shape
carat
color
clarity

Mondera Hearts & Arrows

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sqwazy

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I''m strogly considering a Mondera Hearts & Arrows purchase. Should ''their word'' that the diamond has an Hearts & Arrows cut be taken at face value? Are there known cases of a vendor labeling a diamond as Hearts & Arrows when it''s not exactly so? Any advice on Mondera''s reputation in this respect?

Thanks in advance!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
they have a good reputation, but there is no grading standard.

I would be more concerned about the crown, pav and table sizes, than the symmetry though.
Ask for a sarin scan in degrees and pop it into HCA

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
One thing bothers me though...

Their page about H&A looks like a rip-off from Whiteflash. They could do better than this.
nono.gif

Compare for yourself:

and
[/u][/u]

Sqwazy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply Cut Nut/Leonid!

Should I ask for crown & pav angles? Are they likely to provide this?
I'm not too concerned about the web page rip off....probably a lazy web designer.

The GIA cert states:
6.92-6.95x4.17mm
Depth: 60.1%
Table: 56%
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Culet: NONE
Polish: EXCELLENT
Symmetry: EXCELLENT
Fluorescence: NONE

Thanks!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Proportions look good so far. They should have Sarin machine in house to get you crown and pavilion angles.

You also can ask for a picture of the hearts and arrows for the stone. See whether it has perfect H&A pattern

----------------
I'm not too concerned about the web page rip off....probably a lazy web designer.
----------------
In relatively big corporations like Mondera site content should have executive approval. At any rate, plagiarism never smells good.
nono.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are correct Leonid - that is pure plagiarism!!!

You would think a big public company would not stoop so low.

Are you sure Whiteflash generated their own original chart?
If so then they have a claim for breach of copyright.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In addition Mondera claims are not all true:

"Hearts & Arrows diamonds have three distinguishing factors - perfection in polish, symmetry, and proportion. Each Hearts & Arrows diamond is an extremely well-cut round brilliant diamond, which, in addition to being ideal in proportion, is totally symmetrical and perfectly polished. "

1. Polish need not be perfect.
2. Proportions are not always correct to give either AGS ideal cut, and certainly not HCA ideal cut.

Kathristin

Rough_Rock
I was also condsidering purchasing a diamond from Mondera, but I wanted to know their exact grading standards and if they only used table and depth percentages to determine cut grades. This was the reply that I got:

--------------------------------Hello ,
> All of our diamonds are GIA certified , which GIA is a diamond grading
> institute and the crown / pavilion angles and table and depth percentage
is
> all used when grading the diamonds . Please feel free to contact us if you
> have any further questions. Thanks and have a pleasant day!-----------------------------

First of all, it didn't answer my question and second, I don't even think the grammer made sense. This has prompted me to go looking elsewhere.

Shale

Rough_Rock
I don't think Mondera keeps loose stones in house. At least this is my understanding from speaking to them on the phone. So I would guess the customer service reps would be little help in trying to give you specifics... I bet they only see what you are seeing on your website. For example, I just called and they couldn't even tell me if any of 4 stones I was interested in were in stock... they have to call their supplier and call me back.

I would go elsewhere, but Mondera's prices seem fair and they have the setting I am looking for.

B.

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
While Mondera's prices are usually better than a lot of B&M's, there are less expensive and more informative sites on the internet. Most settings are not unique to a single vendor, so if you post a picture or description, someone may be able to point you towards other options. That way you're not forced to buy a stone just because they have the setting you're looking for. Just a thought.

Edited to add: By the way, Shale, I'm assuming you responded to this thread because you're presently looking at a stone/setting from Mondera, so my comments were for you, in case there was any confusion. The original poster posted his question a little over a year ago, so I'm sure he's already purchased a diamond by now. If you have any further questions, it would probably help to start a new thread for people to respond to.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 2/2/2003 1:18:37 PM leonid wrote:

One thing bothers me though...

Their page about H&A looks like a rip-off from Whiteflash. They could do better than this.
nono.gif

Compare for yourself:

Mondera: H&A
and
Whiteflash: Perfection
----------------
It looks to me like they were both copied almost word for word from Gamzu's website. This page predates Whiteflash's by more than two years according to archive.org.

fisher_price

Rough_Rock
...hope this isn't a thread hijack, but has anyone gotten the cut calculator from the Gamzu website to work?! Seems to have Java problems.

it's at http://superideal.com/java/exel_round.htm

f_p

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Sqwazy:

Don’t let the hearts and arrow display weight heavy on your heart.

I had an exact pair of .60 D VS1 Both having almost exact measurements except one had a 60 depth% and the other a 60.1 depth %. They were for earrings.

One diamond had a text book hearts and arrows if there was a standard that was it. The other had a perfect arrow pattern but a fuzzed up heart pattern. Best guess it look like hearts.

Even the customer picked up on this; as I did that the one with the sloppy heart pattern had just an edge of bling to it!

I guess what I’m saying is that you need to see the diamond. Remember nobody is going to be carrying around widgets and gidgets to prove to people; that really don’t care about what your blowing about or even understand the bragging rights of hearts and arrow pattern in diamonds that sparkle as much or even less then their own
1.gif

Just remember we live in the real world
1.gif

GlitterGal

Shiny_Rock
Hi Corey,

I don't know if you noticed, but Squwazy's post is over a year old. I think the H&A debate may be a moot point for him at this stage in the game but thanks for your opinion.
1.gif

Kindest regards always,
Linda
wavey.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What is even more funny D. is this blurb on the SG Star site...

Culet
The sharp point at which all the facets of the pavilion meet. Whereas there will be a wide range of culet types in regular diamonds, A Cut Above diamonds will have No Culet (N or NON) and occasionally a Pointed Culet (P).

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
That is funny. I hadn't even noticed it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results