shape
carat
color
clarity

Mt.Saint Helen''s Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I heard that there was some sort of stone made from the ashes of Mt.Saint Helen. Is this true? Or am I going nuts?
41.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Google "Helenite"... you should end up with allot of hits pointing to green and red faceted stones of really nice color and really low price. It's probably glass made one way or another; sometimes described as "obsidian" - which is glass by structure anyway.

Here's one link

RedSchillerHelenite.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idaho Opal and Gem was selling Mt. St. Helen''s jewelry in the early 1990s, but the stones were blue-green in color.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Although this stuff is pretty, it is nothing more than colored glass that MAY have a sprinkling of ash from Mt. St. Helens mixed into it...just to give it the name, make a good story and sell, sell, sell. This stuff is mostly sold at gem and mineral shows and is very cheap and not at all durable. There was even a woman who had a shop about 25 miles from me , in a quaint little tourist town, that was selling this stuff as "Mt. St. Helens Emeraldite" or some such bull. She''d stick it a $300 mounting, charge $800 for it and make a killing. If you want a really pretty green synthetic I would suggest either synthetic emerald or in a paler color synthetic sapphire. If you you must have "Helenite" I would suggest setting it in a pendant, as this material is softer and more brittle than opal.

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I had a little pendant made of Mt. St Helen''s Emeraldite that I bought back in the early 80''s.

It was just glass and wasn''t that expensive at the time (there was a lot of it around then - the mountain had just blown up about a year earlier. Maybe it''s getting harder to find ash from the eruption 25 years later). We were still washing the stuff off our cars back then.

Too bad I lost it if they are getting that much for them nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results