shape
carat
color
clarity

most popular size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
Is 2 carat the most popular size nowadays?

I heard in past, 1 carat but nowadays, 2 carat.

I searched Pricescope for 3 carat, and only a few came up most w/EGL cert and laserdrilled.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
really, 1 carat is still number one? why is this? i am guessing that more people can afford 1 carat than 2 carat. 3 carat only a few lucky people.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I cannot tell exactly why. Maybe because one can get decent 1 crt (say H-SI1) for $4k. Same quality 2crt will cost $12k?

mbn

Shiny_Rock
1c H/SI about 4K, 2c 12K, about 3x as much, what about 3c, 19K?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/2/2002 3:50:59 PM

I searched Pricescope for 3 carat, and only a few came up most w/EGL cert and laserdrilled.
----------------

Actually, there are quite a few 3 carats listed. Was your search only for 3.00 - that will limit you quite a bit. Try doing a search for 2.85 - 3.10. Very few stones will measure exactly at 100 points, especially when you are in this larger range.

For anyone w/ extra cash to spend but can't go the price for 2 carat, a diamond in the 1.40 range will be something to shoot for.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
at first 2 carat looks big to me until I got used to the size, now it looks small and 1 carat even smaller too small for me. I want at least 2.80 carat to 3 carat. over 3 carat price jumps.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/2/2002 4:19:30 PM

1c H/SI about 4K, 2c 12K, about 3x as much, what about 3c, 19K?
----------------

3 carat is doable for under 20k (especially if you are willing to wait)- but closer to 22 - 23k to get a well cut pretty stone, especially if you want a GIA cert. If you bought retail it would be closer to 30k +

mbn

Shiny_Rock
Wouldn't prices go up if I wait for few yrs?

I want to go for EGL bc few thousands cheaper but i am afraid of misgrading, and hassle of sending it to GIA for regrade if not match, i have to go back and deal w/jeweler. most jeweler in LA stands by GIA cert, but EGL they are vague about $ back saying if appraise differently, they can't say anything bc appraisal is subjective.

some EGL stone sent to GIA came back worse or better, but most GIA stones came back same.

for large stone, what do u recommend EGL, GIA or no cert? H/SI

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/2/2002 4:30:37 PM

at first 2 carat looks big to me until I got used to the size, now it looks small and 1 carat even smaller too small for me. I want at least 2.80 carat to 3 carat. over 3 carat price jumps.
----------------

I did not find a huge price jump in the over 3 ct. mark.

Also, make sure you are trying on well cut 2 carat stones. This will make all the difference.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
y, one I have is 2.16 carat, H/VS1 8.5 diameter. it looks small now to me.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/2/2002 4:38:23 PM
for large stone, what do u recommend EGL, GIA or no cert? H/SI
----------------

I recommend a trusted advisor grading at GIA standards. EGL's can be good deals as are stones w/ no cert.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
EGL and no cert stones are good so long as seller is willing to take it back if not meet GIA standard when graded. Even experienced jeweler sends stones in for certification at GIA bc one jeweller i know got EGL H color stone, he sent in to GIA came back J color. EGL was USA LA lab.

another jeweller i know do not like EGL certs after many came back fr. GIA with lower grades.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/2/2002 4:48:18 PM

another jeweller i know do not like EGL certs after many came back fr. GIA with lower grades.
----------------

Do what makes you feel comfortable.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
I do want to save money buying EGL and no cert. I am paranoid about accuracy of grading since I know about certification, too much knowledge makes me paranoid.

I have a sister-in-law who bought 3 carat J/VVS1 stone for 20K no cert, and she didnt' even send it to appraiser, had it set in ring to wear just like that. If it were me, i'd be sweating about the characteristic of the diamond that I dont' know about

RubyBleu

Rough_Rock
Size Size Size...

The competition for size drives demand for larger stones and puts money in my bank. As to what the most popular size is - the truth is most people aspire to 1 carat but never make it. The most popular sizes in American Diamond E. rings are in the .45 - .85 range - a quick estimate would be over 50% of purchases fall in this category...

About 25% fall in the .25 - .45 range, with again 25% going .85 - 2 carats or above... (this is probably much lower) with most of that being in the .85 to 1.75 carat range....

So you could say that at least 70-80% of Diamond E. rings fall far short of a carat - and my personal opinion is that anything over around 2 carats looks too big - and your woman better have those meaty fast food fingers to support such a large stone (what % of America is Obese? 30-40%?). I think huge Diamond Rings look tacky on most women, but then again, I always supersize my Fries at McDonalds so maybe I'm the idiot.

These stats are all just off the top of my head, but they can be verified -

RB.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
My finger size is 4.5. so 2 carat should look big enough on it, don't u think?

mbn

Shiny_Rock
I saw 3 carat on some women, and looks very nice size, not tacky at all.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/2/2002 6:19:29 PM

Size Size Size...

- and my personal opinion is that anything over around 2 carats looks too big - and your woman better have those meaty fast food fingers to support such a large stone (what % of America is Obese? 30-40%?). I think huge Diamond Rings look tacky on most women, but then again, I always supersize my Fries at McDonalds so maybe I'm the idiot.

These stats are all just off the top of my head, but they can be verified -

RB.

----------------

I take issue w/ your comment. It is only tacky if YOUR NOT the one wearing it ;-) I never supersize my fries...and I am a trim size 6 w/ a size 5 3/4 finger. I am a middle aged women and can assure you a 3 carat diamond is not too big. It will be quite elegant when I am finished setting the stone. We live way below our means. ..just traded in my five year old dented white ford Taurus Station wagon (very prudent color) for a FANCY blue one (yes, the salesmen saw me coming proclaiming "I want the Blue one") - I'm a wild women - what can I say. Jewelry, diamonds in particular, are a passion of mine. I like the fact that I am different w/ a 3 carat stone. And, it a very fun dicotomy (sp?) to my jeans and t-shirt approach to life. JMSOT (just my spin on things) I would, however, say that anything much over 3 carats did look rather dopey on my fingers.

RubyBleu

Rough_Rock
Yes - But don't you think that there is a cultural/aesthetic argument that says a middle aged woman can wear (pull off wearing) bigger stones, or larger pieces of jewellery, where as younger woman can't (or shouldn't)?

What I mean is a young woman can wear big pieces when they are obvious costume pieces. Put a large (lots of gold) high carat weight multi-stone ring on her finger and it looks what? Gaudy? Tacky? Out of place. Age has stature - and you need stature to pull off bigger pieces. But this is just my opinion. I encourage you all to keep buying big and to keep buying diamonds.

(actually, the margins on the smaller Diamonds are much better so in actual fact, keep buying small. It can be really hard for some people to make money on large stones.)

RB

csanders

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I just saw this post and figured I'd add my 2 cents...

I just bought a 1.10 princess stone. When I went in to the jewelry store, I tried on many different sizes to see what looked best. I'm only 23 and 110lbs. and when I put on a 2 carat it looked too big on my finger. I swear it looked like I was playing in my grandmother's jewelry.:bigsmile: I think the carat size issue has alot to do with age, etc. You can bet when I'm 50 I'll have a 4 carat rock on my hand.... ;))

Cherie:))

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/4/2002 9:54:08 PM

Yes - But don't you think that there is a cultural/aesthetic argument that says a middle aged woman can wear (pull off wearing) bigger stones, or larger pieces of jewellery, where as younger woman can't (or shouldn't)?

Yes, I agree with you - jewelry should be age appropriate. But, I also do understand that diamond (i.e. size) is sort of a women's macho. Not a fact I am proud of - but I also really love diamonds...just something about them.

(actually, the margins on the smaller Diamonds are much better so in actual fact, keep buying small. It can be really hard for some people to make money on large stones.)

This makes logical sense. If you have a stone that you paid 4000 for you could easily push the price to 4800. But, paying 15,000 for a stone it would be more difficult in a competitive environment to make ,say ,the 20%. Thus adding 3,000 to the piece. Plus, it would seem to me that you could sell three $4800 stones easier than you could sell one $18,000 stone. Also, the 4000 stone may be more plentiful and also more competitive to be able to buy right.

In my business the old saying goes...."feed the masses dine with the classess. feed the classes dine with the masses. It's nice to handle and carry the high end items. ..but my bread and butter are the lower end items with a real good profit margin. Of course, in a perfect world, High end items w/ Great profit margin would be nice.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
A 3 carat stone on a women in their 30s or 40s would look best on a solitaire setting to show off stone. If you adorn the band with side stones, ring shall look big on most 4 to 4.5 size fingers. With simple solitaire band, a 3 carat looks very nice good size, not too big, just right. I tried a 3 carat cz on at JCPenny, and I liked it.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
also, I look around me and there are many women wearing 1c as well as 2 carats, which lead me to think that nowadays most women getting engaged want 2 carat, so this size is very very popular and sells pretty fast too fr. jeweler's inventory.

wndrful

Rough_Rock
Well, I am assumming that everyone is talking about ideal cut diamonds. When it comes to size people see the diameter not the carat weight. You can pick a badly cut (deep) 3 carat which is smaller in diameter than 2.5 carat or even 2 carat stone.

You would say, how much difference a cut would make? Well, it makes a huge difference. Slight increase in depth adds a lot of weight on the bottom. I know it doesn't show but you are paying a huge amount of money for it and it doesn't look half as good as the well cut stone.

Try the following exercise on pricesope, pick a well cut stone on pricescope (say an H&A with depth 60.5%) note down the diameter. Now try to match with another stone with same diameter but with a bigger depth (not much higher just say 62%-65%) you will be amazed how much extra weight gets added.
Check this: http://www.icestore.com/4cs/carat/diamonds.asp
I am sure there are other sites that list more pics as well.

As for my personal experience, I bought a 0.82 with dia of 6.1mm for my girlfriend whose ring size is 6. To us, it is a perfect diamond for her fingers, and also for my pocket. Not too big or not too small. My sister and sister-in-law both have slender fingers and the stone looks a bit bigger on their fingers. UMMV

curious

Rough_Rock
I'd rather have a high line 2ct over a yellow, included 3 ct. anyday.

I don't care what size your fingers are or your body -- a larger, low quality stone is not classy in my book.

My 2 ct. was close to 20K and it is magnificent.

RubyBleu

Rough_Rock
>>>>...a larger, low quality stone is not classy in my book<<<<

Which is why I can't believe anyone shops at Zales... but they do - and for the most part, they buy complete utter crap.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
well, an H/I/J color 3 carat SI clarity is still good buy for the size. With 20K, one can buy a 3 carat H-J color/SI clarity stone.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/5/2002 11:49:49 PM

>>>>...a larger, low quality stone is not classy in my book<<<<

Which is why I can't believe anyone shops at Zales... but they do - and for the most part, they buy complete utter crap.
----------------

I think because of ignorance and it's just plain easier. I don't even go in those places. But, JMHO, I think people overbuy on stones. I'm not saying don't buy something eye clean well cut, etc. But there is a far greater difference from buying a Yellow included poorly cut stone - to buying an GHI SI1. And, yes this 3 carat well cut will stone will always be larger w/ little sacrifice to the eye once mounted. Sorry, I did the F VVS ideal stone when I became engaged. I never regretted it - but I repeat again - it was VERY disheartening when friends would ogle over the larger poor quality stone. Fact of the matter, few people know. Nobody asks your stats on the stone. If the average Joe can tell, then they need to go into the diamond business. If you notice and that is what YOU want then great.

Just a note - 2 carat 3 carat....at the end of the day they are BOTH large stones. ..and one should be grateful for either. Or for any diamond.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
Fire & Ice is right, 2c or 3c are both large stones, one should be grateful to have either. 3c has the ultimate effect of a large nice size stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results