shape
carat
color
clarity

...More on Sidestones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your advice yesterday. What great information! FYI, to answer some questions, it is for an e-ring, and I plan to stick with all white stones. Also, my hands are large (size 8 with long fingers) so that is not a concern...

Here are the two looks that I am now trying to decide between. I love them both, that's the problem. These are taken from pictures that I found online and the stones are much larger than I'd end up with, but you can get the general idea...

The sidestones that I tend to like most are pears, shields, and occasionally tappered baggettes. If I don't get sidestones, I think I'd want a pave setting similar to the one on the bottom left...

Which look do you think will be drool-worthy for years to come? I just wanted to get some opinions to help make my decision.

Thanks again!

sidestoneexample.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are both very beautiful. I am not a sidestone person at heart, so I would go with the pave option...but if your center stone is not as large and commanding, then maybe the pear sidestones will help add to it. Both pictures are amazing. Is the first one a Leon Mege?

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
(just to give credits...the first image at Dahne and Weinstein, the small image is HW, and the image on the bottom left (that is considered pave, right?) is William Goldberg...

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of the D&W. But that's my personal $0.02 worth.
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I like side stones. Especially pears! They look great with cushions!
1.gif

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I love the rings you've posted. I think that you should try on similar options and see what looks better on your hand. You may find yourself drawn to one or the other. Also, make sure to try on a variety of sizes. Good luck!

juicy4diamonds

Rough_Rock
I *LOVE* the look of those side stones. They give the ring so much more character and uniqueness. Good choices!
appl.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I vote for the pears as well. They really complement the subtle roundness of a cushion.

bht122

Rough_Rock
I love pave with cushions so I'm voting for #3
1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/3/2003 5:28:14 PM fuffi wrote:

I vote for the pears as well. They really complement the subtle roundness of a cushion. ----------------

I was at my jewelers just today and tried on a setting with the pear side stones after he insisted--I was dead set on rounds or trilliants--and I LOVED the pears...although pears have been around for ages, turning them on their axis and matching to a nice middle stone is very interesting IMO, and makes for a very different and substantial ring.

I am just starting to look around for a three-stone ring and the pears are definitelty a top contender. I guess I should also qualify this by saying I gravitate towards heavier, "chunkier" looks over more delicate ones.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Antique jewelry (such as the pave setting you have posted) is fashionable now, but for how long? After all, those models were around for decades and noone seemed to notice them until recently. The pear sides produce a clasic look which does not seem to be as dependent on fashion anymore. So, one more vote for the pear sides.
Surely I did mentioned hart-shape sides somewhere... that would be my definite choice (with or without notch). Among pears the shorther ones seem to compliment squarish cushions best (at least in my mind) and surely do minimize the gap between sides and the center stone. However, the proportions of the pears are one factor to consider, whichever you may end up liking most.

Oh, and congratulations for the wonderful ring-making plans!
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results