shape
carat
color
clarity

Mom''s Birthday Surprise!! Special Thanks to Dan & Cindi Stair!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
I am so so so so so so excited to be able to share this!!

Mom''s birthday is coming up soon! And I know I have dropped a few comments here and there about how she''s, at least in my opinion, the most wonderful mom in the world, but also a mom who is not pampered or appreciated half as much as she should be. So... I have made it one of my personal goals to start changing that, slowly, but surely.

One thing that she''s always wanted, but that she''s never had, is beautiful jewelry. Over the past two years, she''s seen me purchase some very lovely items and turn them into goregous pieces for extremely reasonable prices from my education at pricescope.

Sooooo... Mom''s getting her 2nd set of sparklie pretties (the 1st set is still sitting in a jewelry box while she decides what she wants to do with it)

Here is the special center piece...

103PurpSpin.jpg

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
I originally thought a pendant in a diamond halo, but the stone is so beautiful, I''m thinking a 3 stone ring with 3 round diamonds on either side may be beautiful - I might just run over to the jeweler tomorrow to sit and chat and get some options :)

Do you girls and guys have any ideas? Please keep in mind, you have to think like a person who is not used to wearing jewelery and who may be a little intimidated by something overly sparkly or large.

The stone is 1.03ct 6.17mm round

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OHHHHHHHHHHHH what a wonderful daughter you are. I saw that beautiful spinel on Dan''s website, it looks so gorgeous.

I think a three stone ring is a wonderful idea, please let us know what you decide.

Linda

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about setting it, but I think its absolutely stunning and I can''t wait to see how it gets set!!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I would advise you that, if possible, you get the best quality you can afford. I say that cause, I believe it would be great to teach your mom the benefits of good quality right from the start. Too often people start off with pieces of questionable quality (to put it nicely), only to realize (a few years...or decades...later) that they''ve been wasting their time, energy and money on something they don''t even appreciate.

When it comes to design, I also vote for a ring cause halos are made so much these days that I really don''t feel anything for them anymore (unless it''s something really spectacular). And when you say 3 diamonds on each side, what arrangement do you have in mind; 3 of them channel set? Each in it''s own bezel and grouped? Set in a triangular cluster? There are a lot of possibilities.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
3 diamonds on each side was a typo - I meant a 3 stone ring, 1 diamond on each side.

My mom does have some jewelery, but what you are talking about, is exactly the problem... it is very poor quality. I have very few pieces of jewelry, but the quality of those pieces make up for the lack of quantity. That''s how I want my mom to start to feel - I''ve actually seen her be embarrassed to show people her wedding ring and embarrased to show some of her other items, so she hides the stones toward the palm of her hand so they don''t show.

I''m definitely not going to get my mom something that''s less then what I would get myself - she doesn''t deserve that. I''ll show you the end product once I get it in my hot little hands. I am going to go chat with my jeweler when I get it - I should have it before the weekend - Dan''s sending it out today, I believe. So, I''ll likely head to Geoffrey''s this weekend.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jypsie, first thank you for saving me from buying this. Ha ha. This spinel is gorgeous! Your mom will love it. I think a 3 stone ring would be wonderful for the setting. I can''t wait to see what you do with it.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here was the lilac spinel she has in the rose gold setting
TLLOGRlilac.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful daughter you are, and happy birthday to your mom!! I''m sure she''ll love her new spinel!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone, good for you for showing mom that kind of fabulous appreciation!!!

knitwit

Rough_Rock
It is absolutely GORGEOUS!!
30.gif
Your Mom will be extremely touched... I know I would be.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
What a great gift for your mom! It''s beautiful! I like the three stone ring idea! That way, she can stare at it all day and remember what a great daughter she has:)

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
That spinel is lovely! It''s going to make a lovely ring for your Mom!

What about a 3 stone with pear diamond sides?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic color!

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
You are so kind. How thrilled and excited you mother will be to receive such a lovely stone... like a beautiful sugarplum! It is a perfect size, you have SO many options. I'd love to see something in rose gold – the ring just posted is lovely.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
What a loving daughter you are!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

That reminded me of my experience - I bought a diamond ring for my mom 6 years ago on her birthday for $1600 but she returned it to the store! She didn''t like the design...
29.gif

Just want to caution you that the color of this spinel may turn out much darker than the picture. That can be even more so for spinels. But indeed it appears to be a lovely stone!

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
I had not even considered rose gold - that''s a fantastic option for it! What a fabulous idea - thank you for the suggestion!!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
WOW....how exciting for your Mom.....AWESOME choice of stone!!!

Lori

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Your mom is so lucky to have a daughter like you! Beautiful stone.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Be careful with side stones. I''m sure round brilliants were the first thing on your mind, but they are so sparkly that they might easily outshine the center stone, and I''m sure you don''t want that. I would recommend one of the following:

- trillions (they''re often quite shallow, so weigh less i.e. cost less for the size)
- hearts (if you go with rose gold, might work great)
- cushions (they might also help bring out the antique feel)
- some of the step cuts like baguettes (straight or tapered) or asschers.

Also think about "closing" the diamonds a bit with the right setting (semi bezel on the cushions, bar setting on baguettes or asschers, bezels on hearts...), to slightly reduce brilliance, but also think about their size - it probably shouldn''t go above 4 mm.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Pretty stone! You are so sweet to do that for your mom.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to post that I received the spinel today and OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

18.gif

I can''t find words to describe how incredible it is - I opened the package as I stood in the sun in the livingroom.... let me just tell you, I think my mouth actually fell open. This is the most beautiful plum colored spinel I have EVER seen! No I am not exaggerating - it is magnificent!

I know - no pictures yet, but I promise to post some as soon as it''s all put together and ready as a final project.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
That''s great news that you love the spinel. Congrats!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Now, PICTURES please!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
photo photos
36.gif
36.gif

so glad you''re thrilled!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dan does amazing work and this stone sounds incredible. Your mom is going to LOVE it.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I''m so glad you love it!

Pleaaaassseeeee can we have pictures of the nekkid stone? Pretty please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results