shape
carat
color
clarity

Mom's Mom's Cameo

Chance

Rough_Rock
I was talking with my 98 year old Mom yesterday and she showed mt the cameo in the pictures. I had no idea it even existed. She said it was her Mom's. Now, that lady came over here in the teens of last century from Central Europe. Lord knows where she got this from, I don't think that they had the loot for fripperies (<--great word) but who knows.

The height (overall) is 2.5, width is 2". The only mark I can see is "14/" on the clasp.

I'd like to report back with an idea of what it's value is. Can you help with that and any insights as to what it is. I will say that the lady looks like a bit of a flapper, didn't they call that hair doo a Marcel or something? I have seen something like the design on the "halo" around her head. It resembles the Belgian proof mark that if found on weapons. The setting is quite delicate and attractive.

Thank you.
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! And the large size is quite nice!
I think the hairstyle is long and the long part is blowing around her waist. It looks 1910s-30s. She is carved from helmet shell. Older cameos generally featured classical subjects like Roman goddesses. The "pretty lady" style was more modern. Cameos were almost always carved in Italy.
The carving isn't top notch, look at the fingers, for example.
Her necklace looks like tarnished sterling, but might be set with a genuine diamond, hard to tell. I see 14 on the clasp, so 14k gold for the frame.
The "halo" is actually a parasol, you can see she is holding the handle in her left hand.
Value, maybe a few hundred dollars. Just my opinion.
A nice heirloom to pass on in the family.

Last edited:

Chance

Rough_Rock
Parasol ... of course! Once you point it out it is obvious :)

My mom was born in 24 so I might conjure up a story for my kids that it was a present that grandpa gave her on the birth of mom. Why not???

Always liked cameos. Thank you for replying.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have anything to add, but to say it's lovely. Enjoy your special piece.

Chance

Rough_Rock
What a lovely ring. I've always like jewelry. I was fortunate to be able to afford to buy some nice things for my wife which will be going to the daughters.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is anyone wearing this pretty lady ?
She is far too pretty to be tucked away in a drawer

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty cameo!

I’d agree with your assessment that the lady’s hair is a short bob, set with either finger waves or Marcel waves. Either would put her right in the 1920’s, which makes it plausible that the this would be a gift associated with your mother’s birth. (I think her bust or waist is draped with a diaphanous fabric - like the filmy scarves we associate with Isadora Duncan.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results