shape
carat
color
clarity

Moss agate landscape YG brooch--is it worth the price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Starlove

Rough_Rock
ockquote>
Hello,
I spotted what seems to be an amazing moss agate landscape brooch in yellow gold. It is being represented as French and from the late nineteenth century. It is particularly eye-catching because it features a YG elevated building in the middle of the design; a row of very small diamonds is at the base of the design (one appears to be missing). The "special price" is $5400. Your thoughts? Seems high, but after years of browsing antiques jewelers'' cases, it''s the first time I''ve seen this sort of thing. Sorry, I did not take a photo.
Thanks for your comments.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Considering that moss agate has a value of $100 or so, only you can decide if the provenance, gold, diamonds and workmanship are worth another $5,000
2.gif

It''s difficult to value an older piece like that, it''s what it''s worth to you (or another buyer). Fay Cullen has an Antique Moss Agate Georgian Brooch for $550, no diamonds though.

Starlove

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response, and you are right to point out the cost factors. I checked out the brooch on Fay Cullen''s website and, while lovely, is typical of the genre. This piece used the agate as a backdrop to conjure the effect of a wooded area; the gold building was what made it so unusual. Still, it seems high, especially now...

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Lang Antiques has 2 banded agate crosses for sale... one is $5,950 and the other is $895. It seems that workmanship plays a huge role in pricing agate.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The price sounds high to me, but without seeing it who can tell? It''s a little like asking, "Is a 19th century oil painting worth the asking price?" The value of an antique agate brooch will be less in the materials than in the way they''re handled (or, for some very early pieces, in the age & history)

I would love to see a photo--it sounds wonderful.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 1:58:30 PM
Author: Kismet
It seems that workmanship plays a huge role in pricing agate.

Yup. I've seen some amazing contemporary pieces that were carved in Idar Oberstein, Germany (agate carving land) and the prices were astonishing--as was the amazing and meticulous quality. Collector market.

Starlove

Rough_Rock
I have some extra info to add to my original description: the brooch features a French assay mark for gold and maker''s mark "M (two crossed hammers) L," perhaps for Atelier Michel & Laurent, circa 1880. It comes with a red leather fitted case, 3 x 1.7 cm. Photo attached. Your thoughts are appreciated.

brooch in case.jpg

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Personally I don''t buy anything I can''t wear, and wearing that would not make me feel like it was $5400 well spent.

If you''re a collector and are looking at ownership, maybe so?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results