connected to the halo detail as it might be. i think the overly large airline makes the ring look less elegant than it otherwise might; it''s not that the ring is too large for your hand, it''s just that the gap between stone and halo makes the setting look like it''s too big, period. i''d keep the setting and substitute a garnet. or a spinel. or a sapphire, aqua, or tsavorite! something that was large enough to fill the halo. you cant really lose with that one. but for that gorgeous colored center stone, i''d be thinking about a james meyer setting. he does wonderful double bezel work - platinum bezel surrounded by a yellow gold bezel. this would allow the creamy yellow overtones of the stone to show through clearly - being against a plat bezel - but the yellow gold would then complement and accentuate the center stone.

I have to agree with Whitby completely... Love the first ring, it looks great on your finger!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Whitby on the 2nd ring.

The first ring looks great on you! Thank you for sharing your photos. I remember you posting some time ago about buying one of these stones and I''ve always been hoping you''d come back with photos.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 6:48:15 AM
Author: Addy
I agree with Whitby on the 2nd ring.

The first ring looks great on you! Thank you for sharing your photos. I remember you posting some time ago about buying one of these stones and I''ve always been hoping you''d come back with photos.

ditto. I''m in love with that first one. I can see what Whitby is saying with the second one but I still think it''s gorgeous.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the first one also. What a gorgeous ring
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 2:16:18 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Ok. So you''ve made my cravings for a OEC like TEN TIMES WORSE.

They are so beautiful....
There is nothing quite like an old cut diamond... people are always squinting at my rings and trying to figure out why they throw off so many colours.

Here''s some enabling dust for your first OEC, Freke! **********OEC DUST****************

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 4:58:31 AM
Author: whitby_2773

Thanks, Whitby! You''ve hit the nail on the head about why the second setting doesn''t sit right with me. I''m afraid it would be quite hard to replace the centre stone with a larger coloured one because the OEC currently sits in a basket made especially for that stone. I would need to get the entire basket replaced. Not sure if that would be very difficult to do, maybe someone who knows about basket settings could chime in?

I''ve been eyeing the James Meyer bezels that have been popping up all over PS lately and I love the band you bought from him recently. Mmmm that milgrain
30.gif
I''ve also been tossing around the idea of asking Sally at Heart of Water Jewels to custom make a bezel setting for me. The more bezels I see the more I want one!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Beechezz :) Is that your cat in your avatar? He/She is gorgeous!

Thank you, Addy! I remember you chiming in on my thread and I''m so glad I bought the stone in the end. I have a real addiction to these old cuts!

Thanks, bee! Sometimes I think I like the second ring, other times I think it''s too ''Mariah Carey'' for my tastes!

Thank you, MMT :) I''m so glad I halo-ed it. It sure put an end to DSS... for now....
11.gif
I love your rings too especially the fact that your RB is a K. They look gorgeous on you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results