shape
carat
color
clarity

More spec''s for 1.03 D color ........any opinions on this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dana

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the double post , I hit submit by mistake. Defimitely not one of my more brilliant moments !!
I took another look at this diamond today :

1.03 Round
D Color
SI1 Clarity
Depth 61.8
Table 56.0
Crown 33.3
Pavillion 41.1
VG Symmetry
EX Polish
GIA Cert dated August 2002

This stone is completely eye clean , there is however a dark crystal that you can easily see with a 10 x loupe at the 1
6.gif
0 position. The asking price for this stone is 5700.00 plus 6% sales tax. Any advice would be GREATLY appreicated . Again , my apologies for the double post !

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Dana,

With the limited info you've given here are 2 possible scenarios out of perhaps hundreds that could be given. This is taking the basic crown/pavilion/table data you've proved and this example presumes TOP NOTCH 3 dimensional symmetry (which it most likely does not have). For sake of simplicity I made the symmetry similar to the goodies people have become familiar with on our site. For a better understanding of what I'm about to explain it would benefit you to read our interpretation of the images via this link. http://www.goodoldgold.com/the_idealscope_firescope_tm.htm

An explanation of the graphics:

These are simulated LightScope images generated within the DiamCalc software and the differences between these 2 stones lie ONLY from changing the measurements on the minor facets (which cover 40 of the diamonds 57-58 facets).

The stone on the left represents a diamond with your dimensions combined with a short star/lower girdle combination. (45% star length combined with 78% lower girdle length). With a diamond of the proportions that you have this is a stone that would excel in areas of fire (colored light return) and brilliance (white light return) but would lack in scintillation compared to the fineest stones available.

This is due to
a. Thick pavilion mains reflecting strong bursts of light perpendicular to the table (as observed in the thick black arrows in the sim LightScope image. This aspect would contribute to strong fire.
b. The presence of dark reds under the table contributes to further brilliance and the elimination of leakage under the table (which of course is a good thing).
c. The minimization and elimination of blacks between the arrow heads and arrow shafts will contribute to decreased scintillation and less of what GIA calls DCLR (dispersed colored light return).

Of the 2 examples given the shorter star/lower girdle combo flatters these proportions more than the next example and I'll tell ya why.

That of the longer star/lower girdle combo.

The 2nd image has stars set to 60% and lower girdles to 83%. This change in the faceting causes

a. Accentuated hot spots between the arrow heads and arrow shafts. This would take care of your scintillation problem from the above example BUT ...
b. This star/lower girdle combo contributes to greater leakage under the table. As indicated by the pale reds you see.
sad.gif
Pale reds under the table = decreased white light return and LEAKAGE. Leakage = poodoo and is why, in this situation I'd prefer the short star/lg combo.
c. You'll still have strong fire in this scenario due to the basic crown/pavilion mains so in each scenario you're almost guaranteed a good looking stone.

If you want the real details on where your stone falls within these parameters (or where they may fall somewhere in between), you'd really need the guidance of a pro who's got the right equipment and the right know how. That's where your fingers do the walkin.
1.gif

Hope that helps.

Peace,
Rhino

danagif.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results