shape
carat
color
clarity

Mogok Ruby, Appraiser, Gemologist, Goldsmith, Vancouver, BC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lgcdr74

Rough_Rock
Hi People,

I am new to gem stone world. I have read a lot of information from this web site and they are useful for me. Recently, I have purchased a Mogok Ruby, I would like to find a well-reputable and reliable gemologist/appraiser to certify/appraise the gem''s validty/value (if possible I want to know the cost of doing it). I am also looking for a goldsmith (again reliable and well-reputable) to set the ruby on a pendant. I am living in Vancouver, BC. Don''t know who can show me pointers. I hope you can help or at least spread the word.

Thanks!

Ruby girl,
Jackie

PS I have posted this message in Colored Stone Board, but no one can really help me. I hope here there are more experienced people to give me directions. Thanks!
wavey.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ruby Girl. SGL can do a colored stone report for your ruby which will verify, among other things, whether the ruby is heat treated and country of origin.

I don't know of anyone in Canada who does this, with the possible exception of the new EGL lab in Toronto.

lgcdr74

Rough_Rock
Hi Rich

Thanks for your information! It's just being in Vancouver, I do not find anything resourceful to locate a reliable gemologist. From the 'Appraiser' link, I see EGL has an office in Vancouver Downtown. Do you or anybody know how accurate their report is? And how pricey a report may cost?

Thanks in advance!

Ruby Girl,
Jackie
wavey.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
We've seen examples of EGL-Toronto's diamond grading here on PriceScope. A vendor posted a comparison between half-a-dozen stones which had been graded by the HRD lab (an extremely competent laboratory), and EGL-Toronto's grading of the same stones.

The results were almost identical. It was quite impressive.

As far as their colored stone grading abilities, I do not know. I suspect they are good though, because I know that Richard Hughes (one of the world's foremost authorities on ruby/sapphire) helped train the EGL-LA lab, and I suspect that the chances are pretty good that training has made it's way to the other North American EGL labs as well.

As for pricing, EGL is considered reasonable in the world of labs. A lot will depend on the size of your stone, as cost is dictated by carat size. Give them a call and they'll quote you right over the phone. EGL is known for it's friendly customer service.

PuddyKat

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I live in Vancouver too and had my diamond appraised by Jeanne Johnson. Her phone number is 685-8319. I found her to be really knowledgable and personable. She is a nice lady to work with...Good luck!

lgcdr74

Rough_Rock
Hi PuddyKat:

What's the qualification of Jeanne Johnson? GIA graduate?

BTW, thank you, Richard!

Ruby Girl,
Jackie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results