color
clarity

More baroque akoyas!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys! Look!
Same pawn shop, more baroque akoyas!
I can't believe it. They had another strand just like the first one with the weird screw closure.
It probably would attach to the other two bracelets to make a long necklace.
Yay $20, no tax!!
IMG_20211218_132241779~2.jpg

IMG_20211218_134606416~2.jpg

Here's the old thread when I found the first strand.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE those screw clasps and tried to get them on my strands but couldn't find a pearl vendor to do it, which almost made me cry.

The gimp is always the first thing to get icky and cause the need to restring and the screw clasps eliminate the need for gimp completely.

Also, I'm kind of picky about wanting my metals to match so not having any metal showing is a big bonus in that way too.

It would also allow you to have more than one screw clasp so they could make a strand very versatile: longer, shorter, to wear as a bracelet etc.

Most of my strands are strung on PowerPro (which, for those who don't know, is basically fishing line) so it doesn't really get dirty or stretch much. So those clasps would also practically eliminate my need to ever re-string. Yes, I am definitely going to cry. :cry2:

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omfg what a find!!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
and no tax =)2
congrats on another and complimentry find

that clasp is really taking my fancy

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE those screw clasps and tried to get them on my strands but couldn't find a pearl vendor to do it, which almost made me cry.

The gimp is always the first thing to get icky and cause the need to restring and the screw clasps eliminate the need for gimp completely.

Also, I'm kind of picky about wanting my metals to match so not having any metal showing is a big bonus in that way too.

It would also allow you to have more than one screw clasp so they could make a strand very versatile: longer, shorter, to wear as a bracelet etc.

Most of my strands are strung on PowerPro (which, for those who don't know, is basically fishing line) so it doesn't really get dirty or stretch much. So those clasps would also practically eliminate my need to ever re-string. Yes, I am definitely going to cry. :cry2:

I think I will keep the screw closure on this new strand. It seems real secure, and the knots look to be in good condition. Sorry you can't find screw clasps. It sound like a hard thing to find.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic! What a beautiful find. You’re so good at hunting up great jewelry!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg. I need to move to where you are. Better yet, I need to move INTO that pawn shop.

They only have two cases of jewelry, but I always seem to find something there!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
So now we need to see them modelled together =)2

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'll send pics soon

@CMN
The inner strand is the new one.
The outer strand is from the first purchase, which I took apart and restrung.
IMG_20211218_200347314~2.jpg

The old strand is on the left, new on the right.
It's so weird that they obviously were a set, but in the shop almost a year apart. And I bought them both!
IMG_20211218_200850720.jpg

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Love love love!!!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
@CMN

It's so weird that they obviously were a set, but in the shop almost a year apart. And I bought them both!

They look so great together. You should wear them as a double strand!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
@stracci2000 What a great find for you! :dance: :clap:

When you did the restring were you able to salvage and re-use the groovy little "peg" clasp?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 What a great find for you! :dance: :clap:

When you did the restring were you able to salvage and re-use the groovy little "peg" clasp?

No, I still have those bits somewhere.
It was really hard to remove the male and female screw findings from the end pearls.
I had to heat the threaded metal end with a torch till the glue got soft. Then I carefully pulled the metal part out of the pearl.
Not as easy as it sounds, trying not to singe the pearl or burn my fingers!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve seen those kind of clasps on Cees’ strands. And wondered what it would be like if the strand needed to be restrung.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve seen those kind of clasps on Cees’ strands. And wondered what it would be like if the strand needed to be restrung.
I should also add that the string was finished with French wire, which was then shoved into the hole of the pearl and glued in. Then the brass screw part was glued in as well. Lots of glue! This glued lump of wire and string was extremely hard to extricate from the hole in the pearl.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@CMN

who says jewlery doesn't have feelings !
im happy they are back together in time for Christmas

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I still have those bits somewhere.
It was really hard to remove the male and female screw findings from the end pearls.
I had to heat the threaded metal end with a torch till the glue got soft. Then I carefully pulled the metal part out of the pearl.
Not as easy as it sounds, trying not to singe the pearl or burn my fingers!

oh
i feel kind of bummed out reading that :(2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should also add that the string was finished with French wire, which was then shoved into the hole of the pearl and glued in. Then the brass screw part was glued in as well. Lots of glue! This glued lump of wire and string was extremely hard to extricate from the hole in the pearl.

its good you rescued them

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results