shape
carat
color
clarity

Moebius wedding bands ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello, all! After obsessively perusing the board''s archives, I''ve been unable to resist the temptations of the PS Brain Trust.

I''m newly engaged, and desperately trying to find a good-looking set of moebius wedding bands: most of the ones I find online seem to be either YG, chunky, or both. My e-ring is a platinum fishtail setting from around the 40''s, and I''d like to find something that''s a slightly closer match ... preferably platinum, and no thicker than 2-3 mm for me, slightly thicker for the fiance. Would you guys have any good suggestions, or am I definitely going the custom route?

P.S. - And, y''know, should anyone have pictures of what a moebius-type wedding ring looks like with their e-ring .... [trails off suggestively]

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t really help you, I''m afraid, but please post pics of your e-ring!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to say hello and that you can't drop a nugget such as saying about a '40's fishtail setting and NOT post pictures, doesn't fly I'm afraid! Seriously we would love to see pics and hopefully some members who know about such things like the wedding band can assist you!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS Circe, see if you like any of www.niwaka.com bands, i love them all!
I think though their Soho store is closed, not sure...

NiwakaMband.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Did you see their Private Jewelry section SDL, there are some really pretty things?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful and so smooth looking, I love them!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nikawa (possibly) has a Soho branch? I''ll definitely be checking this out - I love their site, but the online pictures have left me wondering if they''re actual moebius rings, or "just" beautifully contoured and textured regular bands: I''m geek enough that the symbolism really appeals to me. Thanks for the tip!

As for pictures ... heheheheh. The fiance has been teasing me about my online diamond **** habit for ages, so when he asked what I was up to today, I whistled nonchalantly and said "Iamtotallynotregisteringonadiamondmessageboardtoaskfortipsaboutweddingbands." But that, you know, if I were, the first response would be a call for pics ....

Alas, our current camera is completely lacking in a macro function, and the pics come out looking disgustingly blurry. Happily, he''s as geeky about tech-toys as I am about jewelry, so ....

Me: Maybe I''ll stop by Circuit City after my meeting ... didn''t you want a new camera for Venice, anyway?
Him: Heh - well, true, but I''d prefer to obsessively research it on the interwebs first.
Me: Ah. So, basically, in order for me to obsessively search for wedding rings, first you need to obsessively search for the camera that will allow me to take pictures of them? Vicious circle, dude. Also, totally what we are naming the rings; our vicious circles.

Luckily, he''s more decisive about his obsession than I am about mine, so the new camera should be arriving in about a week, with pics soon to follow.
28.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope, Circe!
35.gif
I''m liking you. Looking forward to many wonderful posts as you continue your obsessive search....
2.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe? Ring

*M*

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have two pictures - one isn''t a M-strip but I think it belongs in this thread (you''ll see lol) and the other is an m-strip but is wide - but I love how it nestles with the e-ring...

mobius0002.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
and the other - love how this nestles too :D

infinity0001.jpg

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gosh, Cehra... I absolutely love the yellow gold set. How perfect!! and totally Classic!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thankee, Fly Girl! Me, I''m trying to think of it as the many obsessive posts I''ll undoubtedly make as I continue my wonderful search. Helps me keep it in perspective.
1.gif

I love the options you guys are posting - the version with the french-set diamonds from Ostling & Brooks is yummy.

Cehra, the gold set is absolutely perfect - exactly the "look" I want, but with different proportions: maybe it''s the spread of the pear, or maybe it *is* as big as I think it is, but it balances the wide band perfectly ... whereas with mine, whenever I try anything broader than 2-3 mm''s, it just looks as though the proportions are off. (Silversmithing is my hobby, which is wonderful fun, but which also means that I''ve been making "test" bands all the time, so now I''m getting ridiculously picky.)

The infinity diamond ring is beyond gorgeous - but I think I''d have a better shot of getting my cat into a set of shiny red boots with a matching purse than I would of convincing fiance into a matching one. Sigh ....

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post some pictures of your silver prototypes! And your e-ring!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2007 12:23:33 PM
Author: Circe
Thankee, Fly Girl! Me, I''m trying to think of it as the many obsessive posts I''ll undoubtedly make as I continue my wonderful search. Helps me keep it in perspective.
1.gif

I love the options you guys are posting - the version with the french-set diamonds from Ostling & Brooks is yummy.

Cehra, the gold set is absolutely perfect - exactly the ''look'' I want, but with different proportions: maybe it''s the spread of the pear, or maybe it *is* as big as I think it is, but it balances the wide band perfectly ... whereas with mine, whenever I try anything broader than 2-3 mm''s, it just looks as though the proportions are off. (Silversmithing is my hobby, which is wonderful fun, but which also means that I''ve been making ''test'' bands all the time, so now I''m getting ridiculously picky.)

The infinity diamond ring is beyond gorgeous - but I think I''d have a better shot of getting my cat into a set of shiny red boots with a matching purse than I would of convincing fiance into a matching one. Sigh ....
A couple of thoughts on matching the infinity ring for him that might work. How about the same ring but without the diamonds? Possibly in yellow gold for him, and white for you? Or, what my hubby did. His upgraded wedding ring has brown diamonds, instead of colorless. Makes it more masculine looking, IMO.

Love the M-rings at Ostling & Brooks. (To self, "No, I don''t need another right hand ring.")

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m literally stalking my mail carrier, waiting for the camera to arrive ... after looking through the "Fire" thread, I can''t wait to see what kinds of effects and images I''ll be able to get!

And, happily: thus far, I''ve got a braided band that I quite like which is coming out as the top contender, along with (ahem) as of an hour ago, a little home-made moebius ... they''re a lot easier to put together properly than I would have thought! I''d been worried about the proportions, but it turns out that it''s all in the finish ....

I quite like the idea of making the bands myself, truth be told, but I''m not sure if my technical skills are up to it: I mean, for one thing, I *am* a hobbyist and not a full-fledged professional, and if I didn''t get it juuuuuust right, I worry that I''d be kicking myself for the flaws every damn day ... and for another, there are just some techniques that I''m unfamiliar with (I do fabrication rather than wax, which eliminates a lot of styles right there, I haven''t mastered prongs, my engraving reflects the same idiosyncratic handwriting which makes my students cry, etc.). So I''m thinking of finding the perfect style, mocking it up to see how I like it, and then taking it to a professional to have it done *right* ....

And that''s not even getting into the weirdly specific tastes of the soon-to-be other-half.
27.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hm. I believe that the word that I might be looking for here is "Oops."

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm, is that a princess ring, or a round in a square setting, on a somewhat flattened hand?
20.gif

Perhaps the hand shots should wait for the new camera. But a ring scan might work.
31.gif

I just know more wonderful, obsessive posts will be coming from you.
36.gif
Don't be discouraged!
35.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Circe, I think you may be underestimating your silversmith abilities... but even so, here are a couple more rings/ jewelers for you to consider.

Gold ring

Brown Goldsmiths

*M*

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heh. I''ve e-mailed Irina and Leonid about the possibility of deleting The Image That Ate Manhattan ... in the meantime, here''s a (hopefully) smaller version. Round brilliant, 1.46, J, VS2 (we think), in a fishtail cathedral setting with .25 of tapered baguettes. Better images to come once I get my hands on better tech.*

*I make no promises about my capabilities in employing it, however.

Scanner Magic.jpg

diajunkie

Rough_Rock
Just thought I would jump in here to let you know that the above yellow gold set with the pear shape is mine. The band is 4mm wide (quite a heavy comfort fit too) and was bought at a little store in England. You can find some super quality items in the smaller, finer jewelers there without the designer price tags. Unfortunately, the current exchange rate really bites if you are going from dollars to pounds!

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments! I''ve since reset the pear but I''ll never be without that band.

Good luck on your search Circe!

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Oh, Diajunkie! Absolutely love that band and the pear looked so perfect with it. Not to hijack but how did you reset it?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2007 9:50:28 AM
Author: diajunkie
Just thought I would jump in here to let you know that the above yellow gold set with the pear shape is mine. The band is 4mm wide (quite a heavy comfort fit too) and was bought at a little store in England. You can find some super quality items in the smaller, finer jewelers there without the designer price tags. Unfortunately, the current exchange rate really bites if you are going from dollars to pounds!

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments! I''ve since reset the pear but I''ll never be without that band.

Good luck on your search Circe!
I love that original set! I wonder where I found that picture??

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dia, I''m curious, too - what lovely housing does the pear reside in now? And no kidding about the exchange rate ... I''m going to be in London around the end of June, and I shudder to think how my poor impulse control will collide with my pocket-book.

Poptart - thanks [blushes]. Once the camera arrives, I''ll post the possibilities, but in the meantime, I''m getting a lot of inspiration ....

Mods - thanks for hiding the evidence of my Luddite tendencies.
5.gif

diajunkie

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Not wanting to hijack this thread at all, but here''s some pics of my reset. It''s completely in rose gold with while melee and I also have a curved diamond band to match. This is one of my RHR options now as I have a 3.65ct yellow radiant as my ER.

Circe, if you''re going to London, you will indeed find yourself in trouble! England is expensive enough, but London is astronomical!

IMG_2647.JPG

diajunkie

Rough_Rock
One more with the band.

IMG_2758.JPG

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, that is just *gorgeous*! It has such a sumptuous, old-world look to it - like a Renaissance jewel.

diajunkie

Rough_Rock
Thanks Circe - I am truly thrilled with it! I hope you have a lovely time in London and I do wish you luck finding the perfect piece.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2007 12:51:30 PM
Thank you! Not wanting to hijack this thread at all, but here''s some pics of my reset. It''s completely in rose gold with while melee and I also have a curved diamond band to match. This is one of my RHR options now as I have a 3.65ct yellow radiant as my ER.

Circe, if you''re going to London, you will indeed find yourself in trouble! England is expensive enough, but London is astronomical!
oh oh oh!! I know where I saw the original now! ;-) Okay I''m over being bummed about the original LOL the reset is awesome and I was *hoping* someone would do white stones in rosegold so that I could live vicariously :)

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2007 1:37:52 PM
Thanks Circe - I am truly thrilled with it! I hope you have a lovely time in London and I do wish you luck finding the perfect piece.
That ring is gorgeous!!! I LOVE rose gold and diamonds... *covet*

*M*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results