shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing gemstones, shapes and metal colors

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sooo, since I''ve chosen a color for my new engagement ring that''s hard to find *sigh*, and it''s probably going to be a while before Barry gets rough for it, I''ve been fantasizing about different wedding bands. I really really like the look of a 3/4 round bezel band..rose cut rounds specifically. So here are my questions:

Will it look weird to mix a round bezel band with a square cushion bezeled solitaire?
Would the different-ness be lessened by the solitaire having chunky facets and the band having rose cuts, so they''re both at least older style cuts?
Could the rose cuts be a colored stone?
Does the metal on both rings need to be the same?

Am I being outlandish and over the top?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What''s the color of the stone?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It will be a lavender spinel done by Barry and in this setting. Hopefully that's the setting anyway..they prefer to use their own stones so I told the woman I'd been corresponding with that I'd contact them after I had the stone to see if something could be worked out. I do have a JM I like if CM doesn't want to.

1130cm.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I love bezel and I think it would look fantastic, the idea is the same, bezel so why not? I'm not a really matchy type of person, but I like having the same idea if that makes any sense

ETA: I don't think you need to stay with one metal color, as long as incorporated into one ring the other would look to complement, so like the ring above, not sure if that's platinum or white gold but you cold easily pull off a white gold wedding band.. but I would just stick to two color choices imo.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T-do you have a bezel band in yg? I have one saved in my ring folder and I thinking it''s yours!

And actually, I was wondering about rose gold..I never stopped to think that there''s actually 2 metals in the solitaire-yg and platinum. I might be getting a bit crazy then. This is what I was looking at..only not eternity, no milgrain, rose cut colored stones.

AR948MR.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yep here she is... excuse my hairy fingers
23.gif
I''m really digging rose gold... especially after seeing a lilac/lavender gem in it.... its TL and in one of my post.. I''ll find it

tnset5Picture 00611.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here is TL''s LOGR bezel shank setting just showing me a cushion stone in a round setting that I asked her on.. the stone is not set... but this color combination I just absolutely love
30.gif

TLspinelLOGR2.JPG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, I was pretty sure it was yours!

Ok, so here is what I was thinking..lavender chunky cushion in that setting above, and then rose gold bezel band w/rose cut stones..in mint green.

Do I need my head examined? Is that too much?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooo that IS pretty! Maybe both rings should be in rose gold instead of the solitaire in yellow and the band in rose?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2009 5:56:57 PM
Author: packrat
Oooo that IS pretty! Maybe both rings should be in rose gold instead of the solitaire in yellow and the band in rose?
Definitely agree! i think yellow and rose maybe a bit too clashy? dunno... just a thought, but rose and white,, I actually might like. especially if the white gold highlights the lavender/pink stone solitaire... ooohh the possibilities

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you have photoshop? or missdayna-- is she around
1.gif
anyhow photoshop TLs stone into your bezel solitaire, change the shank to rose gold....

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, no Photoshop! I tried using Paint once on something else and that was laughable at best..I can type and click Submit..that''s about as far as my computer savvy extends. I do want to acquire Photoshop however..partly b/c I want to do random odd things consisting of pictures of my brother and a field of sheep for my husband to hang on the bulletin board at work.

So hows about..lavender chunky cushion spinel in that setting in rose gold, along w/a bezel band in rose gold and rose cut mint green something or others?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2009 6:30:48 PM
Nope, no Photoshop! I tried using Paint once on something else and that was laughable at best..I can type and click Submit..that's about as far as my computer savvy extends. I do want to acquire Photoshop however..partly b/c I want to do random odd things consisting of pictures of my brother and a field of sheep for my husband to hang on the bulletin board at work.

So hows about..lavender chunky cushion spinel in that setting in rose gold, along w/a bezel band in rose gold and rose cut mint green something or others?
ok Packrat... I'm going to be honest... as I would want others to be honest with me... I love your chunky cushion and lavendar and rose gold color choices-just DROOLY colors Drool worthy so That is definitely a keeper. on the wedding band... I'm not too crazy about the mint greent, I would just stick to diamonds on that one... so it doesn't compete with your ering solitaire and it can be versatile... BUT I LOVE YOUR BEZEL IDEAS!
30.gif

ETA; spelling and grammar problems today, everyday
23.gif

ok... not sure if i want to know about the photoshoping your brother with sheep... lol
9.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
packrat- I agree with D&T. I think the lavender in rose gold will be lovely! But I absolutely would not mix it with mint green. It would end up looking too costume-ish for me. Finding rose cut tiny mint green stones would be no easy task, either!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the honesty guys! I might have to do the rg/mint stone in a different ring..maybe a lotus or something!

Here''s another question for you..I''m pretty much going on the assumption that CM will bend a bit and use a stone that isn''t theirs, so the setting itself is up in the air. Soo, if they were to say no, what would you do? Would you see if someone, BGD or whomever, could make something similar (in either rg or yg, I''d be totally happy w/either), or would you go this route for the setting?

jmbezel.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
both rings are beautiful. I actually asked WF to do a similar ring to the first you posted, and they quoted me about $1100,, just to give you an idea,,, in 18k yellow gold that was about 6 weeks ago. if you really love the design and you can''t get it from CM then if you heart is set on that design, then its worth a shot at getting quotes.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The CM is $900, so that''s not too much more at least. (I misspoke in another thread and said the setting was $700-oops!) I think then, when I do have the stone and am closer to actually able to do the ring, if CM won''t do it I''ll get quotes from some places and see what I find out. It makes me feel a bit guilty tho!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I forget, who''s CM?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2009 8:12:34 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Sorry, I forget, who's CM?
Caleb Meyer

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2009 3:26:11 PM
Author:packrat
Sooo, since I''ve chosen a color for my new engagement ring that''s hard to find *sigh*, and it''s probably going to be a while before Barry gets rough for it, I''ve been fantasizing about different wedding bands. I really really like the look of a 3/4 round bezel band..rose cut rounds specifically. So here are my questions:

Will it look weird to mix a round bezel band with a square cushion bezeled solitaire?
If the cushion is bezeled as well, then the design might not flow as well. Here you have a "masculine" shape set with "feminine'' rounds. However, if the bezeled stones are very small, the difference might not be as obvious.

Would the different-ness be lessened by the solitaire having chunky facets and the band having rose cuts, so they''re both at least older style cuts?
I don''t think so. Chunky faceting means large flashes of colour. Rose cuts are major light leakers with pointy tops. Rose cuts are even older than chunky so you are in effect trying to pass off 2 different periods of cutting style at the same time.

Could the rose cuts be a colored stone?
Anything is possible, but the issue would be: will it still look good? Here, you are trying to cut a diamond design on a coloured gemstone. Diamonds are cut to maximize sparkle and gemstones are cut to maximize colour. Well, rose cuts aren''t terribly sparkly so I''m concerned the coloured gemstone might end up completely washed out.

Does the metal on both rings need to be the same?
Personally, I think it is odd to wear yellow and white gold on the same finger next to each other.

Am I being outlandish and over the top?
If you don''t think so and feel it isn''t so, then that''s all that matters, correct?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you sure don''t lack ideas
9.gif

I think the shape of a square cushion is similar enough to a round in order to work well together. Their outlines are pretty similar, and if the rounds are small, the difference becomes even harder to spot. I see no real problem there. And if you use rose cuts on the band, both cuts will have an antique look to them and go even better together. Chunky facets might go better with rose cuts than a standard cushion. When it comes to colored stone rose cuts, it''s already mentioned that they''d be very hard to find, cause colored stones are rarely cut that way. Having them custom cut is a possibility, but that would be very expensive. If you, however, really like that idea, I''d say your best bet is asking the jeweller to source you rose cut pyrope garnets - they''re a stone most often seen cut this way. Of course, they''re not mint green, but I''m not too crazy about mixing lilac and minty anyway, unless both rings are all white gold/platinum. And speaking of colors, I think you could go with rose gold on both rings if the rose cuts are white diamonds, but I''d use RG only for the e-ring''s bezel, while keeping the shank white. That way both rings would have a mix of pink/rose/lilac and white. I think all RG would overwhelm the lilac stone, BTW. Hope this helps
2.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your input Chrono! I appreciate everyone''s help!

Ma Re, haha, I don''t know if it''s a good thing or bad thing..these ideas!

K, so I''ll nix the colored stone bezel band idea and stick w/rose cut diamonds instead. Then, I guess it''s just a matter of metal: yg ering w/white bezel and yg bezel band or wg ering w/rose gold bezel and rose gold bezel band.

I''m sure a lavender spinel would look good either way..thoughts?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone have any thoughts on metal color for the ering? yg with white bezel or wg w/rose bezel?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 2:45:58 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on metal color for the ering? yg with white bezel or wg w/rose bezel?
I like this option

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for weighing in D&T! That''s the direction I''ve started leaning towards as well. It''s good to get another opinion, thanks!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You probably figured out I''m with D&T when it comes to colors (I suggested that combo in my previous post).

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
I think you should do a B&E at either D&T''s or TL''s house!!!!!!! I LOVE the look of the lavendar and rose gold. It is too yummy.

I say, stick with the setting you love...and with the stone. There are lots of jewelers out there hungry for business. This is not a sweater we are talking about; this is your E-RING!!!!

I love that you have a ring folder....I have a punch of pictures on my desktop. Looking at them all together really helped me see what features I was really attracted to in rings.

Don''t forget, there will be anniversaries, v-day, birthdays....always other chances to get jewels.You don''t need to throw everything into this ring.

Keep us posted

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ma Re, yes thank you for that suggestion! I never would''ve thought to do just the bezel and change the shank from yellow to white-you''ve had great ideas for me from the beginning and I really appreciate it!

Bookworm-haha that''s so true! All the more reason to buy more jewelry right? Whenever my husband asks if I care if he does this or that, I just smile and say "Nope, b/c you''ll be reminded of it all when I want another new ring!" And he agrees with me too..sucker haha!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results