shape
carat
color
clarity

Mourning locket

Cynthadia

Rough_Rock
Again...another piece from my partner's mother's estate. This, purportedly, is a mourning locket. The enamel work is stunning, including the enamel necklace part. I don't know what to make of this one.

Mourning locket.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous piece!!! I love enamel :love: Are those stones in the center? I can see a center pearl but what are the other parts of the design?

Cynthadia

Rough_Rock
artdecogirl|1302372885|2892050 said:
Gorgeous piece!!! I love enamel :love: Are those stones in the center? I can see a center pearl but what are the other parts of the design?

I'll try to get a better picture. In the meantime, the other stones are very small diamonds.

stci

Ideal_Rock
This necklace is beautiful and if it was me, I would keep unchanged. Really a beautiful piece!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful locket! blue is my favorite color enamel.I don't believe its a mourning locket because of the color.Correct mourning etiquette dictated that it must be black for full mourning and half mourning allowed dark purple.This piece was made towards the end of the popularity of mourning jewelry and pearls were incorrect because of their color which was saved for weddings and baby christening and blessings. It should be considered a love token or sentimental jewelry that would hold a loved ones hair or photo or paper with their hand writing.

Cynthadia

Rough_Rock
jewelerman|1302499674|2893056 said:
What a beautiful locket! blue is my favorite color enamel.I don't believe its a mourning locket because of the color.Correct mourning etiquette dictated that it must be black for full mourning and half mourning allowed dark purple.This piece was made towards the end of the popularity of mourning jewelry and pearls were incorrect because of their color which was saved for weddings and baby christening and blessings. It should be considered a love token or sentimental jewelry that would hold a loved ones hair or photo or paper with their hand writing.

I didn't know that a locket to be identified as mourning jewelry, "must be black for full mourning and half mourning allowed dark purple." I also didn't know that "pearls were incorrect...love token or sentimental jewelry."

That makes perfect sense!!!

I'll take a picture of the back side of the locket. In the interim, I'll describe its contents. It looks like a piece of velvet. The material is shaped to fit the locket and is burgandy in color. To me, it looks like a piece of lining from a casket - hence my initial belief that it was mourning jewelry.

The chain appears to be fabricated. Whether it post-dates the locket is unknown. However, the workmanship on the chain is exquisite. There is a small bit of wear on one (perhaps two) pieces of the enamel on the chain.

I've attached a close up of a few links in the chain. It's a bit fuzzy, but that's the best I could do for now.

Mourning locket.jpg

stci

Ideal_Rock
Ho! Was sure the chain baguette was lapis... really look like IMO.

Cynthadia

Rough_Rock
Re: Mourning locket - UPDATED PICTURES & INFO

Here are some updated pictures of the locket. I'm including a picture that shows some wear of the enamel on one link. The rest of the links show no wear. I got to see the locket under microsopic exam. Very cool to see the hairs inside.

Comments from gemologist:

1. Very fine enamel work.
2. Measurement for chain: 23 inches
3. Enamel turned on a rose engraver lathe.
4. Engraving visible under enamel.

As it turns out, the chain is the original chain.

Enjoy!

Weiss27.JPG

Weiss27Back.JPG

Weiss27Link.JPG

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. That's stunning. I'm not mourning but I'd wear that in a heartbeat.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
With that stunning blue, definitely not mourning jewelry for sure. The guilloche enamel is killer! I love that it has the matching chain. I'd suspect the chain is original, it looks right at least in pics. Or it was a very skilled jeweler who matched it to the locket.

Cynthadia

Rough_Rock
Here's a full on picture of the locket. If you look closely, you can see the 'ding" in the chain.

Weiss27(2).JPG

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very pretty! Lovin' that blue. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results