shape
carat
color
clarity

Minimum cut, clarity and color if for a 3ct center stone

stallionfromnd

Rough_Rock
i'm just getting up to speed on an engagement ring search. the only part i've figured out so far is the size of the center stone -- for now i'd like it to be around 3ct center stone. i havent seen that many stones in person but before i start visting the jewelers in los angeles -- i wanted to be armed with some basics around minimum quality standards i should consider to avoid getting something that is not great. basically the best mix and ranking of the statistics that could make a $75,000 budget turn out as best as possible.

thanks

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely stick with AGS ideal or GIA excellent cut. The cut quality is the most important in determining how 'sparkly' the diamond is. As far as color/clarity...I would get what you can with your budget. Color is really more of a personal preference thing so I would try to look at some diamonds in person and in different lighting and see what you like.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1307407618|2939424 said:
I would definitely stick with AGS ideal or GIA excellent cut. The cut quality is the most important in determining how 'sparkly' the diamond is. As far as color/clarity...I would get what you can with your budget. Color is really more of a personal preference thing so I would try to look at some diamonds in person and in different lighting and see what you like.

Exactly. It would be very hard to find an eye clean SI2 in that size, but if you found an "honest" Si2 with an inclusion that you could easily hide under a prong, that might be a great find! But hard. Many SI1s in that size will also have visible inclusions I would wager. But worth looking.

Very nice stones in that size are rare. I think GIA Ex will make the search easier than AGS0, as there are simply more to choose from.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With that budget, I would try to get G or maybe H color and at least VS2 clarity. You have no reason to go lower if you are spending that kind of money. I will repeat what others have said, though, only buy a stone with an AGS 0 (ideal cut) lab report, or if GIA, it should be excellent in cut but get all the numbers off the report and post them here before handing over the $$$.

Almost anyone you deal with will have to call in stones, so you'd likely do better on price by calling one of the trusted vendors here to do your legwork.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My suggestion is FIRST to look at stones IRL; for size, cut, clarity, color, and even shape (are you sure you want a RB---have you seen some of the cushions out there??? :love: ). What I would want for a minimum color and clarity might not come close to what you or your intended would want/consider/tolerate, KWIM? Once you have seen some stones, come back and let us know what you "liked". Then we can better help you given your "preferences".

cheers--Sharon

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
stallionfromnd|1307406745|2939410 said:
i'm just getting up to speed on an engagement ring search. the only part i've figured out so far is the size of the center stone -- for now i'd like it to be around 3ct center stone. i havent seen that many stones in person but before i start visting the jewelers in los angeles -- i wanted to be armed with some basics around minimum quality standards i should consider to avoid getting something that is not great. basically the best mix and ranking of the statistics that could make a $75,000 budget turn out as best as possible.

thanks
To me I always wanted to keep my clarity up and knock down the color. If you get a stone with strong blue fluorescence, the blue can help zero out the yellow. I have an I with SBF (2.5 carat) and it faces up very white.

Also have you considered second hand? Here's a ginormous beauty from JbEG that's way under your budget: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/450ct-Loose-Old-European-Cut/17225550_w7TthL#1307264575_cSKQTqZ

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results