shape
carat
color
clarity

Monopoly Money... fun vote post.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so keep in mind, short of a windfall, none of this is happening immediately, but I thought a bling-centric post might be fun after the angst of the last couple of days.

SO... Your VOTE PLEASE (or feel free to ramble, hyjack, suggest alternatives, whatever)

Which of these options would you chose if you had money ( ;( ) and a stable job (hysterical laughter) and a healthy husband.

1. Scrimp and save and not buy any bling (not one thing, no diamond band, no fun RHR) until you can buy this ELEVEN THOUSAND dollar :-o pendant that absolutely felt like it belonged to you in a way no other inanimate object ever has-- keeping in mind it is a one of a kind piece and it could be LONG SOLD before you get enought money saved (years). Pendant by Durnell is HUGE stunning freaking moonstone that I did NOT want to EVER take off-- Durnell has offered to make me a similar piece (but absolutely not exact) if this one gets sold before I can save up the money. If that ever happens. This is on my neck.

Durnell%20GYPM.jpg

2. Forget about the pendant. BUY NO BLING AT ALL and save up for a huge bling-tastic (and I do mean bling tastic!) diamond band with five 30 pointers and eight 10 pointers that is inspired by this band (although I have spoken to Brian and there will be some significant design changes made so there is no copyright issue). The resulting custom ring will have all BGD AGS 000 diamonds and BGd melee, in platinum with tiny claw prongs and many changes to the actual setting (metal) part of the band to make it sleeker. I can probably do this by April, May if all goes well. It would be for my left hand, as a standalone that will bling people for miles, as an option to wear instead of my engagement ring/ wedding set.
AB27502400_main.jpg

3. Forget about saving up for anything big for the time being. Things are just uncertain, and get something affordable now that you really want, but that doesn't break the bank. Sapphires are my birthstone and I have wanted a RHR with sapphires for a while-- but nothing has seemed right. Until NOW. I can get this band for around 900 bucks between now and January. I fell head over heels for it when it was posted this week (in yellow gold with diamonds) and I would wear it often as I really do adore it. FYI WWW.BAXTERMOERMAN.COM (Disclaimer, I am waiting for something this week, and if it goes well, I'm buying this puppy as a reward either way, but there is a chance it won't go well, so then it would have to wait till Christmas or... later :(sad ) . I would get it with alternating Sapphires and Diamonds in the Bezels, not just sapphires. Just because I need diamonds.

beachstone_wht_sapph2.jpg

beachstone_wht_sapph.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 because I've been there and passed up the opportunity to purchase a 5ct cognac diamond ring and then in a vain attempt to stop the hunger for it proceeded to do #2 and then #3 and then did #2 again and 2 years later I still can't get that once-in-a-lifetime extraordinary one-of-a-kind piece out of my head and it now resides on the finger of another who lives in my town and I'm sure she probably keeps it in a safety deposit box alllllllllllll the time because this is a small place and I keep looking for someone wearing the ring and have never seen it and she probably never cleans it and has a bad manicure too, but I digress.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
#2 because its gorgeous and blingy and you will see it every time you wear it!! I love the design!

Get it... get it.... GET IT!!! *Insert evil cackle here*

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I'm confused by the first one, is that actually moonstone? Or labrodite? You can buy labrodite for about 50¢ a carat. If it is moonstone, even a rare type (?) of some kind, it's worth maybe $50 a carat at most. I can't see the diamonds, were they great in RL? Is that like 10 CTW or something, because I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to get to $11K. Seems high to me. . .

The second one I have seen at Costco.com for about $2K. Their inventory changes often, but it will probably be back around soon.

The third one is the most unique, and the price is good. With the other 2, you may be over paying IMHO.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I would go for number 2.

It was a process of elimination for me.

No.1, for 11k better be one of those pendants that turns into a small car with great gas mileage and No.3 would be a 'cheap' trinket to tide me over - and I am a long term gal so No.2.

:bigsmile:

Fun problem!

BTW: I thought this would be a post about the monopoly money, you know, in the board game.
In 'my day' we had fists full of cash to play with - it seems these days, the game is played with debit cards....booooooooo. Takes all the fun out of paying somebody their rent in $1's.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I'd probably get a replica made of #1.

I know what it's like to love love LOVE and need and want a piece that seems like it was uniquely put on this Earth for you. If this isn't a frequent feeling for you, and you really genuinely want it so badly that nothing else will do, then why try to assuage that need with something that isn't perfect? Go ahead and save for it, knowing that you may have to tap that fund for something else if life takes an unexpected turn. Worst case, you'll have to spend the money elsewhere, but saving in and of itself is never bad.

That said, I'm with iLander in that I don't immediately see why that pendant costs $11K, although I'm pretty ignorant by the standards of this forum so perhaps I'm just missing something. While a replica would probably still be pretty darn expensive with all those diamonds, it seems likely to me that you could still get it for a lot less than the cost of a good used car. So I'd save up and go for a replica, myself.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Door #1. That's a gorgeous pendant, and I like the fact that it's one of a kind. Honestly, the center stone isn't tremendously valuable in and of itself ... but it's a one-of-a-kind "art" piece, so I'm a lot quicker to justify the markup for design than I am for, say, Tifanny semi-precious jewelry (saw a pair of sugarloaf carnelian earrings for 2K there, and actually giggled). I wouldn't feel comfortable ripping off/copying a piece from a small artisan, so ... if you want that look, it's saving 11k for it. It'll be worth it - that really is a gorgeous piece.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Circe|1289746106|2765503 said:
Door #1. That's a gorgeous pendant, and I like the fact that it's one of a kind. Honestly, the center stone isn't tremendously valuable in and of itself ... but it's a one-of-a-kind "art" piece, so I'm a lot quicker to justify the markup for design than I am for, say, Tifanny semi-precious jewelry (saw a pair of sugarloaf carnelian earrings for 2K there, and actually giggled). I wouldn't feel comfortable ripping off/copying a piece from a small artisan, so ... if you want that look, it's saving 11k for it. It'll be worth it - that really is a gorgeous piece.

Yup - the necklace is gorgeous, unique and Gypsy describes the longing she has for it in a way that isn't matched in the descrption of the other items.

The ring, while gorgeous, is much more common place.

E B

Ideal_Rock
#1, with a twist.

Would Durnell make you the diamond piece to hold a moonstone YOU find and purchase? Or would she have to supply it?

If the former, that's what I vote for.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely #1. I couldn't take my eyes off it. I coveted it for a moment. :devil: If I had something like that, I would wear it all the time and it would be my signature piece, an heirloom. Just sayin... ;))

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
If it was me, I'd get a replica of #1 made. Like a cheap replica with fakeys. While it's beautiful, to me you can't wear it enough to warrant much of an expense. I agree with Steal: $11,000 = vroom vroom

THEN, I'd get #2. Absolutely exquisite!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have Sally make a pendant similar, and be able to tweak it so it was exactly me. Or I would get #2.

I love threads like this!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Would you be willing to allow another designer to create pendant number 1?

tigian

Ideal_Rock
#2....for selfish reasons. :devil: I love the garland band and the design that you described sounds soooo delicious. And then I'm going to copy you at some point. :halo:
Ok, back to you. I've been hearing you mention the garland band for a while and know it is high on your wishlist. Honestly, I think the pendant is gorgeous, but concerned that it may not be worth that price. Think of the diamonds you could get for that money.
I'm afraid #3 is just a substitute for anything else. I think it is a fun piece, but wonder if you may tire of it easily...(hope that doesn't offend you)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love all the thoughtful responses.

About the pendant. I about fell out of my chair when I was told the price of it. When I tried it on I thought... 5K-6K. Durnell's work is EXPENSIVE. She costs more than Leon. Her work is IMMACULATE however I can't tell you how amazing the workmanship on that pendant was. I think she would be willing to do something similar with a moonstone I purchase and I've already got a vendor trying to source one of that color with that sheen. We'll see if it happens. When I spoke to Richard Wise the price for a moonstone of that size and grade was in the 2K range. Shocked the heck out of me.

Would I have someone else make me something similar? No, probably not. It's the quality of the piece that is one of the reasons for my desire for it, and I believe very strongly in copyright.

The Garland Band. iLander You can get a tiffany solitaire at costco for 2K too, that doesn't mean it's the same quality. The BGD version, as I've said, would have signififcant changes to the setting/band design (again copyright) and the diamond quality would be the best there is. And BGD's workmanship is amazing, I have a piece by them already and have seen many others. It's apples and oranges.

I do LOVE that it is a ring with huge amounts of BLING and I can stare at it and really enjoy the heck out of wearing it. And YES, I do desperately want it-- love it and would wear it all the time. But in a different way than the Moonstone. That Moonstone necklace felt like it was mine when I saw it in the case. I don't know how to describe it. But Matata: exactly.

As for number 3.... hmm. Interesting points made. Gonna have to think about it for a while.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
And ROFLMAO at the thought of a pendant turning into a car. I agree the price on the piece is... way outside what you would think it should cost.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
If it were me I would get #2 because I like it. For you, I think you should do #1. It doesnt do much for me, but it is clear that you cannot live without it.

Do whatever you have to do to get it! Or one that is similar enough to satisfy the Diamond Demons.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1289775844|2765949 said:
When I spoke to Richard Wise the price for a moonstone of that size and grade was in the 2K range. Shocked the heck out of me.

Yep, I got the same shock when I started looking for a collector's piece about 6mos ago. Knowing nothing about moonstone other than I liked the rainbow and blue varieties and working under the assumption it was a common gem without varying distinction in quality and not very expensive I was quickly thrust from fantasy to reality when I contacted Richard. Moonstone....who knew :confused:

E B

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1289775844|2765949 said:
I think she would be willing to do something similar with a moonstone I purchase and I've already got a vendor trying to source one of that color with that sheen.

Then this, absolutely.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Follow your heart. The necklace is STUNNING. Overpriced but beautiful. I LOVE the garland band and think that is something you will enjoy wearing. Option 3 is not my taste so it's hard for me to get excited about that choice.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would save for the pendant :) it is pricey but it seems like you LOVE it and it is definitely a WOW piece but not so blingy that you couldn't get a lot of wear out of it. It is really beautiful and unique :)

BUT, ultimately you have to decide what makes YOU the most happy. If you get lots of smaller pieces along the way, will that make you happier than the pendant?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
The pendant. (or one just like it)

I doubt you're going to stop thinking about it until it's yours. Buying anything that's not exactly what you want is just cheating yourself and wasting money, because you'll probably buy it eventually anyway.

Saving up for something that you truly must have, and finally reaching your goal is good for the soul.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
:appl: I vote for #1 or #2!

I know the magic of the necklace beckons, but once you get it, the magic may wear off over time. You will probably always love it but you might not wear it always depending on whether it matched your outfit or etc. Also, remember your craving for the Cartier earrings? :naughty: Sometimes, I have found that insane cravings for a very specific thing that is very unique fade away over time and can even turn into regret. Looking back at those types of "pieces" I either feel regret because my style has evolved or because they rarely get worn. My classic pieces are always worn whereas my more unique fine jewelry items rarely see the light of day.

A classic like #2, you would never ever regret, IMHO! That baby would get WORN... and admired...and it goes with everything! Of all my rings, I love my 5-stone the most for functionality. It's so comfortable and therefore my favorite piece to wear besides my ER.

I would not go for #3. Every time you look down at it, what if you think, "Consolation prize instead of #1 or #2?" I feel like anything you don't ABSOLUTELY LOVE and are bonkers for can be a waste of money. I would rather save for the thing you really REALLY want - something that will make your heart thrill for years to come! Short term gratification never satisfies in the end! But I must admit that it is very pretty!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I recall that BGD ring coming up before in your posts. Wait a few months and see if the desire for the pendant matches your ongoing desire for the garland ring. Time is working in your favor here. :naughty:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wonder if what you TRULY want is happiness & that can't actually be saved for or bought or recreated or sourced etc. And I say this after a crazy shopping binge this weekend myself ... distracting myself from loneliness, fear, uncertainty, anxiety, a blue mood etc.... So I'm probably just projecting! :tongue:

And, BTW, I had to read this a couple of times because for a minute I thought you were getting a PUPPY & I was all like HUH? What happened to the kitty? You're not going to make a fly crazy cat lady* by mixing in dogs like that.

* reference to Neatfreaks post on your other kitty thread ... just a joke!

Re: the items themselves ... none of 'em have me jumpin' out my chair ... so its a choice I wouldn't ever face. But a choice like that is SO FAR from my reality that the mere consideration of the question *is*, in fact, a joke! ;))

Whatever you decide ... I hope you love, love, love it - no regrets. I kind of agree with the "wait on it" advice above. Who knows what might turn your head next?

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
#2 Classic and so pretty! :love:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
#1 is absolutely gorgeous but I think I'd go with the diamond ring. I'm just really in love with the blingyness of it and overall its design. :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
!

decodelighted|1289787110|2766141 said:
I wonder if what you TRULY want is happiness & that can't actually be saved for or bought or recreated or sourced etc. And I say this after a crazy shopping binge this weekend myself ... distracting myself from loneliness, fear, uncertainty, anxiety, a blue mood etc.... So I'm probably just projecting! :tongue:

No this is definitely true. I am in a weird place and am looking for instant gratification. I just bought a new suit and a new pair of shoes though... so that craving is a little better.

AND... um. I am getting a new cat too. ( :-o )... I will post about that separately in a minute.

The Moonstone isn't an everyday piece. So I'm thinking I will source the center stone for it if I can find the right one in the next few months. Keep the pics and let Durnel know that I will be in touch at a later date for a similar piece. If a windfall happens between now and then, it's my first piece. The main reason for downgrading this is that my husband reminded me today that I have only worn my Persian Turquoise and diamond pendant ONCE in the two years I've owned it. Because I'm always wearing my BGD pendant. I'm a diamond girl. I really am.

The Garland Band is my next purchase-- you all are right. Since much of the bling wanting (oh, and Deco is the Cartier earring gal, not me) is for gratification. Having a piece on my finger everyday is the best way to get that. And having a TON of freaking AGS000 F-G VS stones is the gift that keeps on giving. And I am a diamond girl. I really am.

As for the stunning Beachstone Band... I like it a lot... but it is a band aid and I need stitches. You guys know me well.

Now, let's hope that I don't go insane keeping current job while I look for new job.That Hubby continues to improve and the event this week goes really really well. I need dust for that. So that around May I can buy my garland band. Guilt free.

I do wish Monopoly money was real money. Or that I had a money tree... cause the truth is... I want all THREE! :Up_to_something:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: !

Gypsy|1289791155|2766223 said:
[my husband reminded me today that I have only worn my Persian Turquoise and diamond pendant ONCE in the two years I've owned it. Because I'm always wearing my BGD pendant. I'm a diamond girl. I really am. The Garland Band is my next purchase-- you all are right. Since much of the bling wanting (oh, and Deco is the Cartier earring gal, not me) is for gratification. Having a piece on my finger everyday is the best way to get that. And having a TON of freaking AGS000 F-G VS stones is the gift that keeps on giving. And I am a diamond girl. I really am.
LOL! That's a great point about the ring being the most "in your face" item ... with maximum visual appeal on a day to day basis. You love the pendant in the *case* but would rarely see it on yourself -- even if you wore it every day! And I doubt you'd be using it as a paperweight or something visible around the house ... especially after the theft incident! :o

You can like something visually but it not be a practical purchase for your lifestyle ... i.e. would you get 11K worth of pleasure & wear out of it. Sometimes I remind myself that I can vote with my admiration, not with my wallet. In other words, I don't have to possess everything I adore. It doesn't mean I adore it less. It just means it isn't pragmatic for my life. Eh, you get it.

Hope whatever you're waiting for comes true anyway -- I'm sure there's some other fab way to celebrate! What about dinner at that wine country place ... oh what's it called again ... dammit.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
French Laundry? Ahh... that is tempting. Stay at a lovely place in Napa and get reservations for amazing food. Too bad last I heard reservations this time of year are booked 4 months out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results