shape
carat
color
clarity

Must have exercise equipment?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that if you are motivated you can certainly find low tech inexpensive space saving exercises. It all depends on what you enjoy doing so you will keep doing it. Personally I don't enjoy fitness classes or DVDs or other space saving techniques but love working out on my Arc Trainer and Pilates Reformer etc so I keep with it. This is what works for me but TooPatient if you find you enjoy lower cost lower tech space saving exercises more power to you and that is a great way to go. I was just sharing my must have exercise equipment with you.

I was a gym rat for years and in awesome shape thanks to an outstanding trainer. He left the area, I had foot surgery and things fell apart. I wanted something different this time around so I bought Shaun T's insanity workout cds and his Hip Hop Abs cds. You don't need to work with weights to get muscle tone and you don't need fancy at-home gym equipment for cardio. If that's what you want, fine, but there are other ways to get results without taking up a lot of $$ and room in the house.

Agreed and Matata I am sorry you had that foot injury. When I broke my Tibia and Fibula that was pretty much the end of high impact exercises and no more running for me. But we adapt and make our exercise routine work for us and that is what matters. Moving and feeling better and stronger. However one can get that is a win IMO. Low tech, no tech or high tech. Doesn't matter as long as one is willing to keep doing it every day.

Phoenix thanks for the info. I know not to rest per se while lifting weights but what I meant was I have trouble lifting them slowly. I am not doing heavy weights as I just want to tone/firm and not build muscle so I think we have different goals in mind. I do appreciate your generous sharing of info and will take what you wrote and see if I can work on my butt. It needs all the help it can get!

@missy , thank you for your detailed reply. Wowza!!

A couple of things, Missy: first, pilates: I've never tried that. I've always done weights + some cardio. How different is pilates and if I already do weights 4 times a week, would I still benefit from pilates? Second, the gravity "thing" and slow movements: if you do very intense heavy weights, you'd take care of the gravity issue (everything gets lifted) and the movements are so intense and take so much out of you that you're actually begging for mercy/ dying to have a few moments to rest, but in fact proper weight-training requires that you NOT rest, as the muscles need constant movements/ sets to be done one after another, straightaway. You will burn soooo bad that you don't even have time to think about the movements being too slow, trust me! lol

Re the gravity thing, this is what one's butt should become when one does enough intensive weight-lifting. This woman, who I'm hoping will agree to be my new PT, is turning 40 soon and look at her! (Pic taken from her IG account, I hope she won't mind, I know she's setting up a new business and website ATM)

upload_2017-11-8_1-7-45.png

And that is an impressive body on your potential PT but I have to add almost 40 isn't the same as 52 plus LOL. In any case I actually don't love the look of that hard body for me but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like long and lean muscles though so we are on the same page with that.

Re your question about Pilates. I think it adds to any routine. It is a great stretching workout and with resistance bands to help firm and tone and increase muscle strength and is also a great core workout. It is good for the back and abdomen and good for balanced muscular strength on both sides of your body.

Pilates adds to my control, breathing, concentration, precision of movements
and flow and it allows me to center myself. It helps me focus, breathe and move with more grace and flexibility. In addition to strengthening my core. You sure don't need a Reformer to do Pilates but I wouldn't enjoy doing mat Pilates. The reformer makes it an enjoyable activity for me. I also don't want to have to get up (and down to) from the floor LOL.

Without even trying my abdominal muscles are more toned now (from Pilates) and I don't do any kind of mat exercises like situps or pushups etc as I find them incredibly boring. I admire those who can do these exercises but I don't want to since I don't enjoy it at all. But the Pilates I love. It also helps me feel a mind body connection and as I am doing the exercises I feel peaceful and content.

I think getting a strong core in Pilates mat will help you do full body exercises in the weight room if that makes sense.
Pilates is great but it shouldn't be a primary workout, and it doesn't burn a significant amount of calories. Rather it is a wonderful complement to cardio and weight lifting.

I'd like to get a bit more lift in my butt but I think my genetics are limiting me that way. I don't think I will ever have a bootylicious butt though I would love one. This is the best I can do (and the most revealing pics I am willing to share here haha)

backofmkmoto.jpg

cyclingshortsbontragerprofile.JPG

Thank you for your kind sharing of weight info. I appreciate it and will read more about it to see if perhaps I shouldn't just give up in that area.

The main point I was making for TooPatient and anyone else who is trying to get back into (or start) working out and getting healthier is first and foremost you have to find something you will stick with long term. Over the long haul. There is no quick fix and there is no perfect activity if you don't want to and will not do it on a regular basis. You have to find something you will enjoy enough to stick with. So sure there are tons of low tech and inexpensive activities you can do that take up no space whatsoever. The question is will you stick with it. The exercises I shared with you guys are exercises I have basically been successfully doing for decades with the exception of the Pilates Reformer which I purchased while I was rehabbing from my broken bones and with the blessing of my PT who introduced me to this piece of equipment in the first place. So the Pilates Reformer I have been doing for the shortest time but still well over 3 years. So that is key. Find what you enjoy and can do on a regular basis and you will get healthier and more fit. It's not so much what you are doing but that you are moving every single day and making it work for you.

One more piece of advice. For those just starting out. Start slowly. Take baby steps. Build up your activity each week carefully and don't over do. Much easier to start slow and work up gently to your goals. You are less likely to quit this way. And less likely to injure yourself as well. One day at a time. And when you aren't in the mood tell yourself just 5 minutes and then another 5 minutes and before you know it you will have accomplished what you set out to do. Slow and steady wins this journey IMO.

And sorry if I talked (wrote) too much. Just writing as my thoughts flow. I just hope it helps anyone who is unsure of how to start. The hardest part is just getting started and if you choose the right activities for you it will be much easier once you just get started. As the Nike motto goes...Just Do It!

Good luck to all and keep us posted!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome ideas!

I am looking for a good combination of aerobic, strength/toning, and flexibility.

Already have:

Treadmill (can't remember the brand, but nice wide & long track with incline settings)
Exercise bicycle (need to get new control panel as it isn't working right now)
Small weights up to 20 pounds
2 pound ankle/wrist weights
Jump ropes
Yoga everything (mats, blocks, bands, videos, balls, etc)
Resistance bands

You've got some good equipment, already, so not sure I can add any useful comments.

A person's goals, available space and likelihood of using the equipment are all key considerations.
I have an eliptical that I like using.
Personally, I prefer the idea of jogging rather than biking. I wanted to be upright, rather than sitting. That ruled out a stationary bike. I choose the eliptical, rather than a treadmill, to minimize/avoid the joint impact from running. Trying the different elipticals in the store, I found some didn't feel sturdy and some didn't feel natural - almost as though the orbit of rotation didn't match my own movement when running (if that makes any sense).

Having a complete gym at home is a waste if the equipment won't be used, so I'd recommend thinking about what you enjoy and whether you need more equipment. If not used, its just more clutter and something that needs dusting. :doh:

Congrats on everything you're doing to be healthy! Exercise- and nutrition-wise. =)2

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't you also go to a gym, @LLJsmom ?

Yup, got gym membership, Bar Method membership, Barry’s Bootcamp as well. But if you don’t have any memberships, all those DVDs and some weights will get in decent shape at home. 15 years ago before I joined any gyms, I did all my workouts at home with DVDs and weights and I️ lost all my baby weight. It’s a viable option for people who don’t want to join a gym.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that if you are motivated you can certainly find low tech inexpensive space saving exercises. It all depends on what you enjoy doing so you will keep doing it. Personally I don't enjoy fitness classes or DVDs or other space saving techniques but love working out on my Arc Trainer and Pilates Reformer etc so I keep with it. This is what works for me but TooPatient if you find you enjoy lower cost lower tech space saving exercises more power to you and that is a great way to go. I was just sharing my must have exercise equipment with you.

Agreed and Matata I am sorry you had that foot injury. When I broke my Tibia and Fibula that was pretty much the end of high impact exercises and no more running for me. But we adapt and make our exercise routine work for us and that is what matters. Moving and feeling better and stronger. However one can get that is a win IMO. Low tech, no tech or high tech. Doesn't matter as long as one is willing to keep doing it every day.

Phoenix thanks for the info. I know not to rest per se while lifting weights but what I meant was I have trouble lifting them slowly. I am not doing heavy weights as I just want to tone/firm and not build muscle so I think we have different goals in mind. I do appreciate your generous sharing of info and will take what you wrote and see if I can work on my butt. It needs all the help it can get!

And that is an impressive body on your potential PT but I have to add almost 40 isn't the same as 52 plus LOL. In any case I actually don't love the look of that hard body for me but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like long and lean muscles though so we are on the same page with that.

Re your question about Pilates. I think it adds to any routine. It is a great stretching workout and with resistance bands to help firm and tone and increase muscle strength and is also a great core workout. It is good for the back and abdomen and good for balanced muscular strength on both sides of your body.

Pilates adds to my control, breathing, concentration, precision of movements
and flow and it allows me to center myself. It helps me focus, breathe and move with more grace and flexibility. In addition to strengthening my core. You sure don't need a Reformer to do Pilates but I wouldn't enjoy doing mat Pilates. The reformer makes it an enjoyable activity for me. I also don't want to have to get up (and down to) from the floor LOL.

Without even trying my abdominal muscles are more toned now (from Pilates) and I don't do any kind of mat exercises like situps or pushups etc as I find them incredibly boring. I admire those who can do these exercises but I don't want to since I don't enjoy it at all. But the Pilates I love. It also helps me feel a mind body connection and as I am doing the exercises I feel peaceful and content.

I think getting a strong core in Pilates mat will help you do full body exercises in the weight room if that makes sense.
Pilates is great but it shouldn't be a primary workout, and it doesn't burn a significant amount of calories. Rather it is a wonderful complement to cardio and weight lifting.

I'd like to get a bit more lift in my butt but I think my genetics are limiting me that way. I don't think I will ever have a bootylicious butt though I would love one. This is the best I can do (and the most revealing pics I am willing to share here haha)

backofmkmoto.jpg

cyclingshortsbontragerprofile.JPG

Thank you for your kind sharing of weight info. I appreciate it and will read more about it to see if perhaps I shouldn't just give up in that area.

The main point I was making for TooPatient and anyone else who is trying to get back into (or start) working out and getting healthier is first and foremost you have to find something you will stick with long term. Over the long haul. There is no quick fix and there is no perfect activity if you don't want to and will not do it on a regular basis. You have to find something you will enjoy enough to stick with. So sure there are tons of low tech and inexpensive activities you can do that take up no space whatsoever. The question is will you stick with it. The exercises I shared with you guys are exercises I have basically been successfully doing for decades with the exception of the Pilates Reformer which I purchased while I was rehabbing from my broken bones and with the blessing of my PT who introduced me to this piece of equipment in the first place. So the Pilates Reformer I have been doing for the shortest time but still well over 3 years. So that is key. Find what you enjoy and can do on a regular basis and you will get healthier and more fit. It's not so much what you are doing but that you are moving every single day and making it work for you.

One more piece of advice. For those just starting out. Start slowly. Take baby steps. Build up your activity each week carefully and don't over do. Much easier to start slow and work up gently to your goals. You are less likely to quit this way. And less likely to injure yourself as well. One day at a time. And when you aren't in the mood tell yourself just 5 minutes and then another 5 minutes and before you know it you will have accomplished what you set out to do. Slow and steady wins this journey IMO.

And sorry if I talked (wrote) too much. Just writing as my thoughts flow. I just hope it helps anyone who is unsure of how to start. The hardest part is just getting started and if you choose the right activities for you it will be much easier once you just get started. As the Nike motto goes...Just Do It!

Good luck to all and keep us posted!

Love all of this!
Exercise seems to be a super personal choice. What works for one doesn't for another either due to genetics or preference or limitations or whatever. I love hearing about what everyone has or uses. Seeing what everyone likes and why is giving me a lot to think about as I plan our spaces and also decide how much we want to spend on different equipment.

Awesome reminder to start small! I have tried before to jump in head first and end up either hurting myself of just not able to keep up with the time demands. It is so easy to get excited about making healthy changes (or a new gadget to use or group to meet goal to meet or whatever) that it just happens.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, thank you so much for all that very helpful information. I will certainly look into Pilates.

And wowza!! You look AMAZING!!:clap:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No one will read my post/it will be unpopular but I'll make it anyway because TOO Patient your weight issues, here, are longstanding.

You have exercise equipment at home that by and large seems to go unused. Why spend more money on things you wont use as filling your space with more equipment won't reduce your overeating/drinking.

Spend what money you have on a dedicated/accountable weight reduction program at a hospital or accredited/recognized faculty. Bariatric programs might be a start because they are multifocal
incorporate dietitians, psychologists, MD's , help to provide a program that might work for you.

But only you can be accountable.

cheers--Sharon

f

cheer--Sharon

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its easy and tempting to buy kitchen appliances, gym equipment, gadgets and cute exercise clothes that we hope will cause us to eat better, loss excess fat and build muscle. People spend lots of money looking for the key to improvements in health.

Unfortunately, many homes have dusty juicers and treadmills, and many gym memberships are nothing but an expenditure, as they go unused.

I think our lives can be so busy and stressful that those factors can be reasons (excuses?) behind us not exercising or eating better.

@TooPatient , I was actually surprised to see your list of current exercise equipment. You have a lot, already. Do you find you use it? Do you have a structured approach to exercise; such as every morning from 5:30-6:00 a.m.? Not that you need to do half an hour a day to see results; that's just an example. Exercise doesn't have to take a lot of time. Similarly, healthy eating can be achieved by changing some habits - and not letting some stuff find its way into our grocery carts!

We tend to do lots for others; we should make looking after our bodies something we do for ourselves.

Go a week without eating bread, cereal, muffins, cookies, potatoes, rice, etc. In other words, starch.
Its possible. Seriously.
Go for a brisk walk (no strolling/sauntering), climb stairs, something, for ten minutes a day.

Honestly looking at what we do and eat is important.
I knew someone who went to Weight Watchers, but stopped at a burger/french fry place on her way home from the meetings. Uh, yeah, she didn't seem to be getting in better shape.
I've also seen people 'treat' themselves frequently, or have 'a little piece' that wasn't little at all.

I'm not asking you to answer questions I posed, or implying that you're taking a wrong approach to exercise. Just voicing my thoughts, perhaps in the wrong forum.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :wavey:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No one will read my post/it will be unpopular but I'll make it anyway because TOO Patient your weight issues, here, are longstanding.

You have exercise equipment at home that by and large seems to go unused. Why spend more money on things you wont use as filling your space with more equipment won't reduce your overeating/drinking.

Spend what money you have on a dedicated/accountable weight reduction program at a hospital or accredited/recognized faculty. Bariatric programs might be a start because they are multifocal
incorporate dietitians, psychologists, MD's , help to provide a program that might work for you.

But only you can be accountable.

cheers--Sharon

f

cheer--Sharon

Very true!

I was thinking I would give it one last go on my own and then look into what my doctor can do. Accountable is definitely something I have to work on!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its easy and tempting to buy kitchen appliances, gym equipment, gadgets and cute exercise clothes that we hope will cause us to eat better, loss excess fat and build muscle. People spend lots of money looking for the key to improvements in health.

Unfortunately, many homes have dusty juicers and treadmills, and many gym memberships are nothing but an expenditure, as they go unused.

I think our lives can be so busy and stressful that those factors can be reasons (excuses?) behind us not exercising or eating better.

@TooPatient , I was actually surprised to see your list of current exercise equipment. You have a lot, already. Do you find you use it? Do you have a structured approach to exercise; such as every morning from 5:30-6:00 a.m.? Not that you need to do half an hour a day to see results; that's just an example. Exercise doesn't have to take a lot of time. Similarly, healthy eating can be achieved by changing some habits - and not letting some stuff find its way into our grocery carts!

We tend to do lots for others; we should make looking after our bodies something we do for ourselves.

Go a week without eating bread, cereal, muffins, cookies, potatoes, rice, etc. In other words, starch.
Its possible. Seriously.
Go for a brisk walk (no strolling/sauntering), climb stairs, something, for ten minutes a day.

Honestly looking at what we do and eat is important.
I knew someone who went to Weight Watchers, but stopped at a burger/french fry place on her way home from the meetings. Uh, yeah, she didn't seem to be getting in better shape.
I've also seen people 'treat' themselves frequently, or have 'a little piece' that wasn't little at all.

I'm not asking you to answer questions I posed, or implying that you're taking a wrong approach to exercise. Just voicing my thoughts, perhaps in the wrong forum.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :wavey:

Most of the little stuff sits unused (jump ropes, etc) since my bad ankle sprain. I do use the resistance bands to help strengthen around my ankle to try to get to where I can just not think about being careful of it anymore.

The exercise bicycle was great. I used it for 30 minutes a day until it broke and I just haven't taken the time to order the new part. Crazy, but there it is. (Need to get on that!)

The treadmill has actually been great because I don't do well with walking outside in the damp. I've been using it for 10 minutes here and 20 there as I have time. (So yesterday I did 15 minutes at 3mph then studied for an hour then another 15 minutes at 3mph then study) This seems to be maintainable.

I loved my 30 Day Shred dvd and had been using it until I hurt my ankle. Now I have bad ankle pain even if I do super careful modified exercises with it.

It definitely does seem to be a challenge finding that which I like and can do along with what I can fit in my schedule easily enough to actually keep up with.

One option I'm looking at is the little treadmills that are meant to be used with standing desks. Since I spend so much time on my computer, that might be a good way to have exercise worked into what I'm already doing.

Food... Yeah, trying to track this with my Fitbit to keep me accountable.
I get sick when I eat wheat so that is already gone from my diet. Sugar is also near gone. DH loves rice with every meal. I've been working to get away from that in favor of more veggies, beans, etc.
I have gone to 1/2 glass of wine maybe twice per week (instead of nightly) and drink just water or fresh made tea (mostly herbal) through the day.

So, yep! Definitely dust collectors. Need to figure out a good (sustainable) routine and stick with it.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient ,

It sounds like you're doing great!

Obviously, with a sprained ankle you need to limit what you do until your ankle heals.
I think 10-15 minute stretches on the treadmill are a wonderful way to fit in exercise while taking a mental break from the studies.

You seem to be taking the right steps, so maybe determining a sustainable routine is all you need.
In terms of sticking with it, it might help if you are able to view it as 'your time', and eating healthy as something that is 'for you'.

Good luck! =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results