shape
carat
color
clarity

Modern or Antique pendant?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
So, I came across this pendant and am oddly drawn to it. I am curious for those with more knowledge than I-is this a modern piece poorly put together or an antique piece? The only info I was given on the piece is that the piece was purchased in London and is Sterling and YG with rose cut diamonds and sapphires. Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 10.10.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 10.10.46 AM.png

Last edited:

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Could we see the back/clasp please?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@blingmeupscotty The second pic is the only pic I have of the back of the pendant.

I was told Georgian for age and the piece is obviously very tarnished/dirty so could use a bit of a cleanup. Also, the pearl looks to be an addition to the pendant or at least the way it is currently attached seems to be.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Let me preface my ramblings with.. I am of no help at all here lol..

This is all kinds of confusing to me.. interesting to say the least though. If it truly is Georgian, those would most likely be paste. If it originated in London however, it would have come from the 40's. Velvet was tailor made to fit the neck although we know how easy it is to replace something like that. I agree with you that upon further/closer inspection the pearl does look like an addon although the loop it is attached to looks original and symmetrical with the scalloped embellishments. It's a heavy piece though you can tell by the metals.. Mid century modern? could be. that would be my guess.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@blingmeupscotty It seems like such a mish-mash to me as I look at the individual pieces and details, so I was wondering if I was missing something when looking it over.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s pretty but I sincerely doubt it’s old.
While Georgian jewellery is silver with gold, the quality of workmanship just isn’t there. To my eye it looks more like costume jewellery, not even precious metal. The gems are likely glass.
What is the return policy?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
This looks like a composite, or ‘marriage’ piece to me, with the buttercup mounts originally holding good paste and the top oval Cabochon being quite a different quality than the other blue stones (which may very well be sapphire but perhaps more likely synthetic as they seem very clear).

The thing that catches my eye is the joinery seams on the reverse, which look like hard solder, not soft lead solder. And the collets are not cut down but rather cut across, which would not be expected for a Georgian piece.
5982BB5A-8BDD-4BF2-9ADE-A731739686DC.jpeg

It’s very pretty. I would love to see a better pic of that oval, though! It seems to have inclusions that are possibly silk. Might be worth the effort. Do you think they would indulge you that far?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Bron357 I agree with all your thoughts on the piece. The seller is well regarded and has a 30 day return policy.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@PreRaphaelite I also agree with your thoughts on the piece, it honestly seems like such a mish-mash of parts. I will post the two other pics I currently have.
087CC403-D2A7-460C-A11C-887501F9C8C1.jpeg C58FC3E0-7452-4424-A2E9-AF5E96AB3CC9.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful!
It looks late 1800s to me, based on the buttercup settings. If it were Georgian, I would expect collet settings. This is just my opinion.
It is obviously soldered together by hand. The rough wiring of the pearl shows that it's a replacement.
If it was made in the 20th century, a detailed piece like this would have been cast, and brilliant or single cut diamonds would have been used.
And I agree that the blue stones are likely paste.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@stracci2000 thank you for your thoughts as well. The seller stated it was purchased at the Camden Antique Market and has been in her collection for 40ish yrs. Do you have to be careful cleaning paste stones as this piece looks as if it could use some love?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 thank you for your thoughts as well. The seller stated it was purchased at the Camden Antique Market and has been in her collection for 40ish yrs. Do you have to be careful cleaning paste stones as this piece looks as if it could use some love?

I would gently brush the whole piece with a soft dry toothbrush to remove any dust or grime from the crevices. Wiggle the brush a bit to get behind the stones. You could then gently rub any surface areas with a soft cloth, which will help shine up the silver areas. I wouldn't use any water or soap, as you want to keep the patina intact.

I assume you don't have this piece in your possession yet? It looks like a scroll is broken off near the top where the ribbon attaches.
Just sayin'!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@stracci2000 Thanks for the care suggestions, I do not have the piece in my possession. I did notice the scroll is missing as well.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@stracci2000 I decided to give the pendant a closer look.

I am curious what paste cabochon stones should look like under magnification-completely clear? Crackle-y? Striated?

Does anyone have any resources you could direct me to? TIA

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 I decided to give the pendant a closer look.

I am curious what paste cabochon stones should look like under magnification-completely clear? Crackle-y? Striated?

Does anyone have any resources you could direct me to? TIA

Since paste is a kind of glass, the stones would be clear. Sapphires usually have zoning, so if there is no zoning at all, and the stones are clear as a bell, I would think they are paste.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@stracci2000 Thanks for your thoughts-none of them are clear, all have some internal and external character. Not sure who I would take it too locally, but would like the metals tested because it is not looking like base metal in person and the joints are messy, but not as terrible as the pics portrayed. The diamond are super gunky, but that would take some doing to carefully clean them up. A really interesting piece.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your photos above look like kyanite!
Screenshot_20211011-155418~2.png

Last edited:

Beaders Secret

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello Stepcutnut

If it was sold in the UK I would expect a hallmark - - and being bimetal then it would be a stamp of the lowest standard (Silver if the description stands up) - can you locate any markings for that?

From the photo's I don't have the sense that it has a lot of age - blingmeupscotty mentions mid century which could be right.

The pearl appears to be a modern nucleated baroque freshwater cultured pearl.

An appraiser should be able to sort you out with testing the metals, and then if appropriate checking the piece in more detail.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Beaders Secret Thank you for chiming in with your thoughts! I will start looking things over for hallmarks. It may be more hassle than its worth to have it checked out further-we will see :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a lovely piece, but… given the overall quality of the workmanship, kyanite or synthetic sapphires makes more sense than true blue sapphires. A reputable pawnshop might be able to test those blue stones for you for a reasonable fee.

I’m really curious as to what the original dangle might have been! Personally, I think I’d be on the lookout for a replacement for that poor, out-of-place pearl.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results