shape
carat
color
clarity

Motivational Type Books

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I know there are a ton of "diet"/healthy lifestyle type books out there, which I often think is a bit ridiculous, although this apparently hasn''t stopped me from looking for one to help me, since that''s what I''m essentially asking for here!

Does anyone have a book that they could recommend that is helpful in terms of motivation? I always feel like I know what I need to do in terms of losing weight, yet I just don''t do it. My head is not in that place where it needs to be in order to be be focused on the goal.

I''m not looking for a book with menu ideas or specific plans. I''m really looking for something to get my head in the right place . . . sorry for being so vague. Any ideas? Thanks!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately I don''t know of any books that might help. It sounds like you are in a place where you are trying to discover yourself. I find sometimes that creating a journal of your wants, desires and expectations can really help.

I suscribe to a motivational quote every day. One gets emailed to me everymorning....today''s was...
"A teacher is never too smart to learn from his pupils. But while runners differ, basic principles never change. So it''s a matter of fitting your current practices to fit the event and the individual. See, what''s good for you might not be worth a darn for the next guy." -Bill Bowerman

I have set a goal, and lots of little goals along the way, and I reward myself frequently. I am running a marathon in 9 weeks. I burn about 4,000 calories or so a week training... and I don''t want to lose weight, that isn''t my goal. Everyone I work with just sees me scarfing a lot of food down my throat... they don''t see me swimming 2-3 hours a week, lifting weights 3 hours a week, and running 10-12 hours a week. I often hear comments about how people wish they had my metabolism. I have a TERRIBLE metabolism. I am on the border of needing medication for my thyroid... and I don''t make a big to do about how much hard work it takes.

What I am saying is that nothing is easy. When there is something that you want... You need to know YOU ARE WORTH FIGHTING FOR. YOU ARE WORTH MAKING THE TIME FOR. YOU ARE WORTH EVERYTHING YOU WANT FOR YOURSELF!!! Excuses are justifications for giving up on yourself. Yesterday''s quote was by Henry Ford... "Whether you think you can or can''t, you''re right."

So what I would do... is start with some self help books... to really start to value yourself... once you can do that, you will be able to make the time to work out, or make balanced meals. If you are feeling that you need even more motivation from a team aspect... Team In Training has been a real inspiration for my girlfriend. Not only was she a single mother, she was very depressed after giving birth to a child w/ CP. Training with TNT totally helped her to see that if she wasn''t taking care of herself, she wouldn''t be in the right place to take care of her son. Now every day is a challenge and adventure... and she still loves running. You don''t have to run with TNT, they just give you the tools to succeed... and you can walk.

So I don''t know if I answered your question or not.. . HUGS!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I enjoyed a book called "Real Food-What to eat and why". It wasn''t a meal plan, but more of a look into the benefits of eating food that is non-processed and the joy of nutrient combining from things you likely already eat like eggs and cheese. It also dispels some of the mystique around extreme diets like Atkins, making you realize why I balanced meal of foods in moderation from good sources is really best. http://www.ninaplanck.com/index.php?page=real_food_book

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so it''s obviously targeted at runners, but my very favorite motivational book is Running To Win by George Sheehan. It''s a quick read, and even if you aren''t a runner, he''s got some wonderful little motivational bits. I''m pretty sure I''ve read it more times than any other book on my shelf, and it''s a must-read before any major race I do.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you''re looking for a book, (and this might be the only time in my life that I suggest something other than a book!) but I''ve always had the best success when I''ve had a workout buddy. Do you have a good friend, or even an acquaintance, who has similar goals?

Have you read Anthony Robbins? He talks about setting goals and visualizing as means to make changes in your life.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results