shape
carat
color
clarity

Modify or leave as is?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I chipped my prong and apparently also cracked part of my basket. My jeweler will have to do repairs, so being the good PSer that I am, I'm going to use this as an opportunity to make some modifications. Here is what I'm thinking.
image_3846.jpg
Add a donut? To create a gap when I wear my bands. Will this look good or is my ering band to thick to pull this off?
Should I shave down the prongs? I'm kind of confused on this one.
Should I orient the prongs in the typical 6 prong Tiffany style? Right now they are different and I'm not sure I'm crazy about them.
Please feel free to be honest and give feedback. Pictures would be a plus!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly think that by the time you did all of those modifications, you'd be better off trading in your current setting on another - if your vendor will entertain such a thing. A donut is generally more about making a setting structurally sound than it is about decoration or creating a gap for a wedding band. The prongs could be shaved down but re-orienting them would mean removing the head (if it could be done) and attaching a new one with the prongs more like the Tiffany. I just think this would be more work and more costly than it would be worth.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1442359917|3928174 said:
I honestly think that by the time you did all of those modifications, you'd be better off trading in your current setting on another - if your vendor will entertain such a thing. A donut is generally more about making a setting structurally sound than it is about decoration or creating a gap for a wedding band. The prongs could be shaved down but re-orienting them would mean removing the head (if it could be done) and attaching a new one with the prongs more like the Tiffany. I just think this would be more work and more costly than it would be worth.
I've become really close to the bench, so cost will not be a concern. Just worried about the overall look. I don't know if I should leave it as is. I do like it but can't help but wonder what if

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the store have a setting in stock that resembles what you are looking for? It would be better if you could see a ring that looks somewhat like the look that you are aiming for before you made a decision.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally thinks it looks good enough as is.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1442361527|3928184 said:
Does the store have a setting in stock that resembles what you are looking for? It would be better if you could see a ring that looks somewhat like the look that you are aiming for before you made a decision.[/quo
I agree. That's why I was hoping for pictures of rings like mine that don't sit flush.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CravingDiamonds|1442431331|3928535 said:
Thank you. That's why I'm torn. I do like it but am always looking to spice things up.

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
I think your ring looks lovely! I would personally prefer it if the prongs were in the traditional 6 prong orientation. The current orientation makes it look like there are only 4 prongs that are spaced far apart- because you can't see the two prongs that are directly above the diamond band. Maybe that's just how it looks in pictures though. It depends on your preference, and the ring would still be beautiful without any changes! I love the proportion of your center stone to the band. Not too thick but still blingy and substantial. :)

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
nala|1442463770|3928708 said:
CravingDiamonds|1442431331|3928535 said:
Thank you. That's why I'm torn. I do like it but am always looking to spice things up.

Maybe you haven't found your dream setting?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case anyone was wondering, I was able to get to my jeweler sooner and here are the results! This is absolutely not my dream setting, but Im pretty happy with it! image_3871.jpg image_3870.jpg image_3869.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I really like the new orientation nala! The prongs frame your diamond really well. I know this isn't your dream setting but it certainly looks beautiful on you!

I'm just curious, I'm not that well versed in bench work, did the bench just cut the existing head and rotate it?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, your bench worked fast! They orientated the prongs so quickly. It's a gorgeous ring even if it's not your dream setting yet.

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
I think that looks fabulous! Your ring is absolutely beautiful, whether it's your dream setting or not. Wish you well to wear it!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Nala, I had wondered what you decided. I think you made a great choice! Your jeweler mst work quickly! :clap: I like the orientation. Your ring looks great!!! :appl:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
nala|1442359360|3928171 said:
Should I orient the prongs in the typical 6 prong Tiffany style?

I don't think you can say "Tiffany style" without getting sued. Ask Costco. ;(

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello All! Thanks for your comments. I'm really loving the new orientation of my prongs. I feel like it makes my stone look bigger and the round shape more defined. As to the process, the bench just rotated the basket! I agree that it was super fast. I didn't shave down the prongs though and I'm pretty happy aas they are.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
nala|1442798831|3930025 said:
Hello All! Thanks for your comments. I'm really loving the new orientation of my prongs. I feel like it makes my stone look bigger and the round shape more defined. As to the process, the bench just rotated the basket! I agree that it was super fast. I didn't shave down the prongs though and I'm pretty happy aas they are.

Nala, I agree about the prongs. I think the rotation was enough & just what was needed. Your ring looks fabulous! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results