Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

More insurance information

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

Just wanted to add to the insurance posts, in case some are interested.

I finally decided to get the rock insured, since I am going to have it re-set soon and didn't want any surprise chips, cracks, etc. to ruin my day

I called a few Chubb agents, and they ALL wanted to sell me homeowners insurance first! I finally got frustrated, called the corporation direct, and was told to call their Blue Nile insurance (division?). At first I thought they meant as in bluenile.com, but I figured it out after asking a few questions.

Meanwhile, I had a call in to my Farmer's home insurance agent, who called me back first. I was very surprised that the insurance would be so reasonable, especially after I had heard that the Chubb unsurance might be about $400 or more per year in California. He quoted me $220 per year with a $500 deductible (1.90, F, VS2, plus setting, 20K replacement).

One thing that he stressed that was kind of funny. If I do 'chip' the stone, my best bet is to lose it! They cover lost or stolen stones. So...I guess worst case scenario, I bend a prong and 'lose' it. Seems like a darn shame, if you ask me. You would think that they would want to recoup some of their insurance claim by having it re-cut and selling it.

Anyway, I thought my experience might be helpful to others out there.

If I hear back from the Blue Nile division, I'll check their story and post it.

ps: Farmer's would just send me a check for the full amount - I could get a replacement stone from anyone I choose.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.