shape
carat
color
clarity

My 1.5 ct thin french cut platinum ering from James Allen!

serinatran

Rough_Rock
So I was a major lurker on these boards and learned a whole lot of things from all the helpful people on here. Now it's my turn to share with y'all pics of my engagement ring from my wonderful fiance! It's a 1.5 carat round brillant cut, H color, GIA excellent, eyeclean SI2. The setting is the thin french cut pave platinum band from James Allen.

Here's a couple of things that I learned after I got this ring that I think would be helpful to those still shopping.

1. There is nothing like actually seeing the diamond. No amount of HCA scores or clarity plot graphs or ASET image or Idealscope image will tell you how a diamond will perform in person although they will give you a pretty good idea. So if you can afford the slight extra markup of dealing with a local jeweler that is the best way to automatically screen out a diamond that doesn't "sparkle" like crazy. However, online is where you will get the best deals so if you don't mind taking the time and hassle of possibly sending back a diamond then it's the best bang for your buck. My fiance had to return two diamonds before he ended up with the one he proposed with. So if you do buy online, make sure to buy from a vendor with an excellent return policy.
2. Try to find the lowest clarity diamond that is still eyeclean. This will give you the best bang for your buck. It is extremely rare to find an eyeclean SI2 but they do exist! Of course everyone's definition of eye clean is different but I was so surprised by how eyeclean my diamond is. I could barely find the inclusions even under a loupe with a clarity plot. They are a little more apparent from the side but even then I have to tilt it a certain way and look at it at closeup at a few inches to see them. The thing to look for is to find something with a lot of little inclusions spread out. Try to find something where the major inclusion is twinning wisps. As long as they are spread out, even if the inclusion plot looks scary if they are small enough they will still be eyeclean. Remember that most diamonds are viewed from the top at a distance of 6 inches or more. The main inclusion you will want to avoid is a black carbon spot in the middle of the table which is really obvious and visible to the eye. I like James Allen because they have pictures of the diamond... I would not risk buying online without at least a picture. It really does help to screen out the ones that might not be eyeclean. Sometimes, when looking at the online pictures because they are blown up so much it might seem as though certain inclusions are obvious but just look at the smaller picture not blown up to get an idea if you might see the inclusions are not.
3. The most important determining factor for brilliance and fire is the cut. Make sure you find the best cut diamond. Of course not all GIA excellent cuts are the same! That's why it's important to actually see the diamond. A well cut diamond will also help to hide any inclusions. The HCA tool is a good predictor of cut in addition to the GIA or AGS ratings.
4. My diamond had a medium blue flourescence. It really helps to make the diamond look whiter in most lighting conditions. However, I wish I had known that in direct sunlight you can actually see a slight bluish tint. If you are sensitive to color, I would not go lower than H in color. I think my diamond is extremely white faceup in the platinum setting however from the side if you look very carefully, you can start to see a hint of color.

Here are some things I wish I had known about the thin french cut pave platinum setting from James Allen. It was one of the more inexpensive pave settings that I could find. However there weren't many reviews from people that had actually purchased this setting when I was looking online.

1. This is not technically true pave setting. Each diamond has four prongs to hold it instead of shared prongs. I actually like this better though as it feels like the diamond stones are more securely set with 4 individual prongs. I was worried a lot about stones falling out of a pave setting but no issues so far.
2. This setting will not sit flush with the matching diamond wedding band. I wish I had known this before I purchased. I'm not sure if it's because the center stone is a bit too large but the prongs extend out from the band so it will not sit flush. Now I have to decide if I want to get a curved band that will sit flush or a straight band that will have a gap. It might be better to get the regular french cut pave setting as that is a little thicker (2.1mm instead of 1.6-1.7mm) so perhaps the prongs might not extend out with a larger center stone. However, I do love the way this setting looks by itself as the center stone POPS out against the very thin band. I've had a lot of people comment that it looks bigger than 1.5 carats for this reason. Because the band is so thin though I definitely recommend getting this setting only if you have very small fingers. I am a size 3.25.
3. If you get a big center stone on a thin band, be prepared for it to twist a lot! I have to get the ring a little bit bigger so that it fits over my knuckle and in case my hand swells in hot weather so it is a bit loose. But because of the heavy weight of the big center stone, I find that I am constantly having to readjust it because it twists and the center diamond is not centered on my finger. It is a bit annoying but I still love the way the proportion of the center diamond looks in relation to the band so I am willing to deal with it but it's definitely something you should consider if you are thinking about getting a setting like this.

Hope all of this info helps someone else. Sorry for how blurry the picture is from my camera phone. I will try and take a better pic later.

_1189.jpg

cabbitstar

Rough_Rock
Re: My 1.5 ct thin french cut platinum ering from James Alle

I love seeing detailed posts like this, they are really helpful! Your ring looks amazing. :D

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Your ring is beautiful! :love: You should be proud to wear it. I wish you and your fiance a happy, fruitful life together! :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Great post, serinatran!

Love your ring- it looks beautiful on those long gorgeous fingers!! That diamond and setting totally pops on your hand - you made a fantastic selection (or your fiance did) and it looks stunning. Congratulations on your engagement and please post more pics so we can enjoy it in all its glory!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations on your engagement! Your ring is gorgeous :love:
Very nice of you to write such a detailed report of your diamond purchasing experience. I'm sure many people will find it to be very helpful. :))

justginger

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations - your ring is gorgeous! One solution to the spinning issue could be to add some sizing beads to the inside of your ring. You will still be able to get it over your knuckle, but it will fit more snugly to your finger once it's all the way on. Spinning rings drive me bonkers!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous!! I think it loks huge because of your 3.25 finger size!!!! Is the band an eternity? If not you can definitely put sizing balls in - I LOVE them and have them in a bunch of my top heavy rings.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful!!! More pictures please!!!! :appl:

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock

Congratulations, your ring is beautiful, I love the thin band and how it makes the centre pop. :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful ring!!! :love: :love: :love:

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock

Sweet ring!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful ring and hand!

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful!! I would love to see more photos :love:
It POPS so much!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovely ring, congrats!! I think a small gap between the e-ring and band looks great personally!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What an elegant and gorgeous ring!!!

Don't worry about the slight blue-ish tint. It is most likely the sky. My diamond with no fluorescence, H, also goes blue when I step outside on a nice sunny day with blue skies. :)

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

That ring turned out great. Is classic and very lovely ...you have beautiful hands to go with it!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so jealous of your teeny tiny fingers!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

gorgeous, congrats!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's it?!! One picture?!! No, no, no, that will not do! We need more photos - stat - before we go into diamond diabetic shock!

shakenrocks

Rough_Rock

thanks for the detailed post! this helped me a ton! I have a diamond on hold and haven't seen it in person yet and your tips are very valuable! looking forward to seeing more photos!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

I love it! More pictures pleeeeease!!!

TaterTots

Shiny_Rock

Your ring is stunning I would love to see more pictures! Please! :bigsmile:

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock

Oh, YUM! :love:

I second TaterTots - we "need" more pictures! Lots more!

Thanks for the super-helpful post!

serinatran

Rough_Rock

Sorry for the super late replies but here are some more pics. These are all professional pics of the ring from my wedding photographer. I am an extremely sucky photographer so hence the long wait.

rings001.jpg

rings002.jpg

rings003.jpg

rings004.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results