shape
carat
color
clarity

Mr. Hand''s rock search thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrhand

Rough_Rock
Ok, I''m starting a new thread since and will try to keep all of my questions here. After some discussion about a previous rock in a different thread, I decided to downgrade color and go for a better cut.

I''m changing from a F to an H, but going from Very-Good to "Ideal/Excellent" or whatever that term above Very-Good means. Seems to differ amongst sites.

I''m not sure what the general opinion here is about Blue Nile stones, but it sure is an easy way to start looking. I was thinking of the following stone. I''m going to worry about setting later, though pave seems to be the current preference.

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?&pid=LD01375782&forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP

Thanks for your help people. I''ve been pulling my hair out over this.

aRnonymous

Rough_Rock
Trade
It receives a score of 2.7 using the HCA, may be a good choice. For the price it looks like it might be worth it

stitch

Shiny_Rock
Here is the HCA result.

Light Return Very Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 2.7 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

You may need the Ideal Scope image on this one. However, I don''t think you can get it from BN

mrhand

Rough_Rock
Just under 21k. I got them to put a "hold" on the stone. Hopefully she will like one of the settings at BN. It would make things a lot easier for me, but she is the one going to wear it so I don''t want her to get a setting that she isn''t thrilled with.

By the way, when I called in to BN I gave them the GIA # of the other stone I was looking at and he pretty much said the same things that yssie and jacks2k said, which gives me mixed feelings. Great feelings about you regulars here at pricescope, and sad about the family connection.

My mother got a tennis bracelet from this fellow when they were in high school, but my dad got my mom. Maybe he wanted some return on his investment ;-)

So my GF soon-to-be-fiancee lives in NYC. If she approves the rock and not the setting I was thinking of driving up there next week and we can explore the stores for settings. Sound reasonable to you folks? If so I will start searching the threads for settings. Probably a good idea to get the wedding bands done at the same time.

outatouch0

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 1:29:52 AM
Author: mrhand
Just under 21k. I got them to put a ''hold'' on the stone. Hopefully she will like one of the settings at BN. It would make things a lot easier for me, but she is the one going to wear it so I don''t want her to get a setting that she isn''t thrilled with.
----------------
So my GF soon-to-be-fiancee lives in NYC. If she approves the rock and not the setting I was thinking of driving up there next week and we can explore the stores for settings. Sound reasonable to you folks? If so I will start searching the threads for settings. Probably a good idea to get the wedding bands done at the same time.

Not sure if you are REALLY asking for opinions or announcing what you are going to do (just to come back afterwords and ask "how did I do?").

There are MANY MANY threads on the subject of getting the stone and ring from separate vendors (and NYC diamond district). With all friendliness, genuine concern, and sincerity I urge you to read them. There is a lot of hard won information on this sight to avail yourself of.
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif

In general, and especially considering your budget
22.gif
you should be able to get just about any stone you want from the vendor that has the right setting for you. If they don''t have what you are looking for on hand they will go get it. It can be easy to "fall in love with our work" when it comes to searching for diamonds. Holding stubbornly to the vendor where we made our first efforts. Be careful not to fall into this thus limiting your options considerably.
39.gif

mrhand

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 1:59:03 AM
Author: outatouch0

Not sure if you are REALLY asking for opinions or announcing what you are going to do (just to come back afterwords and ask ''how did I do?'').

There are MANY MANY threads on the subject of getting the stone and ring from separate vendors (and NYC diamond district). With all friendliness, genuine concern, and sincerity I urge you to read them. There is a lot of hard won information on this sight to avail yourself of.
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif

In general, and especially considering your budget
22.gif
you should be able to get just about any stone you want from the vendor that has the right setting for you. If they don''t have what you are looking for on hand they will go get it. It can be easy to ''fall in love with our work'' when it comes to searching for diamonds. Holding stubbornly to the vendor where we made our first efforts. Be careful not to fall into this thus limiting your options considerably.
39.gif
I most certainly will do the search on the seperate stone/setting threads. Tommorow though. I feel pretty "stoned" right now as it is. And I will most def let everyone know what we end up with and post some pics. Now that I feel like I''m not getting taken on the main stone, it eases my mind about future buyers remorse.

I''m very grateful for the advice here. I''m certain in the future when I see someone in Kays or Zales I will have a nagging urger to go whisper "goto pricescope.com" in their ears!

outatouch0

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 2:17:25 AM
Date: 11/11/2009 1:59:03 AM

Author: outatouch0
I most certainly will do the search on the seperate stone/setting threads. Tommorow though. I feel pretty 'stoned' right now as it is. And I will most def let everyone know what we end up with and post some pics. Now that I feel like I'm not getting taken on the main stone, it eases my mind about future buyers remorse.

I'm very grateful for the advice here. I'm certain in the future when I see someone in Kays or Zales I will have a nagging urger to go whisper 'goto pricescope.com' in their ears!
yea, definitely TAKE YOUR TIME, learn a little bit at a time and build on it. You will not regret it
21.gif

Yes PS opens up a whole new world !!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on GIA rounding, IS is definitely required for this stone but BN will not be able to provide it, so give it a miss.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2009 10:29:02 PM
Author:mrhand
Ok, I''m starting a new thread since and will try to keep all of my questions here. After some discussion about a previous rock in a different thread, I decided to downgrade color and go for a better cut.

I''m changing from a F to an H, but going from Very-Good to ''Ideal/Excellent'' or whatever that term above Very-Good means. Seems to differ amongst sites.

I''m not sure what the general opinion here is about Blue Nile stones, but it sure is an easy way to start looking. I was thinking of the following stone. I''m going to worry about setting later, though pave seems to be the current preference.

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?&pid=LD01375782&forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP

Thanks for your help people. I''ve been pulling my hair out over this.
Its a borderline steep deep, an IS image which is needed won''t be available from BN and necessary to check this diamond for possible leakage.

mrhand

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 5:14:49 AM
Author: Lorelei

Its a borderline steep deep, an IS image which is needed won''t be available from BN and necessary to check this diamond for possible leakage.
Since I''m not prepared to learn how to use an IS, I called WhiteFlash, gave the CSR some cost paramaeters, carat size setting etc. She is doing a search for me now and I''ll post the specs and IS when they arrive.

Now I''m beginning to see why WF is doing so well in the testimonial forum.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2009 10:04:03 AM

Date: 11/11/2009 5:14:49 AM
Author: Lorelei

Since I''m not prepared to learn how to use an IS, I called WhiteFlash, gave the CSR some cost paramaeters, carat size setting etc. She is doing a search for me now and I''ll post the specs and IS when they arrive.

Now I''m beginning to see why WF is doing so well in the testimonial forum.
That sounds fine, let us know what they come up with.

mrhand

Rough_Rock

Ok kind people, here is another possibility.

Report: AGS
. Shape: Whiteflash ACA
. Carat: 2.224 === H VS1
. Depth %: 60.8
. Table %: 57.4
. Crown Angle: 34.8
. Crown %: 14.9
. Star : 54
. Pavilion Angle: 40.7
. Pavilion %: 43
. Lower Girdle %: 77
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 8.43-8.47X5.14
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

Ideal Scope
mrhand_is.jpg

ASET
mrhand_aset.jpg

Hearts
mrhand_hearts.jpg

Sarin
mrhand_sarin.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a winner!
emthup.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah, its gorgeous.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A much better choice!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto, bingo!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good to me too.

mrhand

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. I was doing a little comparison shopping and found another ACA that looks interesting. Since this is a great cut, does downgrading color and the clarity going to make a noticable difference? Plus this stone weighs about 7% more..... Not to mention the price difference

J vs. H
VS2 vs. VS1
2.394 ct vs. 2.224

Linky

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2176307.htm#

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe you will notice the color difference maybe not. Size wise, it is a .2mm increase in diameter, probably noticeable side by side difference. IS, ASET and hearts image looks good to me.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Both are beautifully cut stones and VS1 vs. VS2 clarity is not an issue, both should be eye-clean.

I would, however, be careful about getting a J color for an engagment ring. There are great stones in this color range out there and a lot of people love them. It is just that this is the color range where most people can start to detect a tint in the diamond--especially one this size. Many people love the warmer colors &/or are just not that color sensitive, so this diamond would be great for them. Others want their diamond to be very white and are turned off by the noticable warmth found in many J''s. Unless you are certain your gf likes warmer colors, the H is a much safer choice.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2009 5:30:13 PM
Thanks all. I was doing a little comparison shopping and found another ACA that looks interesting. Since this is a great cut, does downgrading color and the clarity going to make a noticable difference? Plus this stone weighs about 7% more..... Not to mention the price difference

J vs. H
VS2 vs. VS1
2.394 ct vs. 2.224

Linky

Best thing to do is to ask WF how the H and J colours in this instance compare, see if Bob can discuss both with you.

mrhand

Rough_Rock
Found another... This is very similar in specs to the 2.224 but its an SI1 vs VS1. I suppose I should just ask them if its "eye clean"?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF has certain standards of eyeclean - I believe they have this stated on their website. Its up to you to decide if you like those standards, though, or if your tolerance is lower or higher.

Some people describe eyeclean as the inability to see anything from 3-6 inches away, from any angle. My definition of eyeclean is not seeing anything from 10in away faceup, but I don''t care about the pavilion-view.

WF can then verify eyeclean to your standards.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrhand

Rough_Rock
Ok, I think I''m getting the hang of this. Just for conformiation from you folks, is this stone no-so-hot?

EGL INTERNATIONAL
Color: I
Clarity: SI2
Carat weight: 2.36
8.51-8.45x5.33
Depth: 62.8%
Table: 57%
Crown height: 16%
Pavilion Depth: 44%
Girdle: Med, Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
"Tolkowsky Ideal Cut"

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2009 12:01:36 PM
Ok, I think I''m getting the hang of this. Just for conformiation from you folks, is this stone no-so-hot?

EGL INTERNATIONAL
Color: I
Clarity: SI2
Carat weight: 2.36
8.51-8.45x5.33
Depth: 62.8%
Table: 57%
Crown height: 16%
Pavilion Depth: 44%
Girdle: Med, Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
''Tolkowsky Ideal Cut''
Yes, not so hot at all unfortunately, I would keep looking.

mrhand

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I wasn''t really considering it but I just wanted to see if my evaluation was correct. I''m getting shmart!

I''m getting REALLY close to getting this done. Here are the 2 stones I''m considering.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2163499.htm#

I noticed at WF, that sometimes the pricescope discount price shows, and sometimes it doesn''t. I can''t figure that out, but I''m sure they will honor it.

We are still looking at the setting, and the soon to be Mrs. MrHahnd is going out today to look at settings similar to the Harmony.

https://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Harmony-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1136.htm

She looked through the following thread and seems to like the setting with the exception of the cup being possibly too high, but this was apparently a custom setting which the Harmony may or may not have been based upon. Here is a picture of what we are talking about for the cup height.

MrHandButterflyCup.jpg

We asked WF to send us some pics using that sort of picture angle so we can get a better feel for the setting.

My fiancee is also going to try and see today about looking at some HOF/ACA or whatever "super ideal cut" they call it for 2 stones in the 2+ carat range VS1-VS2 in H and J and see if she can tell a difference in the color/warmth etc. Neither of us have been married before, but we are a little older than the typical engaged couple so aging eyes might actually be a plus for economical reasons.

Thoughts, comments, criticism?

BTW, Traci and Juli at WF have been very pleasant, patient and helpful in our search. I know a lot of people talk to Bob, so I just wanted to get their names out on Pricescope as being helpful as well.

MrHandButterflyCup.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2009 1:26:19 PM

Thanks, I wasn''t really considering it but I just wanted to see if my evaluation was correct. I''m getting shmart!

I''m getting REALLY close to getting this done. Here are the 2 stones I''m considering.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2163499.htm#

I noticed at WF, that sometimes the pricescope discount price shows, and sometimes it doesn''t. I can''t figure that out, but I''m sure they will honor it.

We are still looking at the setting, and the soon to be Mrs. MrHahnd is going out today to look at settings similar to the Harmony.

https://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Harmony-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1136.htm

She looked through the following thread and seems to like the setting with the exception of the cup being possibly too high, but this was apparently a custom setting which the Harmony may or may not have been based upon. Here is a picture of what we are talking about for the cup height.

MrHandButterflyCup.jpg

We asked WF to send us some pics using that sort of picture angle so we can get a better feel for the setting.

My fiancee is also going to try and see today about looking at some HOF/ACA or whatever ''super ideal cut'' they call it for 2 stones in the 2+ carat range VS1-VS2 in H and J and see if she can tell a difference in the color/warmth etc. Neither of us have been married before, but we are a little older than the typical engaged couple so aging eyes might actually be a plus for economical reasons.

Thoughts, comments, criticism?

BTW, Traci and Juli at WF have been very pleasant, patient and helpful in our search. I know a lot of people talk to Bob, so I just wanted to get their names out on Pricescope as being helpful as well.

Both diamonds look great, just depends on your preference for colour, the discount should be applicable if you pay with a bank wire.

Great idea to view H and J in person in the 2 ct range, see if you can view some top cut stones such as AGS0 from Jareds or Hearts on Fire so you get a decent idea of how well cut stones look in these colour grades.

mrhand

Rough_Rock
Ok folks, I pulled the trigger.

Just for perspective here is the 1st stone I was considering from an NYC DD merchant quoted at 19.5K, and another 2K for the setting (didnt discusss wedding band)

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 8.24 - 8.30 x 5.18 mm

Carat Weight: 2.21 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: SI2
Cut Grade: Very Good

Proportions:
Depth: 62.6%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 36.0°
Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted (4.0%)
Finish:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Faint
Comments: Additional twinning wisps are not shown. Surface graining is not shown

Here is what I bought from WhiteFlash!!!

The stone http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2176307.htm

The platinum setting AND wedding band https://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Harmony-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1136.htm

About 1K less for a MUCH nicer stone, and I''m sure the settings are a better product/value as well. Many thanks to Tracy and Juli at WhiteFlash for their assistance.

And thank you ALL for your yays and nays on the various rocks I asked about. I was flying blind when I started this, and you all guided me in for a safe landing.

I''ll be sure to recommend to people checkout both pricescope and whiteflash. Brick and Mortar stores are fine for looking in person, and who knows they might even be compteitve. But thanks to the pricescope community you can really comparison shop. A big A+ to WhiteFlash for providing the various scope images online. I almost went with BN, but by providing that extra information albiet important data helped me (well, really allowed YOU to help me) make an informed decision.

The funny thing is after I finalized the order I talked to my fiancee to let her know the details she said "Isn''t that stone too big for my hand? I''m going to have to turn it around when we negotiate for something now."
20.gif

I''ll get some pics for everyone once it arrives. I bet she''s already planning to get her nails done.

Thanks again,

Mr.Hand (for those of you who were wondering, yes my screenname is from Fasttimes at Ridgmeont High)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
AHHAHA,

Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results