shape
carat
color
clarity

MRB in a target ring?

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
I have a loose mrb (about 1 carat) that I've been toying with the idea of setting in a target ring, but just realized that most of the examples I've seen probably have antique cuts. Do you think an mrb could work in this type of setting, or should I go in a different direction? Does anyone have a vintage type setting with a modern cut that they want to share? I'm not 100% set on this, so any suggestions are welcome.

I'm attaching a picture of the setting I'm thinking about. It's from Ivy and Rose, and the price is great, although I don't know that they have a semi mount that will work for my diamond. Also thinking about David Klass since I heard his prices are reasonable for the quality of work he does.

20200520_213048.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know there’s a PSer who has an MRB in a target halo, also sapphire I think too and it works even tho technically the target halo is a vintage setting. So I think you’d be good!

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a beautiful setting and in my opinion also works for a modern cut stone.

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies @foxinsox and @Roselina. I'm glad to hear you think it'll work. I haven't been sure how I want to set the stone, and since I thought it would cost much more to find a setting I've been holding off. This seems to be a decent option.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t do it but it’s not my ring.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a little biased. My avatar ring is a modern RB, and it IMHO looks great in the antique reproduction setting that David Klass made for me.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If you like it, it works. Is it technically period appropriate? No, but it's your ring and if you like it, that's what matters. I am certain I pick stuff others don't want, but if you like the combo, that's what matters.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
If you like it, it works. Is it technically period appropriate? No, but it's your ring and if you like it, that's what matters. I am certain I pick stuff others don't want, but if you like the combo, that's what matters.

I agree, but since it’s not an authentic antique setting, I kind of like the idea to create something new and unique.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People set modern round brilliants in antique style settings all the time! Look at the success of Tacori, for example. I'll bet more than 95% of stones set in their settings are modern rounds, maybe 99%! I see no problem with it at all. In fact, I have a family mrb set in an antique style halo setting by CVB.

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies. You've all made good points. It's just such a pretty design at such a great price.

@LisaRN your ring is so beautiful! I don't mind how an mrb looks in that at all.

I think I may go for it. Well, at least if I don't do it, it won't be because it's not period appropriate.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your replies. You've all made good points. It's just such a pretty design at such a great price.

@LisaRN your ring is so beautiful! I don't mind how an mrb looks in that at all.

I think I may go for it. Well, at least if I don't do it, it won't be because it's not period appropriate.

You know on eBay it’s pretty easy to find all sorts of inexpensive mounts that hold 1 ct stones.
If you love this one go for it but being 1 ct- your can find a lot of cheap options.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
I think that round semi-mount you've pictured from Ivy and Rose might be slightly too big for a 1ct if yours is the usual 6.5mm diameter as they note the size range to be 6.8-7.3mm.
They have this one https://ivyandrose.com/products/vin...-semi-mount-engagement-ring-round-setting-14k which would fit a 1ct and I'm pretty sure they do in sapphire although I couldn't find it on their settings page.

Thanks! That's a very pretty design. I looked at those ones yesterday too.

Yesterday my husband emailed them (before I started wondering about the antique cut versus mrb) about sizing issues with the diamond, the possibility of going custom, and how much more it would cost to do platinum. They emailed back saying if I wanted to do custom it would have to be with round sapphires, but that I could send the diamond to them so that they could make it fit into the non custom semi mount using a metal seat. Not sure how that will look, so we emailed them again with a few more questions. Waiting on a response now. If I go with them I would not do custom/platinum since I don't want round sapphires and a longer waiting period.

I'm still considering the David Klass route, but haven't contacted him yet. His shop is within driving distance, so maybe I'd feel more comfortable working with a place where we could physically drop the stone off. Also, with the closures going on I'm not sure I want to send a stone all the way to Chicago. Still up in the air for now.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! That's a very pretty design. I looked at those ones yesterday too.

Yesterday my husband emailed them (before I started wondering about the antique cut versus mrb) about sizing issues with the diamond, the possibility of going custom, and how much more it would cost to do platinum. They emailed back saying if I wanted to do custom it would have to be with round sapphires, but that I could send the diamond to them so that they could make it fit into the non custom semi mount using a metal seat. Not sure how that will look, so we emailed them again with a few more questions. Waiting on a response now. If I go with them I would not do custom/platinum since I don't want round sapphires and a longer waiting period.

I'm still considering the David Klass route, but haven't contacted him yet. His shop is within driving distance, so maybe I'd feel more comfortable working with a place where we could physically drop the stone off. Also, with the closures going on I'm not sure I want to send a stone all the way to Chicago. Still up in the air for now.

David Klass does do lovely work and is very reasonably priced tho I don't know if he'd be cheaper than Ivy&Rose since they're making them in batches. Might be easier if he's local to you and you could make it thoroughly custom for you.

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
David Klass does do lovely work and is very reasonably priced tho I don't know if he'd be cheaper than Ivy&Rose since they're making them in batches. Might be easier if he's local to you and you could make it thoroughly custom for you.

Yes, I'd expect that he would be more expensive. How much more, I'm not sure. The examples on prisecope are beautiful though. Thanks for your help.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The setting is very pretty. As other have said, people set modern stones in vintage styles all the time, I did that myself. LOL It's been said on PS many times, that while Ivy & Rose settings are pretty & a great value, they are lightweight. If you want something beefier, you should consider David Klass. Or, ask Ivy & Rose the cost for a thicker shank. I find their prices reasonable for straight purchases but if you need to modify or customize, they charge quite a bit. All you can do is ask. ;-)

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
The setting is very pretty. As other have said, people set modern stones in vintage styles all the time, I did that myself. LOL It's been said on PS many times, that while Ivy & Rose settings are pretty & a great value, they are lightweight. If you want something beefier, you should consider David Klass. Or, ask Ivy & Rose the cost for a thicker shank. I find their prices reasonable for straight purchases but if you need to modify or customize, they charge quite a bit. All you can do is ask. ;-)

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind for my final decision. I didn't want to spend too much on this because even though the diamond is sentimental, it's not the best cut. It's still pretty, and I want it to be in a nice setting so I can enjoy it though. I'll be using this as a daily right hand ring.

Hmm, maybe I'll need to spend more than I was hoping to spend for a heftier setting? Even though I don't make a habit of wearing my rings around the house, I don't want it to get damaged from daily wear. Maybe I should hold off until I have more funds for a sturdier ring. Decisions...

Thank you everyone for your input.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I have one and I love it. It is not my ER—it’s a RHR (on my left hand for photos because I cannot take photos left handed). It is much smaller than you are talking about, but I don’t know exact size because it was a pre-PS purchase.

I absolutely adore target rings, though. It has never bothered me for one second that it is a MRB. It absolutely fits. Increasingly, I am of the “wear what you love” camp. If you love MRBs and target rings, go for it. It will be absolutely stunning.

I would advise against onyx for the surround. Mine has a small chip and I don’t think of myself as being particularly hard on rings. If I were creating one from scratch I would go with sapphires.

79C86BE0-D9A1-4184-84E5-3CA029493D44.jpeg 47CD32A7-3B54-46A8-8333-3975BDC80E58.jpeg

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
You might also enjoy this thread if you haven’t seen it:

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
I have one and I love it. It is not my ER—it’s a RHR (on my left hand for photos because I cannot take photos left handed). It is much smaller than you are talking about, but I don’t know exact size because it was a pre-PS purchase.

I absolutely adore target rings, though. It has never bothered me for one second that it is a MRB. It absolutely fits. Increasingly, I am of the “wear what you love” camp. If you love MRBs and target rings, go for it. It will be absolutely stunning.

I would advise against onyx for the surround. Mine has a small chip and I don’t think of myself as being particularly hard on rings. If I were creating one from scratch I would go with sapphires.

79C86BE0-D9A1-4184-84E5-3CA029493D44.jpeg 47CD32A7-3B54-46A8-8333-3975BDC80E58.jpeg

So pretty! I love the amount of finger coverage you have with your surrounding stones too. I'm glad to hear that many enjoy a modern cut in a vintage type ring, though I understand those who feel that matching stone cut to setting style is important. I do feel more confident about setting my mrb in this style. There are just so many beautiful types of vintage looking settings, and I hate to limit my options due to the cut of my stone.

I'm sorry about your chipped onyx. That's a bummer because I read on here it's hard to replace the stones when they get damaged in these types of rings. I hope the chip isn't bad enough to need replacing. If I go with the Ivy and Rose setting I will do sapphire. Their emerald settings were very nice, but I've read that they're too soft for daily wear.

I've visited that thread you linked multiple times in the past couple of days and oohed and ahhed at the pictures of all the pretty rings haha . Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results