shape
carat
color
clarity

MONTESSORI Philosophy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
We have put our kids into a lottery for the Montessori Charter school. Please everyone keep their fingers crossed. The drawing is in Jan. The public schools around here have gone to Heck in a Handbasket.. oh who am I trying to fool, they have been there.

I went to visit the school and almost got down on my hands and knees to grovel and BEG the head administrator to let my kids stay. I have heard bad and good things about this philosophy, (the Montessori ... not the begging one) But all I could find was a bunch of happy, well rounded children that were making higher test scores on EOG than in the public school system.

Any opinions ont he Montessori Philosphy?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My understanding is that the Montessori philosphy has been bastardized quite a bit by many schools that claim to abide by its philosophies, so I would spend some time investigating that aspect of the school, making sure that what you believe/understand about the methods surrounding this philosphy are actually applied at the school and that they fall in line with your personal beliefs about education. In case you''re interested, and haven''t found this already, here''s a website with information on the philosophy http://www.montessori-intl.org/philosophy.html.

My personal experience with these schools is quite limited. I have a cousin who sent her son to Montessori pre-school because he was a very active child who required structure and constant attention/activity but didn''t/doesn''t respond well to those who disciplined in an authoritarian manner. It worked well for him. He now attends a private Catholic chool and does fine there as well. He is a great kid, he just has the energy of 10 of his peers, on a calm day.

If you love the school that''s great and I hope your kids get in!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
My son attended Montessori schools for awhile. Kimberly is right that there are a lot of versions of Montessori and not all of them remain true to the original principals. I loved the Montessori concepts when I first saw it. The classrooms seemed so calm and full of happy kids so I enrolled my son. Unfortunately, my son hated it. The Montessori concept of setting out items to manipulate did not work for him at all. He didn''t like the idea that he was supposed to self-direct his own learning and work mostly alone. My son is very social and likes to work in a group, and the Montessori school he was at expected the students to work alone or maybe in pairs. My son was in constant trouble for going up to other kids trying to get "involved." I wound up pulling him out and putting him in Catholic schools which I like less, but suits his personality better.

I guess my word of advice is to make sure the Montessori principles of your potential school match your girls personalities and goals. I''ve seen it work great for kids that match up well.

Good luck.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely agree with Kimberly and Island Dreams.
Maria Montessori was one cool chick! She was a revolutionary for her time!
But not all MOntessori schools are truly "Montessori."
The philosophy also doesn''t work for every child. The child must be very self directed to thrive.
For the right child it''s an amazing place, though. I''ve been a fan of almost every Montessori school
I''ve visited.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not a teacher, but I have had to learn about Montessori schools and I think they are so innovative!! I hope that when I have children I can send them to a true Montessori school and they will love it, ever since I learned about them I wished that I had gotten the chance to go there. Unfortunately, I had to go to Catholic school for 13 years... great schooling, but not really my cup of tea! I just love the idea that children are allowed to learn at their own pace and not be forced to work in groups (I hate group work!), or wait for the others in the class to catch up to them. Plus they can learn what they excel in early on in their schooling. It''s an awesome teaching idea and I find it very "artistic" if that makes sense.

*M*

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sure there are good and bad schools, but my only experience is my neighbor. She went to Montessori schools through middle school, then to the public high school. She had gotten used to the self paced work and had no concept of deadlines, and ended up failing math her freshman year, because she never turned in homework.

I also had a cousin who went to a Waldorf school (not the same, I know), and wanted to transfer back to public school. He ended up having to be held back a grade because the private school teaching didn''t line up at all with the public school, and while he was ahead in some areas, he was very far behind in others.

The concept behind these schools is great, but the execution may be lacking sometimes. As long as parents are involved enough to know how their child is doing and make sure they stay on track, I''m sure most schools are good.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think one of the tenets of it is the older kids sort of teach the younger, so there are classes of mixed age groups. My two youngest went to a modified Montessori school, and my only concern would be when your kids are the older ones are they getting out what they need. I think it is great for the youngest kids to learn from the older, but I am not sure if the older kids don''t lose out a bit.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/4/2006 4:28:34 PM
Author: diamondfan
I think one of the tenets of it is the older kids sort of teach the younger, so there are classes of mixed age groups. My two youngest went to a modified Montessori school, and my only concern would be when your kids are the older ones are they getting out what they need. I think it is great for the youngest kids to learn from the older, but I am not sure if the older kids don''t lose out a bit.

Diamondfan,
that''s a great question! Actually one of the highest levels of knowledge is when you are able to reteach. The older students gain a lot in that they are mentors for the younger students, they learn natural empathy and patience, AND they become teachers themselves. There is a lot to learn from being a leader, and here they are given that opportunity.

I used to teach in a multi age classroom, and I am a big fan of that part of it.

currently I teach in a public school, but I still try to incorporate mentoring into my program. kids get a lot out of being kind leaders.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I can see everyone point. I suppose I would be worried if this was a private Montessori, but it is a public charter school. They have to take the EOG and they are scoring WAY beyond the public school system. I explained it to my oldest this way. We had a "play" conversation.
Me:"A, I am going to teach you regrouping for 1 hour. We are going to go over it again and again, and after 1 hour I am going to test you on it."
A: "I already know regrouping mom."
ME: " That is just too bad, that is what is on the plan today, besides, C and D do not know regrouping."
A: "but mom, Regrouping is easy, so I am going to be bored. Besides, we did that yesterday."
Me: " To bad A, C and D need to learn it, even if you already know it."
A: "BUT MOM, I WILL BE BORED!!!, I already know regrouping!!!"
Me, "Just sitthere and listen until C and D get it, then we will move on to Geometry."
A: "cool, that sounds neat"
Me: " Well, we will move on as long as the others understand Regrouping, we will move one and try for a while, eventually someone will come into the class and take those that do not understand regrouping out, teach them regrouping, send them back into calss and we will go over the Geometry that you wil have just learned and do it again."
A: "But that DOESN''T MAKE SENSE!!!!"
Me: "Welcome to the Public SChool Philosphy baby."

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2006 7:28:07 PM
Author: Moosejaw
Mine:

Hi...sorry this has nothing to do with the topic...but your ring is awesome and if you could let me know where you purchased your garnet, I would really appreciate. I have tried going through your posts to see, but youre such an active user it was tough.

Please email me if youd like.

[email protected]

Moose,

Thank you!

I bought my stone from Richard Homer... I think he is a truely magnificant artisit.

His website is
www.concavegems.com

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to drege up and old thread but I went to montessori school from primary age 2 all the way to 8th grade and it was the most wonderful experience of my life!! I had the most amazing teachers who taught me about nature and math and science and really just let me strech my imagination I cannot say enough good about my montessori experience!!! I dont know how public education is in your area but where I am from (rural KY) public school was very very far behind montessori, I didnt have problems when I went to a catholic high school although I did miss being outdoors terribly. You know your children best and if you think they would do well in montessori then I wish you lots of luck on getting them in :)

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!!!

Well, Both of my girls got into the school. But after deeper contenplation, we decided that my oldest daughter is just going to do better in the new middle school here. She plays sports and is a real "social butterfly" Besides, she has that nice firm base to build on. Whereas, my youngest will be attending. We are sooooo excited. We considered sending her to a Private school that would have ended up costing us a ton of money, if she did not get in. So Life is good!!!...

Thank you so much, I am so glad to hear that you had a great experience with the Montessori. It is good to hear. She will go to public school 9-12, so there will be some transition, but at least she will have a chance.

Thanks everyone!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Yay Mine!!! Great news!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results