shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite as a diamond substitute?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

foodee

Rough_Rock
In my diamond research, I found a diamond substitute called Moissanite marketed by Charles & Colvad. According to their website, it seems to have more brilliance and fire than diamonds. Yet, it's only around $600 per carat. What are you thoughts on Moissanite? How does it compare to CZ or real diamonds?:confused:

Van Graff

Rough_Rock
Hi Foodee,
Moissanite is silicone carbide formed as a single crystal, is is harder than the CZ at 9.25 Mohs compared to the 8.75 Mohs of the latest CZ's, I really don't consider the Moissanite as a diamond simulant but as a created gem of its own beauty but never will compare with the diamond as the new CZ's.
The Moissanite is bi-refractive so when you see with a loupe you can see double facet intersections, the stones has inclusions calle "micropipes" that are kind of fibrous material inside the stone and the color is in the tints of green, brown or yellow but never as white as a diamond or a CZ, I think that any CZ even the generic ones are better diamond simulants than the Moissanite at a much lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results