shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing gold and platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

taterbites

Rough_Rock
I have my father''s wedding band and my grandfather''s wedding band. Both are 14k gold. I''ve thought about having them merged/re-formed into a single band, which I will wear as my wedding ring. (I''m assuming, obviously, that there will be leftover gold.)

But I like the look of platinum. I would like to have a platinum band.

So my question: Is it possible to plate gold with platinum or to otherwise incorporate gold in a platinum (man''s) wedding band? (A platinum-gold alloy? Any special considerations with that?)

And if so, where''s a good place to start for such a custom job?

Thanks.

Lauren Q

Rough_Rock
Taterbites,

You will be able to dip the ring with rhodium which is a form of platinum. Since you state you like the look of platinum, I''m assuming the rings are yellow gold. If they are, you will need to re-dip them at least yearly and possibly more often depending on wear and tear as the yellow will come through.

Another idea for you, if the rings are the same, is take 1/2 of each and have them put together and reshaped. This will give you a little of both keeping the original rings and possibly a match for your fiance.

Any jeweler that handles custom designs should be able to assist you.

Hope I helped!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results