shape
carat
color
clarity

Mothers Ring Stones and Setting

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking for a bit of input. I'm wanting to move forward with making my mother's ring and I want a more classic setting. I'm not looking for the typical B&M store type of mothers ring. I bought, with the awesome help of you guys, a Spess Garnet for my Jan baby from Daniel Stair and now I have an August baby. I don't think I'm going to like the combo of the Garnet with the Peridot. :confused: The color of the spess is a nice, darker orange and has a ton of fire. I wish I had a pic of it on here- I will take one later. It's 6.7mm- so a bit on the larger size. I've read where a diamond can be used for August as well, or I can use another green stone. What do you guys think of the combo? Should I go with a different color garnet that might go with the green a little better? I love the idea of a trellis setting or bezel with a halo of metal that is either twisted or some other type of texture, but I'm just not sure what will look nice with these two colors that are so opposite.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
When you post a photo it will make it easier to get ideas. Depending on the color & maybe modifier of the garnet, peridot might be ok, but if it's more red- or pinky-orange, not so much. Let's see it! :appl:

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the exact hue, I've seen some incredible orange and green combo and some that makes one go uhhhhh....

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
Chrono- you helped me in my search a few years ago. Fortunately, the stone ended up pretty true to the picture. I know a lot of Daniel's photos are not quite true to the actual stone but I'm very pleased with the color and cut. It's not the Fanta orange that I've seen but it's a nice darker orange.

Anyway- I want the stone to pop and I don't know if I can make that happen accenting it with Peridot. I hope maybe someone has some suggestions because I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

_12122.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the orange is a darker reddish type, I am not sure if a yellow-ish peridot will be a good choice. The deeper and bluer undertone of a tourmaline or garnet might be better suited. All three pictures come from different vendors; one was Googled, the second is from Etsy and the third is TL's Daniel M (Etsy) ring. The green stones in all 3 rings are green garnets aka tsavorite.

700x3000022a.jpg

il_570xn_404379892_8iq4.jpg

Attachments

• _70.bmp
    703.2 KB · Views: 649

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous rings. Thanks for posting them Chrono. I love the two pears- they're so pretty! I think I'm going to have to get my jeweler to find a few sets of different tones of peridots and just put them next to my stone and see what jives. As far as settings go, if I want a three stone with bezels, what vendor would be a good one to go with?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think I'd do peridot with it, but I don't know why you couldn't go with a tsavorite instead? Or tsavorites maybe? It'd be cool to have two darker green tsavs on each side of the orange.

If you check out the color wheel, the orange (secondary) is right across from green, making them complimentary colors. I'm afraid that the more olivey tones of peridot would bring out the brown in both stones. Plus, then they would have similar sparkle - peridot will likely look more dull next to a more refractive garnet.

If you do end up trying for peridot, I would ask Dan to see if he has any green apple colored peridots he could cut for you. Anything that doesn't have excellent polish and precision cutting is going to look less stellar next to the orange.

Plus, right now my trees outside are full of orange citrus fruit and it looks amazing next to the green of the leaves!

And since I just remembered these:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/169454264/4mm-dark-green-tsavorite-matched-pair?ref=shop_home_active

ETA: As for jewelers, it depends on your budget and what kind of metal you want it done in. I could see Daniel M on etsy doing this easily.

color_wheel.gif

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
Freke- Those stones are perfect! The right size and I think the color would look great. I knew I didn't want an olive toned peridot for the reason you stated. The stone is a darker orange and I don't want anything to make it look less then stellar. Would you bezel these or put them in an open prong setting? I think that's the part I'm really having a hard time with- the setting. I don't have an endless budget (don't I wish! :naughty: ) and I'd like to keep it reasonable. I'm off to go check out Daniel M's Etsy store and see if I can find some on here. Thanks so much!!

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
I found the thread with all of the awesome pieces everyone has from Daniel M. WOW! I went to check out his "sold" section and this spoke to me. Just stunning! I'd love to do this with the garnet and find some green sides and have them set in rose gold bezels. I think the 4mm tsavorite would be too large though. I sent him a message but I'm so excited! :appl:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/122931915/reserved-for-phyllis152?ref=favs_view_2

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome! I'm glad it was a help! Message him and see what size he'd suggest and then we can figure out if he can source them or if you need help from us!

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
:lol: :lol: :lol: I just bought another garnet :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a brighter orange and an oval shape because I really do like the look in this setting. I think I have a problem because I've seen so many stones I want now!! Once I get home I'll post the vendor pic. It has inclusions but I'm keeping my fingers crossed when I see it in person they won't be too bad. I didn't spend too much on it, so we'll see!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahahahaha! These things do tend to happen... Orange garnets typically have inclusions, and often they are an indication of where the stone is from. Also, they can help bounce light around inside the stone and create a "glow". So not necessarily a bad thing.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here's an emerald and spess ring. I think that a bluish green stone will look best with your spess:

" Very fine emerald, Spessartite garnet and diamond ring

Centering on a hexagonal emerald weighing 12.01 carats between shoulders set with kiteshaped diamonds and calibré-cut cabochon spessartite garnets, mounted in yellow gold and platinum, size 51.

Accompanied by SSEF report no. 59427 stating the 12.01 carat emerald is of Colombian origin, with no indications of clarity modification. Further accompanied by a certificate of authenticity from Muzo Emeralds stating that the 12.01 carat emerald was cut from a rough emerald crystal extracted from the Tequendama shaft in Muzo, Colombia.

Estimate: Chf 365’000 – Chf 550’000

Sold: Chf 1’314’500"

muzo1-2-4dc8d.jpg

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
Wow- that emerald is amazing!! What a beautiful ring!

Here's the stone I bought. I hope it looks as great in person!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130991798489?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

ETA- Freke, I just wanted to thank you so much for coming back and helping me out. :bigsmile: I feel a little like a fish out of water with all this and you've really helped me out and given me some direction! My two year old little girl is the "green" part in all this. Have you done a ring with your daughter's birthstone yet?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do keep us updated as to how the spessartite looks when it arrives. My concern with unvetted eBay vendors is undisclosed clarity enhancement (included garnets are now resin filled) and photoshopping.

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
Chrono- I was a bit wary of purchasing off the beaten path of the tried and true PS vendors but I figured once I saw the video that hopefully they can't do too much to change the appearance on there- but you never know. How would I know if it's resin filled? I've never heard of such a thing. I relied on the great feedback so I hope I won't be disappointed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly, videos can now be manipulated although I do not know this vendor at all to say whether what is seen is true and accurate. You can check for clarity enhancement under very high magnification. I cannot link to the gemmological forum where I first learned of this but I can share one picture where the watermark isn't too obvious because I don't want to break PS forum rules. There are more pictures on the forum showing the enhancement with better clarity. This information came out back in 2010.

eBay feedback can be easily manipulated as well. Toolhaus will give you a truer review.

partially_filled_fracture.jpg

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
Wow- I just read a pretty in depth article about what you're talking about. They had the picture you posted, among quite a few others and of course, they're saying some of the Thai sellers on e-bay are guilty of this. There will not be a way for me to really see unless I soak the stone and look under a scope. I just hope if it is indeed filled- it doesn't crack apart when it's being set- which is a chance even with an untreated stone that has inclusions like this stone appears to have. I read through the feedback on Toolhaus and I didn't see anything on there for this seller that implies that stones are tampered with. Amazing the things you learn!! Thank you for making me aware of this happening.

edit for grammer

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the filling is stable so if filled, the stone will probably hold up well during the setting process. The price is very good for the spessartite garnet if it looks as pictured. I hope everything works out in your favour. I tend to be overly cautious when dealing with a "new" vendor.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do have one. I had a blue topaz ring made for her, since she's a November baby. I got blue because it's my favorite color, but also, I was terrified she'd come late and end up being a December baby, and one of the birthstones there is blue zircon. So I covered both of my bases with one stone. It's kind of in your face for a birthstone ring, but it turns out that it's perfect for her - she's no shrinking violet, that's for sure!

I'm so excited to see what you come up with! And I'm looking forward to seeing your new acquisition!

img_2845.jpg

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
Chrono- I tend to be one of the believers that if it looks too good to be true, it usually is. I went through every other stone and I figured for the price, it can't hurt to check it out.

Freke- Your blue topaz is beautiful. Blue is also my favorite color but unfortunately my munchkins picked months that were totally opposite of blue! I'm still not totally sold on using green stones on the side of the garnet. Just because I don't like the combo. I figure if I use pink I'm good since she's a girl or I'd like to maybe find a nice blue/green stone. I'll wait till the stone gets here and go from there.

What types of stones should I be checking out that are a nice sparkly blue/green tone? I think 2mm will be the best size for the sides of the ring. Still waiting to hear from Daniel M. I'm sure with the holidays, he's swamped.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Freke--love that topaz.

For blues--sapphire and spinel will be sparkly, and a few small aquas will give you a more understated look. Tourmaline will fall somewhere in the middle. GemSelect, Litnon, Multicolor, and Mastercutgems might be good places to start looking.

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much IndyLady. I hadn't even thought about an aqua! That might look really nice depending how this stone ends up looking when I get it. For now I just keep stalking the tracking # every day... lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results