shape
carat
color
clarity

Moval setting ideas?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Good morning PSers!

I am trying to get some inspiration on setting a moval and hoping some of you wouldn't mind sharing some pretty settings you may have saved :) The stone will not be able to be haloed, but am interested in other styles-solitaires, three-stones or other ring ideas. TIA
***I forgot to mention the stone is about 16x9mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything east-west is my favorite. Look up Catherine Zeta-Jones’ setting. Gorgeous!

Yes! with a super slender MQ, I'd definitely set it E/W. I know you said no halo... is this personal preference, or have you been told it physically can't be halo'ed?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should play up the shape with a bezel... and a halo. ;-)

This, only with your moval set E/W, so not really anything at 6 & 9.
Image result for marquise david klass

Another...
Image result for marquise david klass

This could look AMAZING!
Image result for marquise setting pricescope

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! Thats big, I LOVE movals, post a pic when you can!
Do you like modern or vintage designs?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Vintage halo definitely EW but I am really partial to the look as I must admit it is among my all time faves and own such a ring with a Marquise. I chose that as my ultimate Marquise setting. I do love large Marquise in soli NS too but the stone has to he very large and wider IMHO to look the best. Perhaps if you want simple and modern a brushed finish bezel. But otherwise all the options @msop04 suggested I personally love and are those I would pick from.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Good morning PSers!

I am trying to get some inspiration on setting a moval and hoping some of you wouldn't mind sharing some pretty settings you may have saved :) The stone will not be able to be haloed, but am interested in other styles-solitaires, three-stones or other ring ideas. TIA
***I forgot to mention the stone is about 16x9mm.

We need to see the rock!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Hi All-thanks for the suggestion!

The no halo is personal preference due to the stone size, although I love halos :)

I also love E-W, but am worried about the length, but have not taken it off the option list.

Half-moons would be fabulous .

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to add that I unfortunately like both modern and vintage designs and wear both on different days.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Here she is... F2411556-5568-4596-9F49-88986E8C6D39.jpeg

Gorgeous!! I am biased though because I also have a moval!! I think three stone with moon sides would look gorgeous too. Mine has a halo and is set e-w and I never thought I was a “halo” person, but I just love my e-ring.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone!

7ACC6539-4A7E-4AEF-8D14-52018B2CCAEB.jpeg
I see this partial halo ‘a la New York Ivy’ style, or more of a vintage style melee setting with sleek tab prongs on your moval. (Old mine triangulars are from GemConcepts, guessed at scale)
For more modern, I see a slender bezel.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is GORGEOUS!

I still think half-moons would look good, and it's a classic enough look that it could look modern or vintage when paired with different bands. imo if you like both modern and vintage, go classic, because it'll go with everything.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Does it need sidestones? An eight prong setting @KKJohnson mentioned lately seems perfect.

I wonder what a YG backing would do to the color. Then, even sides can be golden yellow www.

Last edited:

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all the kind words and suggestions!!!

@Morenita21 I love your moval-gorgeous setting!

@Rfisher that is a lovely mock up, the rounded corner trills are super pretty :)

@distracts I am really liking the idea of some super white half moons❤️ I am wondering what ct wt would be to scale- off to do some looking!

@AV_ I think it could hold its own without sides and was originally leaning that way and an 8 prong setting is a lovely idea. I was told that rose gold might be the better option vs yellow with its undertones, so have been giving it some thought.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOW. HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone!

7ACC6539-4A7E-4AEF-8D14-52018B2CCAEB.jpeg
I see this partial halo ‘a la New York Ivy’ style, or more of a vintage style melee setting with sleek tab prongs on your moval. (Old mine triangulars are from GemConcepts, guessed at scale)
For more modern, I see a slender bezel.

Your moval is almost the same size as my marquis (length wise) so the stone is definitely stand along with a simple 8 prong rose gold solitaire.

I do love this mockup! pair it with 4 prongs on each end along with those pear stepcuts swoon.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Niel Your three stone ring is fabulous! Such a gorgeous sapphire!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@KKJohnson I love the way you transformed your marquise! Such a stunner in her new home!!! The step-cut pears might be kind of long, so am thinking on them. They are 1.17ctw and are currently set with a cushion of similar width to the moval, it would end up being a large ring overall, so I need to ponder how bulky I want to make it :)

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i Would not do a solitaire as I believe the stone needs white diamonds next to it to bring out the excellence of the color
If this were mine I’d do old cut pears , tho those would be difficult to find. I have some tho so again, if it were mine
:evil2: Haha
Same for movals. Would be stunning but hard to find a pair.

half moons would be stunning as well.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thud.......Your diamond is gorgeous! I will be looking forward to seeing pics once you set it.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Niel Moval sides would be really nice and am sure a pair could be cut down from marquises :) I don’t think I would bother with finding an old mine pair of pears since I have my pear pair and love the way they look in person. And I really like the idea of a long slender pair of half moons!!!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
So, if you cannot fit this EW or prefer not to, and seeing this amazing stone I might just agree that a NS setting would be awesome, I would definitely do a three stone. But I do not personally like the idea of modern half moons, I think they would clash. I love the idea of old cut pears the most but even if another shape I would use old cut stones as accent. This will be a stunning ring! Very jealous of you.:)))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, if you cannot fit this EW or prefer not to, and seeing this amazing stone I might just agree that a NS setting would be awesome, I would definitely do a three stone. But I do not personally like the idea of modern half moons, I think they would clash. I love the idea of old cut pears the most but even if another shape I would use old cut stones as accent. This will be a stunning ring! Very jealous of you.:)))

Yes I am a stickler for matching cuts as well I don’t think I would like modern pears with this. However I wonder how different thing half moons would look if they were the step cut version vs brilliant.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I agree with no modern brilliant cut sides, but have seen some lovely mixed cuts I would be happy to set with it :) I like the idea of checking into having a modern brilliant pair of marquises being cut down to antique looking movals for sides.

I also like the idea of a hidden halo, but do not want too high of a setting.

Last edited:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@Niel yes you are right, step cut half moons would definitely be better in my opinion. It is just that when I saw the shape of this stone I immediately saw pear sides and loved your idea. I think chunky old pears would really be delish with this moval in a three stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results