shape
carat
color
clarity

Multi colored sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a sapphire like this one or something similar. I thought I was on the hunt for a blue sapphire but I have come across two sapphires like this one that are not color changers or color shifters but rather appear to be almost marbled several colors together and I''m so drawn to them. I''ve never seen anything like it. I can see why many people wouldn''t like them as they are not a solid uniform color but I think that may be what I like about them. Do I need a trip to the loony bin for considering one of these type (though hopefully in lighter colors) for an engagement ring?!

multisapphire918.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if this would be considered colour zoning?
34.gif

But if you love it and it doesn't cost a fortune (which it shouldn't because it isn't a desired characteristic), then by all means, get something similar to it.
2.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
if they throw you in the looney bin I suppose I would have to go as well. I thought I was the only one! I saw a few on one website but wasn''t sure how reputable they were, but gosh the colors just mesmerized me...

i almost bought this one...

search_sapph.jpg

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
If you love it, get it! I actually really like the one you almost bought kas!

FinewaterGems

Rough_Rock
Trade
I''m still kicking myself for not buying a multi-colored sapphire that I saw in Ratnapura, Sri Lanka. An oval - yellow at both ends and colorless in the middle. It was more novel than pretty, but it wasn''t very expensive either. I think now I should have gotten it for my personal collection.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gary,
In your case of the one that got away, it sounds pretty interesting because there is a clear pattern to it, almost like a stripe right down the middle. I’m not too crazy about stones showing different colours in a haphazard fashion. Everyone has different tastes though.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Admit me as well. I love unique stones too.
2.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
In the case of the one I posted it has some red, purple and blue. It almost makes me feel like I''d be getting a sapphire/ruby all in one stone! I know I love the look. Just wondering if it''s a mistake to choose a stone like that for an e-ring.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I certainly don''t think it would be a mistake. A mistake would be buying something that you didn''t love. after all, its an e-ring, you''ll be wearing it most days if not every day. I like the idea of having a multi-colored sapphire. I think it would make your e-ring just that much more uniquely yours.
1.gif

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/8/2009 2:10:01 PM
Author:stepcutgirl
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a sapphire like this one or something similar. I thought I was on the hunt for a blue sapphire but I have come across two sapphires like this one that are not color changers or color shifters but rather appear to be almost marbled several colors together and I''m so drawn to them. I''ve never seen anything like it. I can see why many people wouldn''t like them as they are not a solid uniform color but I think that may be what I like about them. Do I need a trip to the loony bin for considering one of these type (though hopefully in lighter colors) for an engagement ring?!

Hi, (I''m new here!)

I think I have one very similar in my collection. It was purchased in a parcel of gem rough from Sri Lanka in 2005. The rough exhibited heavy dirt like inclusions - i don''t know what else to call it. I sent it off to Astergems in China for commercial faceting because it was quite small and a problem stone, I''d have to dig to find it, it''s probably around 1 ct size.

The one I have is fascinating, but looks a bit brownish or dirty, or mauve. The inclusions might block quite a bit iof the light return. Your stone might be worth it depending on the price, just make sure you can return it if not happy. I love stones with interesting inclusions - many times it makes them more unique, beautiful AND affordable - plus you know right off the bat that they are natural material.

Jeff

FinewaterGems

Rough_Rock
Trade
Keep in mind that the camera usually seems to show more zoning than you can see with the naked eye. In real life, the stone is moviing around and the individual colors tend to "blend", especially in brilliant cuts.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 3:07:55 PM
Author: FinewaterGems
Keep in mind that the camera usually seems to show more zoning than you can see with the naked eye. In real life, the stone is moviing around and the individual colors tend to ''blend'', especially in brilliant cuts.

Thank you. That is actually super helpful. I''m not looking to buy right now but hopefully in the next few months so I''m super crossing my fingers another one I have my eye on will be available. DO you think bezeling a stone like this would do anything to the multi color look?

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
And I love the stone you posted kas! What web site was that from?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I found it at planetarygems.com

I''m really new to colored gems, heck, in jewelry in general! but when I came here I went to the "sites that sell colored gems" thread and went to all of them... I saw this on my ''expedition,'' lol...

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, that web site does look a little hoaxy.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I think its a nice idea to get something individual for and e ring. If you love it, and its different, then it sort of makes it more personal. Good luck with your search. I hope you get something you love. I really like the sapphire you posted, especially the purple color in it. To my (totally uneducated) eye it looks beautiful. I got a color change bi color sapphire for my engagement ring, and although I know others might not like it (it does nt have a pure color either), I LOVE it. It changes in different lights, and its unlike anything I ve ever seen before. I am going o bezel it too, in a James Meyer setting. Sorry for hi jacking your thread w my story, but I just wanted you to know that I had the same concerns (scared of a ''different'' stone for an e ring), but am completely happy with my choice.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mousey GET ON IT! Mine is going in a JM too! I am so excited now to see yours!!!! Woot! Are you doing the 1345 setting? Do you have a pic of yours? Dang there are gonna be a lot of us on here with this ring...yet we will most likely never come across anyone else irl with one!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I found your thread with your stone on it. It''s beautiful!

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Yay!!! Thats brilliant! Yes I am going to get the 1345 too.... I wont be getting it till sometime in late August early September. I am living in the UK at the mo, but me and the boyf are spending a couple of months in the US from August, so we are planning on taking a roadtrip to take our sapphire to James Meyer. I talked to him on the phone recently. He seems so nice. I am really looking forward to meeting him, and getting my e ring. We will be like engagement twins, with our ''unusual sapphire in a James Meyer setting''. I am really looking forward to seeing what sapphire you get now. I was considering a stone a bit like the one you posted, but it had some inclusions that I was not thrilled about. I love that color though.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks stepcutgirl.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure which of us will have one first. I was certain my engagement was not coming until late this year with a small possibility of early next year until we had a talk about two weeks ago which has me thinking it may be soon...

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Oh fun times for you!!!!! I also checked some of your posts- congrats on the job!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Fun times for me I hope! Sometimes when my boyfriend says one thing I take it to mean one thing and he another.
38.gif

And thanks for the congrats on the job but in the end, I didn''t get it. I was in the final stage of being hired and was set to go to orientation when the hospital announced a hiring freeze.
32.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you love the look, by all means go for it. But make sure it''s not just another impulse purchase - maybe by saving that photo on your computer and taking a look every now and then for at least a week, just to make sure you''ll still like it further down the road. Also try searching on Youtube (or on some vendor sites with videos) a video of a similar stone, so that you see how they "behave" (handle light) IRL.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I agree with you ma ra. I have been going to the web site every day, most days many times a day and looking at it. I have some time to think it over and make sure that I''m sure anyhow, so that''s good.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I personally love these stones, but I have seen them only on ebay, which makes me leery. If you get it, I would love to see more pictures of it! I think they are really fun and unique.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I personally love these stones, but I have seen them only on ebay, which makes me leery. If you get it, I would love to see more pictures of it! I think they are really fun and unique.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think I''ve posted this multi-colored sapphire from wildfishgems before. I just love the color mix.

pps352-b1.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The Gem Trader has this gorgeous 1.83 ct bi-colored sapphire available. Link

GemTraderJune-09-BCSapp.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Fly girl-the first one you posted is the one I am waiting on pins and needles for my boyfriend to ask me so I can snatch that one up! I literally look at it no less than 30 times a day. Everyday that passes and it doesn''t happen I run to make sure it''s still there!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results