carat
color
clarity

Miracle Coconut Oil Polishing Cloth?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey guys,

I bumped into a kiosk at the mall while I was on my vacation, and she dragged me in to clean my rings. I usually decline the sales tactics and pitches from mall workers, but I knew my rings were dirty after a day in Vegas, so I let her clean it. Then she pulled out a coconut oil cloth, and polished my ring's shank, and got rid of 2 years' worth of scratches. She rubbed it on the cloth, and then rubbed it with a paper towel. I couldn't believe it. How does oil polish a hard material/metal? I assumed the oil just melted into the cracks and scratches, making it appear flat.. but I bought a cloth anyway. I just found it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-All-Purpose-Polishing-Cloth/dp/B001CXPKZO.

I just don't get it. Has anyone else heard of this, or tried this? How does it work? I just steam cleaned my ring today, and it's still polished, so it's not just the oil "filling" the scratches.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought one a few years ago in Las Vegas, also from a kiosk and I still use it on my DH's rings and a few of mine. It works like a charm! it really is a miracle cloth, IMO, and right away, it just buff's out scratches. I don't find that it is 'filler' because DH's ring stays looking great for a long long time!

(I have had no need to try it yet on my current new treasures, but may give the 1/2 eternity a buff when I get home today, just to check it out)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha they got me too when I was in Vegas! Totally ordering the cloth-I just bought the cleaning solution when I was there.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1355751713|3333344 said:
Ha they got me too when I was in Vegas! Totally ordering the cloth-I just bought the cleaning solution when I was there.

That purple stuff?? its AWESOME!! I love that - keeps my treasures completely sparkling as well as my glasses too. That stuff is really good! Have never seen it anywhere but the kiosks in Vegas - is it a local thing???

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I might have to poke around online for the real thing, I don't generally buy things on Amazon due to far too many fakes. Does the package yours came with have a link to a website on it? Super curious about the "purple stuff" too, though I do love my SparkleSparkle.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, I actually wasn't interested in the purple cleaning solution at all. The kiosk was selling one polishing cloth for $20, or two for $30 with a free sample size of the cleaning solution. I didn't want to buy two. I wanted just one, so I can try it out. Some lady came by to get her rings cleaned too (non-PS'er type, omfg her ring was FILTHY, it had black crud stuck on it in between her solitaire and her ring wrap… and her family was complimenting on her "new" wrap that she just received for her anniversary! :knockout:), so we split the bill, and I let her keep the cleaning solution. DAMNIT!

But Amazon is way cheaper. I need to buy an Olloclip, since my made in china magnetic zoom lens thing sucks booty. I'll update this thread with before and afters when I get around to getting a stupid clip.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Link, folks.

Must know where to buy this stuff if ya'all swear by it.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Just bought one. Tee hee. :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1355774780|3333589 said:
Just bought one. Tee hee. :)

you will be AMAZED what it can do - its almost like a mini polishing wheel in a cloth!! My BIL/SIL were up a month or so ago and she NEVER EVER cleans her rings (did I say NEVER EVER??? no? oh - well ---- NEVER EVER!!!) and I was able to soak/clean/scrub/polish her rings up to an amazing brilliance and shine that they looked almost brand new! And they've been married 23 years! This cloth is very impressive! you'll like it, Rosebloom!

Must go find out the name of that "purple stuff"--- it works like magic!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1355752288|3333354 said:
thing2of2|1355751713|3333344 said:

That purple stuff?? its AWESOME!! I love that - keeps my treasures completely sparkling as well as my glasses too. That stuff is really good! Have never seen it anywhere but the kiosks in Vegas - is it a local thing???

Yes, it works SO well!

Gypsy, I'll post the name of it when I get home. Hopefully it's available online! It's similar to this stuff, which my mom has and I always use when I go home: http://www.sunshine101.com/Catalog/OurProducts/JewelryCleaner.asp

I haven't bought it for myself because I can't bring myself to pay for shipping. Yes, I'll buy multiple diamonds but won't spend $10 for shipping. It's the principle! :cheeky:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1355768903|3333519 said:
Link, folks.

Must know where to buy this stuff if ya'all swear by it.

I posted a link in my OP, with the amazon sale for the polishing cloths. I had to do some googling to find the brand of the kiosk, where they sell the cleaner. http://razzledazzlecleaner.com/home.php. I don't think the polishing cloth is "theirs", they just sell it. It doesn't have their brand written anywhere on the thing.

Stupid kiosk ripped me off. Their website sells the cloth for $9. They wanted $20 from me. GRRRR :angryfire:

I've ordered my Olloclip from eBay, and should be getting it sometime shortly after Christmas. I'll save my polishing til I receive the cloth, so I can show proper before/afters.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa, errbody posted at the same time.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1355775443|3333599 said:
TA DA!!!! Here you go!!
http://razzledazzlecleaner.com/home.php

The magic "purple stuff" (from Las Vegas to you, via Enerchi in Ontario! :lol: )

LOL! You're a few split seconds behind, Enerchi! I win this time :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Is the cleaner really THAT great? Yes, it worked wonders on my ring, but so does every other cleaner and my Jewel Jet. Do you feel any difference between the Razzle Dazzle and other cleaners?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
^^^

Oops! I guess I missed that!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It really is amazing tho, isn't it? I have only used this or windex or dish soap & warm water. I find the purple stuff the best.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1355776068|3333610 said:
^^^

Oops! I guess I missed that!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It really is amazing tho, isn't it? I have only used this or windex or dish soap & warm water. I find the purple stuff the best.

Hm, maybe I'll try it one day, after I run out of my jewelry cleaners. I got two free ones from my jeweler, so cheap ol' Maddie wants to use those before popping out the credit card!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh excellent. There were a few complaints on that Amazon link that led me to think they were not the same thing anyway. Id rather pay more to get the same thing you got, and not give Amazon my money.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1355778599|3333654 said:
Oh excellent. There were a few complaints on that Amazon link that led me to think they were not the same thing anyway. Id rather pay more to get the same thing you got, and not give Amazon my money.

They aren't? Hm. There's seriously NO discerning label on it that says it is a product of Razzle Dazzle or whatever. Either way, the original website offers them for cheaper than the kiosk :praise: I'm sad I paid more!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chalk it up to being in Vegas and just buy the rest online! I will probably get one online and test it on my plain band. I suppose I should ask what metals you all are using these on. Gold vs Plat.

There were some reviews saying the cloths were smaller than normal, some complaining of holes in the package like for hanging in a store display letting the "solution" evaporate, and some said it wasn't as effective as they are used to. But I personally am anti amazon for past experience so I was mostly looking to see if anyone had jewelry experience and didn't see much. A lot of gun cleaning apparently.

I may get a bottle of the purple and see how it compares to my beloved Sparkle Sparkle

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Id like to try it but shipping to the UK is $46 (more than the cost of the products! :o )

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1355797195|3333977 said:
Chalk it up to being in Vegas and just buy the rest online! I will probably get one online and test it on my plain band. I suppose I should ask what metals you all are using these on. Gold vs Plat.

There were some reviews saying the cloths were smaller than normal, some complaining of holes in the package like for hanging in a store display letting the "solution" evaporate, and some said it wasn't as effective as they are used to. But I personally am anti amazon for past experience so I was mostly looking to see if anyone had jewelry experience and didn't see much. A lot of gun cleaning apparently.

I may get a bottle of the purple and see how it compares to my beloved Sparkle Sparkle

LOL! Oh yes, I sure was living large in Vegas! I bought a $9 polishing cloth for $15! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The kiosk lady polished my 14k WG setting, and polished her own sterling silver. I don't have anything plat to polish or I'd answer that part of your Q for you.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1355798107|3333989 said:
Id like to try it but shipping to the UK is $46 (more than the cost of the products! :o )

;( I was going to buy it and then I saw that!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JuneRose|1355816015|3334110 said:
rosetta|1355798107|3333989 said:

;( I was going to buy it and then I saw that!

Whattt.. is shipping to the UK normally that pricey? Or is that site just a butt?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy crap that's EXCESSIVE. I have shipped plenty of stuff to friends in the UK and have received packages of items ordered from and from friends in the UK and there's never been a package that pricey in my memory. That's insane. It makes me think of a cosmetic company out there that has started a huge petition about price gouging from country to country, both in shipping costs and overcharging because they can. The exchange rate is not what's causing the price to be so insane usually, it's just opportunism. And they're trying to stop it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting thing I found on the cloth:
Important Notes: Not recommended for use on plated surfaces, such as silver plating or gold plating. If used too harshly the Miracle Cloth will remove plating and or coating. As an example, many Platinum rings have a Rhodium finish to make them appear more lustrous. The Miracle Cloth, if used, will remove this Rhodium finish.
Wouldn't you think this would apply more to white gold? Plating platinum is kind of a "useless step" since it's already a white metal, and you'd in theory want the white metal, not the rhodium, to show... where you wouldn't want the white gold to show through the plating?

resistencia9951

Rough_Rock
That's really interesting. I should give that a try. Anybody else have other tried and proven methods for cleaning their rings and removing scratches? Especially platinum?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ordered a cloth and an 8oz bottle of the purple stuff. I am going to test the cloth on probably my plain band or my promise ring, I can't get that over my knuckle if I wanted to now, and I can't resize it apparently. So if it doesn't work out, I won't die. (Both are plat, I think they plated my plain band for some asanine reason instead of actually polishing it, when I asked for a polish last time I was at the little shop by my house, not anywhere I usually go)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I got my cloth and purple stuff today....I will test the purple stuff on my rings tomorrow maybe but the cloth has ZERO effect whatsoever on my platinum. It got "tarnish" on the cloth but the ring I used it on actually looks more scratched up now than it did before I used it (not a problem, but just warning for others). It gave that ring an almost brushed finish. I was tempted to try it on a plain band too and I am now not so sure. Ah well, its a novelty.

The purple stuff looks interesting. We'll see how it does compared to my sparkle sparkle!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'm sorry Ame :( I wish I hadn't post this and made you buy. I finally got my Olloclip in last week, and searched for my cloth… Yeah, bought new Olloclip to replace lost cheapy macro lens, receive Olloclip, and lost coconut oil cloth. :knockout:

That's so weird, though, it worked so well on my shank, but mine was 14k WG.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no need to apologize! Don't feel bad! I got it to give it a whirl! Just was an experiment!!!

This ring is just one that I cannot wear anymore, doesn't fit, can't resize so I figured I'd try it out. And unless I did it wrong, also likely, it just didn't work on this metal. They say on the site you shouldn't use it on Plat because it might take off "rhodium plating" but my guess is that's a CYA move bec it just won't work on platinum.

I do look forward to your review of the Olloclip :) And the subsequent pics you will take ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results