shape
carat
color
clarity

Most Well Behaved Cut?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I have been seeing a lot of JP's Decagon lately, maybe it's just that I have spent more time on here lately too. I have often steered away from 'labeled' stones because I always felt I could likely find something *comparable*. I watched one of his comparison videos, and while he does say it is not 'labelled', it clearly has a distinct difference.

I really love the idea of having a lab grown diamond at a fraction of the cost of an EGD, but, I also intend on having my next upgrade likely forever, so I have toyed with the idea of spending a bit more. I want an outstanding stone (round), and to be honest, I think most people that spend a bit of time on PS will end up with a more outstanding stone than the stones you see on most people's fingers anyway. Sometimes I feel I get wrapped up with stuff like this though, wanting the *best* when something else can easily make me happy without going into the land of super-extra-insane, does that make sense? I hope it does lol.

So, what I'm trying to ask is, is that stone the most beautiful by most people's standards? In that comparison video, I was shocked at how well it performed. Is there anyone on here that would not want that stone/cut?

Like many of you, I absolutely love diamonds, it is such a joy of mine. I'd like to know, if price was not entirely a factor, who's stone/cut would you go to and why?

Thank you greatly!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.
There are many here that love round cuts, and many that do not.

As far as personal opinion goes, I think that the Decagon is in a class above.

But also, as someone that doesn't favor step cuts, the Octavia is also in a class above and it would be a treat and privilege to own one.

Same with true SIC H&A modern brilliant Cushion or Oval...class above, in my opinion.

If I had to choose one amongst them, then I would choose the Decagon. Again, only because I have strong preference for rounds.

Felipe

Rough_Rock
JP's cushion 8 H&A looks timeless and perfect, I think everybody would love it.
If I could take one of JP's creation now, it would be the cushion 8 H&A, or the shield 2.0, or even the oval 8 H&A set east west.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.
There are many here that love round cuts, and many that do not.

As far as personal opinion goes, I think that the Decagon is in a class above.

But also, as someone that doesn't favor step cuts, the Octavia is also in a class above and it would be a treat and privilege to own one.

Same with true SIC H&A modern brilliant Cushion or Oval...class above, in my opinion.

If I had to choose one amongst them, then I would choose the Decagon. Again, only because I have strong preference for rounds.

JP's cushion 8 H&A looks timeless and perfect, I think everybody would love it.
If I could take one of JP's creation now, it would be the cushion 8 H&A, or the shield 2.0, or even the oval 8 H&A set east west.

And would this include from any cut/stone on the market, that you would still choose JP?

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
I think it’s personal preference as I don’t personally like the look of the Decagon. I know I’m probably in the minority but I prefer the standard idea cut with 8 arrows.

Felipe

Rough_Rock
And would this include from any cut/stone on the market, that you would still choose JP?

Yes, I currently own a branded H&A that is lovely and earth mined but I want some change, and I want to go the lab grown way. But I can't use that diamond to buy something at JP, I already asked JP. I would feel guilty to buy a new diamond while I still have the big natural branded H&A.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I personally love the light return and fire scintillation on an ideal round brilliant. A plus is the access to “ideal cut” parameters and the HCA to help select a stone in this shape.
Since being introduced to many other “ideal” cuts on this forum, I am intrigued by “ideal cut” oval and cushion cuts available through Brian Gavin and/or Blue Nile Astor.
Sorry, this doesn’t answer your specific question as the most beautiful cut but I do own and wear an earth-mined round brilliant. If I was able to start again knowing what I know now, I would consider a Brian Gavin ideal cushion:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of JP decagon studs being made as I write this. I just love the look and the performance can't be beat. They are also making me a 3 stone EC as I started out looking at EG but couldn't justify the price. JP is a premium LG stone but I am happy to pay for that service and everything I am getting is still about 1/2 the price of the one EG center EC I was looking at.

That being said, if I didn't want a decagon, I think the diamonds I see being recommended on here by dejawiz and KimN are beautiful. I don't think I would hesitate buying a round without seeing it first, but the step cuts are a little harder to buy online and I wanted the guarantee of a quality, beautiful stone.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I appreciate all the replies, it helps talk me off the edge a bit. I currently have an earth mined diamond cut to PS standards that I get endless compliments on, and I always say, it's not like the size is extraordinarily large that people gawk at it (1.42), but it just out performs most of what we see on average.

So, of course I can stick to those parameters and get a stone that shines brighter than what we generally see, but if there is any downside of PS (is it even a downside?), you begin to know more that makes you want even more out of a stone.

This is why I know I can get caught up with details that may not be necessary, do I *need* an 111 facet stone, I don't know, but because I know it's out there, it makes me curious.

I also wonder at what point do some details become negligible, paying a premium for example on certain stones when the non-premium stone is so close that it is not worth the markup.

It is almost the same about size, I 100% thought I wanted a 4 carat, tried on a 4 carat, it is way too large. Tried on a 9.5mm stone, still bordering too large, but if I went with the idea of wanting more all the time, I'd force myself into a bigger stone when it looks ridiculous for my life lol.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Jewelry is as personal as perfume and music. You have to love it, and only you. Or I'll go one step further and say a tattoo, if 100 people told you this [whatever] was the coolest/best/must have tattoo ever, would you still put it on your body just because everyone else loved it ?

We all like different things. I only like old cuts with very chunky broad facets that reflect pastels, OR a step cut. Some people like brilliance over fire. It only matter what you think is 'the best'.

And in real life when you run into people on the street... I don't think anyone cares or notices. Im a CPA and have clients all day and I see them watching me type all day, i see women look at my hand... no one says anything. Literally no one has ever said anything to me.

I could take that to mean my ring absolutely sucks, but i think it's more that no one cares, LOL,

You hit the nail on the head ON HERE people 'care' and talk about it and it 'matters'. When you put yourself in a bubble with no internet, no one cares.

JP Decagon is absolutely gorgeous, i love seeing them, and i might want it over a modern round because its a little different but i dont know what the price differential is. Meaning, if it's triple the price of a similar lab then I dont know that i would go for it. I can make up that bit of extra sparkle with the setting.

So I am with you on your follow-up post, i dont think anyone, even me, would see that 'extra' difference so FOR ME it would be negligible. I do love those decagon clipped corners though!! I just dont know that i would really SEE it. I guess it depends on how much during our day you really LOOK at your ring. Meaning, take the time to really stare at it through your day. I am sure most of us here spend a lot more time admiring our jewelry than the average person!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I appreciate all the replies, it helps talk me off the edge a bit. I currently have an earth mined diamond cut to PS standards that I get endless compliments on, and I always say, it's not like the size is extraordinarily large that people gawk at it (1.42), but it just out performs most of what we see on average.

So, of course I can stick to those parameters and get a stone that shines brighter than what we generally see, but if there is any downside of PS (is it even a downside?), you begin to know more that makes you want even more out of a stone.

This is why I know I can get caught up with details that may not be necessary, do I *need* an 111 facet stone, I don't know, but because I know it's out there, it makes me curious.

I also wonder at what point do some details become negligible, paying a premium for example on certain stones when the non-premium stone is so close that it is not worth the markup.

It is almost the same about size, I 100% thought I wanted a 4 carat, tried on a 4 carat, it is way too large. Tried on a 9.5mm stone, still bordering too large, but if I went with the idea of wanting more all the time, I'd force myself into a bigger stone when it looks ridiculous for my life lol.

LOL! I always thought i wanted 3-4 carats... i got my 2.5ct and was like "Yeah, i'm good right here..." LOL

Felipe

Rough_Rock

My current H&A EG diamond is too big. I think 4 ct looks better when seen from a far distance. The wearer doesn't enjoy the dance in the diamond as much as in a smaller diamond. My sweet spot is 1.55-2.45 ct. So now I own a EG diamond that I can upgrade for a smaller one (because I want smaller), better clarity and color but still EG, because it would be impossible to spend that kind of money on LG. But the problem is I prefer LG, because of the price. I don't see diamonds as an investment.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
breanne if you haven't seen this yet, here is a comparison video by JP showing the optics between a run of the mill GIA 3X, a true SIC, and a Decagon:

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
breanne if you haven't seen this yet, here is a comparison video by JP showing the optics between a run of the mill GIA 3X, a true SIC, and a Decagon:

Ah! See, this is what I'm talking about, now that I know there is a stone that performs that way, especially next to his own super ideal, it makes me extremely curious.

I wish there was a way to see one in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results