• Attractive

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Creepy

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Both (definitely explain this!)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Depends

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • My Point of View isn't listed (then tell us)

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1303073114|2898645 said:
Not a fan of facial hair at all. I like my men hairless. Except for the hair on the top of his head!

I voted "creepy" for moustache alone, but (while it's not my preference at all), moustache plus goatee can look decent.

Ditto this! I have a total aversion for facial hair on a partner (one of the things I like about my husband is that he always shaves), but sometimes it can look good on other men - as long as I'm not expected to kiss them!

I'm very intrigued as to why nearly all the male gemmologists I meet seem to have beards... :confused:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
It really depends on the man. I think FI looks silly any way other than clean shave, but I've never seen my dad without a full beard and mustache. My brother goes the scruffy route, and has just a bit on his chin, and it really works for him. It really depends on the man, for sure, but I prefer clean-shaven.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
unhygienic.
Even more so on women.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Considering that I seem to describe any moustache as a 'pedostache' when relating stories to people ... creepy. SO CREEPY. Goatee fine. Beard, fine. Upper lip only? Break out the mace.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Galateia|1303088594|2898814 said:
Considering that I seem to describe any moustache as a 'pedostache' when relating stories to people ... creepy. SO CREEPY. Goatee fine. Beard, fine. Upper lip only? Break out the mace.

Shudder...they creep me out because they remind me of The World According to Garp. The park scene.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is perfect timing!

I just convinced FI to shave his moustache off Friday! I told him I thought it made him look older and sort of evil.

We're still debating wether we like how he looks with/without it so.... we'll see.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Creepy! Maybe on like 1% of the male population, it is not creepy. I think that 99% is a big enough majority that it is just pretty much always creepy.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I won't even say that not every guy looks good with one, but there are many different styles to try.

I understand the aversion, but I think we're in a very narrow mindset stylewise. I'd like to see more options available in a popular way. We have a friend who is constantly changing it up - fu man, chops, soul patch, goatee... it's fun to see him rotate through them all and he does it at least once a week.

The only thing that I can say negatively about facial hair is that there is ONE type of mustache that I don't like when it fits a certain personality - shall we call it the "salesman mustache". I don't like that whole package but that mustache on a different personality still can work.

My husband has a mustache/goatee and I had him shave it off once and he looks way better with it. He didn't have it in the military but has for many years now (over 10) and I will never ask him to shave it off again unless I can get him to do a fu man chu lol

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehrabehra|1303112749|2898953 said:
I won't even say that not every guy looks good with one, but there are many different styles to try.

I understand the aversion, but I think we're in a very narrow mindset stylewise. I'd like to see more options available in a popular way. We have a friend who is constantly changing it up - fu man, chops, soul patch, goatee... it's fun to see him rotate through them all and he does it at least once a week.

The only thing that I can say negatively about facial hair is that there is ONE type of mustache that I don't like when it fits a certain personality - shall we call it the "salesman mustache". I don't like that whole package but that mustache on a different personality still can work.

My husband has a mustache/goatee and I had him shave it off once and he looks way better with it. He didn't have it in the military but has for many years now (over 10) and I will never ask him to shave it off again unless I can get him to do a fu man chu lol

Do ya think? :rolleyes:

This thread has been very interesting, if a bit distasteful. I've grown up around men with some degree of facial hair, so it's not that big a deal. Some guys look good with it, some don't. I don't attribute any meaning to it any more than I would he's got a good hairstyle, he does not. No value judgement needed. I just know that I've never been attracted to the Brad Pitt pretty boys. I prefer the hyper-masculine look - heavier features, blockier jaws, and those faces can and do, carry off facial hair better than others. Besides, being married to a **** star has its charm. :naughty:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Ok, my DH looks just like Tom Selleck ( DH is at least 10 years younger) and he definitely looks better with facial hair. Right now he is sporting just a moustache, but it is thick and dark. Without any facial hair, I think he has a sort of baby face. This past winter he had a fully trimmed beard and the ladies were swooning. (yes, woman are always staring at my DH - young and old) DH definitely is sexier with facial hair and even just the moustache makes me swoon. (BTW DH has to get his eyebrows groomed or they are just wild looking)

Now I have seen other men who try to pull off the moustache or beard and simply fail. I have a neighbor who is an actor and he always grows a goatee when he has a part and it makes him look mysterious. Without the facial hair he looks just like any other guy.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I only like a mow on a man in November, come december 1st it must be gone!

My husband has done Movember the last two years and I have learned to love the creepy sleazy look. It's for a good cause and he raises a lot of money, otherwise I'm not a fan of the 70's **** star look on the man I married. :)

I will say that I like a full trimmed beard though. Husband grew one on our honeymoon and I really liked it. :naughty:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soocool|1303132849|2899027 said:
Ok, my DH looks just like Tom Selleck ( DH is at least 10 years younger) and he definitely looks better with facial hair. Right now he is sporting just a moustache, but it is thick and dark. Without any facial hair, I think he has a sort of baby face. This past winter he had a fully trimmed beard and the ladies were swooning. (yes, woman are always staring at my DH - young and old) DH definitely is sexier with facial hair and even just the moustache makes me swoon. (BTW DH has to get his eyebrows groomed or they are just wild looking)

Now I have seen other men who try to pull off the moustache or beard and simply fail. I have a neighbor who is an actor and he always grows a goatee when he has a part and it makes him look mysterious. Without the facial hair he looks just like any other guy.

Yeah, my guy doesn't look like Selleck, but he does have that coloration - dark hair and eyes, and fair skin (when it isn't burned from sailing). Love that coloration. :love: I am one of only a very very few people outside of his family, who has ever known him without a mustache. He grew it at 18 and has never been without it since. He's tried to grow a beard from time to time, but he always wimps out when it gets to a certain icky stage - drives him nuts. And honestly, I don't think he needs it. His jaw is quite chiseled, and I don't think he needs the beard for any definition or help in that area.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Well, my dad has had a mustache his entire adult life, and I literally have never seen even a picture of him w/o his mustache. He did grow a goatee with it once but shaved it off pretty quick when I told him he looked like a Klingon from Star Trek (he did). So I don't find them creepy per se, but I don't really like them either.

I do like goatees though. DH looks great with one, and occasionally he will grow one for a few months; usually, since his facial hair grows ridiculously fast, he goes for groomed scruff- since that's what happens by about 5PM anyway! Once when he was shaving off his goatee he came out with just a mustache- I made him shave it off pronto, it was totally highway patrol looking. The mustache, fortunately, never debuted in public.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yanno...I've tried, really I have, to not let this get to me, and be lighthearted about it, but for some reason - not working. My own feeble attempts at jokes - attempts to gently let others know that some of us don't exactly appreciate the comparison - aside, I'm getting tired of the **** star/pedophile thing. So I think MY next thread will be a poll/discussion about whether tats make WOMEN look creepy, sleazy, and easy. How 'bout it? Think it'll fly?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Not a fan of facial hair, on men or women. :D It's icky to kiss, for one thing. Staches & some beards hide a person's expressions, which I like to see. I'm tiiired of 3-day beards -- the look was kind of sexy at first, if scruffy, but it's so past. Begins to look affected to me.

Can anybody answer this, please -- how do you maintain this look? Do you shave & hide for a day or two while it grows out? Do you do your face w/scissors to keep it always the right length? I can't figure it out & am curious!!

--- Laurie

Image1.jpg

ksinger|1303220754|2899932 said:
Yanno...I've tried, really I have, to not let this get to me, and be lighthearted about it, but for some reason - not working. My own feeble attempts at jokes - attempts to gently let others know that some of us don't exactly appreciate the comparison - aside, I'm getting tired of the **** star/pedophile thing. So I think MY next thread will be a poll/discussion about whether tats make WOMEN look creepy, sleazy, and easy. How 'bout it? Think it'll fly?

I'm sorry if your feelings are hurt... :blackeye: when I compare my DH to looking lazy, I ONLY mean my DH. I prefer him without them, and I DO think there is a creepy way to wear them, but now that I'm getting older I don't mind facial hair as much. In my late teens/ early twenties there is NO way I would've dated a guy with facial hair... now I kind of think "Jeez, wonder if he's even old enough to grow a good looking beard?"

OK.... DH would KILL ME if he knew I did this, but THIS is the kind of stuff that I find creepy on him. It just doesn't fit. Every few months he shaves his beard off completely, and will do it in sections (so the next would be just a mustache, then nothing). I once made him wear it like this for a day and he got a lot of looks. p.s. it's just an iphone pic

photo.JPG

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bean|1303233706|2900170 said:
ksinger|1303220754|2899932 said:

I'm sorry if your feelings are hurt... :blackeye: when I compare my DH to looking lazy, I ONLY mean my DH. I prefer him without them, and I DO think there is a creepy way to wear them, but now that I'm getting older I don't mind facial hair as much. In my late teens/ early twenties there is NO way I would've dated a guy with facial hair... now I kind of think "Jeez, wonder if he's even old enough to grow a good looking beard?"

My feelings certainly aren't hurt, but I do think it grimly amusing to know that a similar poll/discussion of the topic I suggest would undoubtedly get the dander of many up, resulting in many accusations of unfair stereotyping, intolerance, etc. Granted, what people find attractive or not is intensely subjective, but really, does a mustache have THAT much meaning? Please. It's style, like a hairstyle, nothing more. To attribute personality traits based on it is just silly.

And as for the 70's **** star thing, considering the average age on this board is in the mid-20's, I can only wonder how everyone seems so conversant in and familiar with 70's **** styles, or what the physical profile of a pedophile is. (Actually, as far as I can tell, pedophiles look a lot more like clean-shaven priests) Anyone want to fess up?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Nobody answered my question. How do you maintain that scruffy look? DH has no idea, he's no help.

--- Laurie

JewelFreak|1303235747|2900207 said:
Nobody answered my question. How do you maintain that scruffy look? DH has no idea, he's no help.

--- Laurie

Missed the question.. sorry.

My husband will trim his ENTIRE beard to be that length (though, much less patchy)... his razor/ beard trimmer thing came with guards- two sizes, plus a plain shaver one. When the beard gets really long, he will use this and it's similar to getting a facial hair cut. lol

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Bean! I've been wondering for the longest time! Of course there are shavers to do it with, never thought of that, duh. Kind of like a tiny lawn mower, you can set to different heights, huh?

--- Laurie

Hehe kinda! They come with different "heads" with this plastic cap that is adjustable to create different lengths.

The other thing to consider is that the younger the guy is, the slower the hair seems to grow in :confused: , so those young kids can keep that look much longer than my 32 year old husband :) My 18 year old brother will take a week to grow facial hair that my husband can grow in a few days.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1303221531|2899943 said:
Not a fan of facial hair, on men or women. :D It's icky to kiss, for one thing. Staches & some beards hide a person's expressions, which I like to see. I'm tiiired of 3-day beards -- the look was kind of sexy at first, if scruffy, but it's so past. Begins to look affected to me.

Can anybody answer this, please -- how do you maintain this look? Do you shave & hide for a day or two while it grows out? Do you do your face w/scissors to keep it always the right length? I can't figure it out & am curious!!

--- Laurie

I can grow that amount in 4 days, other guys maybe 2 (LOL) You maintain it with clippers and guards.

The "scruffy look" mentioned is a day or two of growth and then you're into the picture territory, so there's no need to hide out. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results