shape
carat
color
clarity

much visual difference between 6mm to 6.3mm?

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
My ER is currently in for repair and I was contemplating a tiny upgrade while it's in. it doesn't seem as though .3mm would make much difference, being the difference between 1.06 to 1.14 ct in a cushion, but is it enough to notice? I have a 6mm cushion and was considering going to one grade better (K to a J), and a small amount larger? in the cut that I have there isn't anything larger than the 1.14 to make it more obvious. just wondering whether anyone has a reference that would show the size difference?

I kinda think it needs to be more like .20 difference to really matter???

Many thanks
Loveloveloveit

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
~0.3mm difference is barely enough for me to notice in loose rounds. I'm not sure whether the same applies to cushions, but I think the difference may be noticeable if it's in a simple 4-prong solitaire setting. In a bezel, halo, or setting with side stones I doubt the difference will be noticeable.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ditto.

I'd see that difference in a simple setting, or if two rings are side by side, but I definitely wouldn't remember the difference if it's set in something more complex/prevents clear view of stone outline

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
thanks yssie and thbmok, it is going to be set in the BGD eternal grace. the reason i was wondering is that i have been helping a friend to find a 5.5mm princess, and the difference between 5.2mm to 5.5mm seems pretty clear.

any thoughts between the K to a J? in the stone photos I can't really see the difference as they are both fairly warm.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't reset yet if you are thinking of upgrading. I would really wait until you can upgrade just a little more and then do the setting. I definitely think it is worth going to J color, but waiting to go to maybe 6.5mm would be a little more worth it.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
not to threadjack:) but do you think there would be much visual difference between 5.7mm OEC and 5.9mm OEC?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A 5% diameter difference is generally a visible difference. 0.3mm, 5% of 6mm is different and you can see it. It isn't major, but you will be able to tell. 0.3mm on a 15mm stone is less visible, as it represents a far smaller percentage change in diameter to 15.3mm. Still, it would not be common for a pair of stones that are supposed to match one another at 15mm be off by 0.3mm when a good jeweler is making a "pair" of stones.

You definitely can wear a pair of earrings that differ by 0.3mm, but not everyone's personality allows they to relax about the tiny difference. Some people need better matching and some don't.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think that's enough of an upgrade to justify spending $$ TO ME. I would wait, save up some more $$ and go much more noticeably bigger. Side by side I'm sure you would see a small difference. On it's own? I can't imagine remembering enough of the old stone vs. the new stone in terms of "finger coverage" to see the difference.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you *will* notice a slight difference in size and color. How much will the change cost? I think it is worth it if it is not too pricey.

I would not reset if you think n upgrade is going to happen anytime soon.

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, thanks Dreamer, nfowife, yssie, oldminer and diamond seeker - I really appreciate all your expert comments and opinions. I haven't had a chance to get online for the past week due to family illnesses and putting my back way way out, and am afraid the opportunity has now passed me by - but I completely wish I had seen your comments as I know you're right - putting my money in the stone with a simple setting is the lesson I've learnt but not managed to follow! I'll keep you all posted when I get it. On the up side, perhaps I can change out the head in the future if I find the right diamond after saving many pennies :))) Truly, it's only due to this site that I may never be satisfied ... not that I'm complaining!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which setting is it? Some have heads that can easily be replaced. I should know :rodent:

And if the setting brings you pleasure, sometimes it is good to spend to have a nice one instead of having your ring feel "unfinished" while you wait for an upgrade that may or may not ever happen!

Did you go for the upgrade?

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dreamer - it's the Eternal Grace setting. I haven't gone for the upgrade mostly due to timing as we'd all been sick and by the time I did the setting was already underway. I have spent a small fortune on settings because I do seem to like custom, but I really should have saved it all up to do one almighty upgrade! I did start off with this stone in a cast setting but I ruined it quickly and moved on to custom, but that had issues so is now being replaced including a minor upgrade to the diamond head! Very hopeful this one will do the trick for a while (even my DH realises it wont be forever which is likely a good thing)

In your experience Dreamer, is this head changeable? ... just for future reference ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results