shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite old cut vs mrb for studs

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m toying with the idea of getting moissy studs. I’ve never bought moissanite before. Gilded lane has some 4ctw in her stories and they are oecs in white gold. I have 3ctw mrb studs in diamonds and don’t think I will ever make it to 4 bc I can’t see myself spending what it would require. Any of you who are familiar with moissy have any opinions on oec vs mrb?

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Following to hear what others think! I have 1 tcw MRB moissanite studs that I like very much as everyday earrings. 1 pair GHI colour set in 18k RG and another DEF colour set in 925 silver.

This thread is right on time because I have discovered the world of OECs and OMCs and I am obsessed! But I've only been looking at super antique diamonds. I don't know much about how OEC and OMC moissanites perform, like if they're good in that kind of cut or what. Hope to see some insights soon :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re open to either MRB or OEC I’d ask Jocelyn (Gilded Lane) which she feels looks more realistic. I’d trust her opinion.

Of course I’m partial to OEC S. :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
If you’re open to either MRB or OEC I’d ask Jocelyn (Gilded Lane) which she feels looks more realistic. I’d trust her opinion.

Of course I’m partial to OEC S. :)

Of course and I am too but for studs I could go either way!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Following to hear what others think! I have 1 tcw MRB moissanite studs that I like very much as everyday earrings. 1 pair GHI colour set in 18k RG and another DEF colour set in 925 silver.

This thread is right on time because I have discovered the world of OECs and OMCs and I am obsessed! But I've only been looking at super antique diamonds. I don't know much about how OEC and OMC moissanites perform, like if they're good in that kind of cut or what. Hope to see some insights soon :)

Where did you get your studs? I know that some say Moissanite is a gemstone to be appreciated on its own. But I admit it I want something that will look as much like a diamond as possible ha ha.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course and I am too but for studs I could go either way!

Since you already have MRB studs maybe get the OEC moissy and you can switch it up and enjoy both.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Since you already have MRB studs maybe get the OEC moissy and you can switch it up and enjoy both.

Yes. What I’m wondering is how sparkly they are and how mind clean I can be about them. I got some Chris CZ studs in a OECs and they are pretty but sparkle most when they are super clean. Once any grime gets on them they don’t shine - diamonds shine even with grime! Anyway that’s prevented me from being very mind clean about them. And I just wonder if it’s worth it to spend the money on moissy even though it’s a fraction of the cost of diamonds. It is still hundreds of dollars so a lot to spend if I won’t be mind clean. :)

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
What about lab diamonds? Not sure how the pricing compares, but you know they'd be sparkly even when they're grimy :)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both MRB and OEC. I believe they are both 1 carat total. One is MRB in white gold four prong and the others are OEC in yellow gold bezels. I love and wear one or the other 24/7.
I think the mrb in wg look much whiter and brighter on my darker hair while the yellow gold oecs are much more subtle which is nice at times too. I like them because I am terrible at earrings and need to just put a pair in and forget about them until my puppy nibbles on them. :lol: Because of that issue, I wear them way more than my diamond studs.
I saw her studs on IG and would chose the OECs if I had to! They’re gorgeous!!

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Where did you get your studs? I know that some say Moissanite is a gemstone to be appreciated on its own. But I admit it I want something that will look as much like a diamond as possible ha ha.

Sorry nowhere high street—Chinese vendor off Aliexpress! But I'm happy with the workmanship and the moissanites themselves look to be good quality. Not sure how they'd compare to a C&C as I've never seen one meself in real life. :lol:

No I totally understand you! Moissanites are great and I kept telling myself after I get my "forever studs" I won't even feel the need to buy diamond studs... well joke's on me because even after a month of having the moissy studs, I am still looking at diamond studs to save up for. :lol: Blessedly I have small earlobes, 1 tcw studs already look big on me so that'll save me a bit of money when I finally purchase some diamonds. My point is moissanites are nice but they'll never be a diamond to me, not even close. They're almost like a somewhat fancier version of costume jewellery to me. But hey, that's me!

Yes. What I’m wondering is how sparkly they are and how mind clean I can be about them. I got some Chris CZ studs in a OECs and they are pretty but sparkle most when they are super clean. Once any grime gets on them they don’t shine - diamonds shine even with grime! Anyway that’s prevented me from being very mind clean about them. And I just wonder if it’s worth it to spend the money on moissy even though it’s a fraction of the cost of diamonds. It is still hundreds of dollars so a lot to spend if I won’t be mind clean. :)

What does "mind clean" mean? I see this a lot but I don't understand it :/

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
True! But labs are closer in price to mined!

Same here—if I save just a bit more then I could get a pair of naturals so lab diamonds aren't really a bargain for me :lol:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a pair of 5.5mm ideal cut moissies from Distinctive Gems to replace my ACA studs which I repurposed in a ring, and to my eye they are identical. So diamond like!! Really really gorgeous.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Sorry nowhere high street—Chinese vendor off Aliexpress! But I'm happy with the workmanship and the moissanites themselves look to be good quality. Not sure how they'd compare to a C&C as I've never seen one meself in real life. :lol:

No I totally understand you! Moissanites are great and I kept telling myself after I get my "forever studs" I won't even feel the need to buy diamond studs... well joke's on me because even after a month of having the moissy studs, I am still looking at diamond studs to save up for. :lol: Blessedly I have small earlobes, 1 tcw studs already look big on me so that'll save me a bit of money when I finally purchase some diamonds. My point is moissanites are nice but they'll never be a diamond to me, not even close. They're almost like a somewhat fancier version of costume jewellery to me. But hey, that's me!

What does "mind clean" mean? I see this a lot but I don't understand it :/

Mind clean is exactly what you are describing. Despite the fact that you like your moissys they feel like costume jewelry to you. Another good example is lab diamonds versus mined diamonds. Even though their composition is the same, for some people they cannot get past the idea that it’s man-made. And they need to have a mined diamond anyway. So they cannot be “mind clean” about it - it bothers them.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
My spinel set has oec moissanites as side stones/band, cut for Julia B. They are fabulous puffy little pillows. They were my avatar.
I took some quick pics, sorry for bad lighting.
I also have a pair of C&C 6mm studs oec 4 prong/YG. I love them. They have all the pastel flashes without being over the top. You'll have to trust me as I don't have the skills (or lighting) to show it.

20211205_181712.jpg 20211205_181627.jpg
20211205_181619.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
My spinel set has oec moissanites as side stones/band, cut for Julia B. They are fabulous puffy little pillows. They were my avatar.
I took some quick pics, sorry for bad lighting.
I also have a pair of C&C 6mm studs oec 4 prong/YG. I love them. 20211205_181712.jpg 20211205_181627.jpg
20211205_181619.jpg

Those are lovely! And I remember and love your Julia B ring. Obviously not all moissanite is created equal. I’m sure Distinctive gems and C&C are in a different category.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Those are lovely! And I remember and love your Julia B ring. Obviously not all moissanite is created equal. I’m sure Distinctive gems and C&C are in a different category.

They probably are. I have yet to sample any others. But I am perfectly happy with these. From what I understand some of the Chinese vendors in particular have good product. I will have to try some of those out sometime!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These are my Moissy studs from a Chinese vendor on Aliexpress. I bought these to gauge size (2ctw) and to see whether these would satisfy my desire for diamond studs.
They looks so pretty when they are clean but once they get grimy it does dull
their sparkle. I’ve been enjoying wearing them whilst I research lab diamond studs. 847368

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
These are my Moissy studs from a Chinese vendor on Aliexpress. I bought these to gauge size (2ctw) and to see whether these would satisfy my desire for diamond studs.
They looks so pretty when they are clean but once they get grimy it does dull
their sparkle. I’ve been enjoying wearing them whilst I research lab diamond studs. 12F61B58-92EE-4638-84DF-41CE16A02B70.jpeg

0AF207D5-28E4-472E-B41F-DD1545389377.jpeg

88374755-50FF-4CE9-9871-7F1E9F696B15.jpeg

These look so pretty on you! I love the basket design too!

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
This thread had me going down the loose OEC/OMC diamonds rabbit hole on Etsy and Ebay. While I'm not looking for another pair of earrings just yet, I've been obsessed with a pretty 3- or 5-stone ring.

Anyway it got me thinking about how I really feel about moissanite OEC/OMC. I think moissy old cuts will never truly be a mind clean stone for me (aha! using the new word) because old cuts are meant to be just that, old. They're supposed to come from a time when these fabulous old rocks were cut by hand. They're supposed to be wonky and misshappen and have some nicks here and there, even inclusions are forgivable.

Yeah just a bit of rambling while I procrastinate my work. haha

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
This thread had me going down the loose OEC/OMC diamonds rabbit hole on Etsy and Ebay. While I'm not looking for another pair of earrings just yet, I've been obsessed with a pretty 3- or 5-stone ring.

Anyway it got me thinking about how I really feel about moissanite OEC/OMC. I think moissy old cuts will never truly be a mind clean stone for me (aha! using the new word) because old cuts are meant to be just that, old. They're supposed to come from a time when these fabulous old rocks were cut by hand. They're supposed to be wonky and misshappen and have some nicks here and there, even inclusions are forgivable.

Yeah just a bit of rambling while I procrastinate my work. haha

I get that, totally.
I'm here on the other side waaaiting for a good lab dupe on an OMC/OEC/antique pear. Not perfected for modern standard, but wonkified!
I want the particular sparkle attributes but not the price. :lol:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have both MRB and OEC. I believe they are both 1 carat total. One is MRB in white gold four prong and the others are OEC in yellow gold bezels. I love and wear one or the other 24/7.
I think the mrb in wg look much whiter and brighter on my darker hair while the yellow gold oecs are much more subtle which is nice at times too. I like them because I am terrible at earrings and need to just put a pair in and forget about them until my puppy nibbles on them. :lol: Because of that issue, I wear them way more than my diamond studs.
I saw her studs on IG and would chose the OECs if I had to! They’re gorgeous!!

@Slick1 are you saying that the two earrings you have are moissy?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1 are you saying that the two earrings you have are moissy?

Yes. I have both in Moissy. I also have diamond studs but wear the Moissy more often lately for sure.
I had been wearing the YG OECs for months with my yellow gold paper clip necklace but with winter and scarves (no necklaces), I switched to the WG round brilliants though those prongs do catch on the scarf at times. Those are much brighter and whiter on.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes. I have both in Moissy. I also have diamond studs but wear the Moissy more often lately for sure.
I had been wearing the YG OECs for months with my yellow gold paper clip necklace but with winter and scarves (no necklaces), I switched to the WG round brilliants though those prongs do catch on the scarf at times. Those are much brighter and whiter on.

Where did you get your moissanite? I am tempted by the ones from Jocelyn because they are oec, the ctw I want, and in awesome settings :) But then I bought a necklace the other day - doh! so it may have to wait anyway...

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh…did you purchase the yellow gold necklace with the pendant?! If so…yay!!!
The WG RB’s came from Moissaniteco many years ago (~7yrs?). They’ve held up quite well for near-daily wearing. I then bought the OECs secondhand (3 yrs ago), but they came from Schubachs I believe. I would take a chance with Jocelyn’s as she has a good eye. I thought they looked lovely and I was quite tempted. Are they returnable?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh…did you purchase the yellow gold necklace with the pendant?! If so…yay!!!
The WG RB’s came from Moissaniteco many years ago (~7yrs?). They’ve held up quite well for near-daily wearing. I then bought the OECs secondhand (3 yrs ago), but they came from Schubachs I believe. I would take a chance with Jocelyn’s as she has a good eye. I thought they looked lovely and I was quite tempted. Are they returnable?

Yes I think she has a quick return policy (3 days?). And yes the YG necklace with the little diamond :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I actually think she sold the pair I was looking at bc I don’t see them in her Etsy shop. If it’s a PSer I hope they share their thoughts!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I had a pair of OEC moissy before from an Etsy vendor (sold them). I also had a moissy CVB ring with a Harro brand moissy in it that I sold as well. I came to the conclusion that moissy is really not for me. I think that if you like it, it's mind clean for you and you enjoy wearing it, it's perfect for studs though. I know so many people are very into studs as a must have piece (not me) and it gives good flexibility with sizes and styles. Joceyln's moissy seems to have a nice cut, fwiw.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results