carat
color
clarity

Mixing metals in a pendant and chain?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

I am exploring having the diamond from my late mother's engagement ring mounted in to a bezel-set necklace (like a BGD Barbara or fixed pendant). I've decided that I want the thinner bezel and, after reading all of the threads here on opinions, I am pretty certain that I want it to be a sliding version (unless someone strongly suggests I do the fixed version, because I do love how that looks!). What I'm struggling with is the metal(s) to use and would love to see if any of you have examples you could share.

I know that I want rose gold to be either part or all of the design. However, I love mixing colors in all aspects of my life and jewelry is no exception. My watch is rose gold and stainless steel, as is a ring I wear every day. The necklace and earrings I currently always wear are white gold, sometimes with a colored pendant/diamonds. And next month, I think I will be getting a rose gold diamond tennis bracelet. So with all of that being said, my thoughts are either:

1) Rose gold chain and bezel
2) Rose gold chain and white gold bezel
3) White gold chain and rose gold bezel

Do any of you have photos of something similar to this? Or do you have any thoughts/opinions on how my choices would look? I'd appreciate your insight and experience. Thanks in advance!

19mrobinson

Rough_Rock
Trade
I do pm me please so I can tell u

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
19mrobinson|1444265046|3936045 said:
I do pm me please so I can tell u

I'm sorry, but this site does not have a private messaging feature.
We also are not allowed to post our email addresses or personal info.

I think this is understandable.
Since it is a diamond forum safety, privacy and security of members is priority 1.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I would bezel in a wg sliding setting. You would then have the option of using any color chain. The wg bezel will make the diamond appear larger. I have a sliding bezel that I switch out between wg and yg chains. You need to make sure the holes that you slide the chain through are large enough for your different chains.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Barbara bezelled pendant is so elegant - it's definitely the style I'd choose. As for the color, that's a personal thing. I'd tend to go with white gold because on me, rose gold blends into my skin too much and sort of disappears. I think you can use either a white, yellow, or rose gold chain with a white gold pendant. The only combination I'd shy away from is rose gold with yellow gold: the two are similar enough that you end up with a muddy or unintentionally miss-matched look rather than a nice contrast.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love mixing metals in pendants and chains. Like VR said, I would avoid rose and yellow together, since they are so close.

I particularly like to layer them in opposite combinations - a white gold pendant on a rose gold chain with a rose gold pendant on a white gold, one 18 inches, the second 20.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your feedback. After going through what I already own I saw that I have a thin WG chain, so I'm having my mom's diamond set in a RG bezel with RG chain. I was going to get the Barbara pendant but I stopped by a local jeweler I know to talk about what I envisioned and he's going to create one for me instead. I wanted it to have a special aspect to it for sentimental reasons and so I drew an idea of a heart on the back of the bezel and he designed it perfectly. I only have the CAD picture so far but I think it will look amazing when it's done.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That sounds lovely! You must post pictures when it is done :))

abbit

Rough_Rock
I'd go for option 3

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would do 3 because of the previous comment that white gold blends with white diamond, and it kind of disappears and makes the stone looks bigger. I think it's a very personal choice, however.

The issue I have with bezeling the diamond with rose gold is that I feel like rose gold is very trendy. You're on the fence, which means that you may not completely be committed to rose gold, When it is out of trend, will you be happy with the rose gold bezel? White metal, however, with diamonds, is always in style.

If, however, you're totally committed to rose gold, go for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results