shape
carat
color
clarity

Montana Sapphires (?)

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In another thread I asked about a gem that is emerald colored but a bit stronger for wear than an emerald. Someone mentioned Montana sapphires. My first thought was not positive towards that suggestion. I’ve been looking at them on and off for a few months thinking, “meh.” I felt like they were less of a sapphire. I decided to go look at them again and suddenly thought, “I *do* like Montana sapphires! This might be perfect!”

Please explain what your thoughts are regarding Montana sapphires (facts aren’t necessary as I enjoy looking them up). Are they on an equal playing field as a lovely typical sapphire blue? Do you have one you love? I’m intrigued by this gem.

Thanks! :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never saw a Montana sapohire anywhere near the color of an emerald. The green ones are totally a different green than an emerald green. If wanting a more durable stone with a pure green color, I would go for a tsavorite,

Montana sapphires are typically more grayish than a typical sapphire blue from
Asia or certain parts of Africa.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I never saw a Montana sapohire anywhere near the color of an emerald. The green ones are totally a different green than an emerald green. If wanting a more durable stone with a pure green color, I would go for a tsavorite,

Montana sapphires are typically more grayish than a typical sapphire blue from
Asia or certain parts of Africa.

Thanks for your reply TL! Though, I did not explain myself fully. I switched gears here. I enjoy looking at a variety of gems to learn and discern which ones I like most. My question about Montana sapphires was completely separate from emeralds.

You mention what I have seen - grayish sapphires. I saw one that looked like a pretty teal and it made me wonder if I wasn’t giving Montana sapphires a fair look. But, yes, kind of gray, which is still pretty if I look at them as a different “version” of sapphire.

S

SparkliesLuver

I think Montana sapphires are the type of gem you either like or it's not your cup of tea. And I think that because of their typical gray/steely/shifty mask. I only have one Montana sapphire and I love it, but that's because it was a project in honor of my son - the color was to match his eyes. The stone successfully does that, and I had it cut from rough.

I personally don't feel they're on the same playing field as a typical blue sapphire, but I also typically prefer pure hues. If you're wanting an emerald green color, I agree with TL that I don't believe you'll find it in a Montana sapphire. Montana's do green but I wouldn't call any of the ones I've seen an emerald green.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been looking at Montana sapphires for years and have never felt the urge to buy one. Sparkliesluver hit the nail on the head with her description of a gray/steely/shifty mask. The greens are muddy and the blues are greyish. I guess I like pure hues as well. I MIGHT look at a teal Montana but overall I just don't like them. In my mind they will never equal a blue from traditional locations, even a bad blue.

A side question: Have they ever dug up a Montana ruby? Now that would be interesting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply TL! Though, I did not explain myself fully. I switched gears here. I enjoy looking at a variety of gems to learn and discern which ones I like most. My question about Montana sapphires was completely separate from emeralds.

You mention what I have seen - grayish sapphires. I saw one that looked like a pretty teal and it made me wonder if I wasn’t giving Montana sapphires a fair look. But, yes, kind of gray, which is still pretty if I look at them as a different “version” of sapphire.
If you like Montana sapphires, Australian ones are similar as well. The nice thing about sapphires from those areas is that they are ethically mined, if that is something important to you. The color is lacking for some people, and others really like them. It's a personal choice.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I once purchased a Montana sapphire and it cost quite a bit of money. It was so beautiful in pictures, and I loved the color of it outdoors, but indoors, it was a dark gray blob.

I decided it was too much money for something I wasn’t absolutely in love with and sent it back. But I have seen some on here that people have posted that look gorgeous.

I have only ever purchased one, so have limited experience.

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Before I discovered PS, I was only aware of the blue sapphires is saw in our local B&M stores. They were always a very dark blue and didn't appeal to me. Our B&M's had Montana blue sapphires which seemed nicer - plus they had other colors!

I like that Montana sapphires are ethically mined.

A side question: Have they ever dug up a Montana ruby? Now that would be interesting.

I don't have a ruby but I have dug up a nice pink sapphire. It photographs more purple than it appears in person. Here is the unheated stone set in a pendant:

IMG_0856 (2).JPG

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Before I discovered PS, I was only aware of the blue sapphires is saw in our local B&M stores. They were always a very dark blue and didn't appeal to me. Our B&M's had Montana blue sapphires which seemed nicer - plus they had other colors!

I like that Montana sapphires are ethically mined.

I don't have a ruby but I have dug up a nice pink sapphire. It photographs more purple than it appears in person. Here is the unheated stone set in a pendant:

IMG_0856 (2).JPG

Ethically mind is a very good thing. I do like that about Montana sapphires.

How beautiful! And even better that you dug it up yourself.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results