clarity

Mind Clean

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Regular Guy|1312811165|2986390 said:
though maybe...

F, VS1

I'll add on.

(good cut, as evaluated by)...AGS0, good reflector image(s)...edited to add...possibly also branded (ACA, BGD, G0G, Infinity...and even HOF, Lazare)...

ethically sourced (i.e., not just non-conflict, but some sort of representation of fair traded), by some effort to establish this.

Ira Z.

We are of like minds on this, Ira :)) I have a G VS2 HOF and it is mind clean to me. With the price increases, no more upgrades on this ring for me :o

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
MrsBettyBoop|1315099813|3009380 said:
I've been really thinking about this. I have a dirty mind too I think. :lol: I really just have to love it. I am very near sighted so clarity would be my biggest issue. While I think at first I would cringe to say that I had an I1 stone (in an e-ring) as long as it didn't impact the beauty or outright glare at me, I wouldn't care in the end. I just like 'em BIG! 8)
You don't have to say anything about clarity ever, I find.
No one has ever asked me anything whatsoever about any of my rings except, "how many carats".
About the I1 I do get asked, "Is that real?" because it's large. Not in a snarky way, in an awed way. If I was to say its I1, actually, though, it wouldn't matter, because no one outside of jewellers and Pricescope people seems to have any idea what that MEANS.

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Black Jade|1315188951|3009845 said:
You don't have to say anything about clarity ever, I find.
No one has ever asked me anything whatsoever about any of my rings except, "how many carats".
About the I1 I do get asked, "Is that real?" because it's large. Not in a snarky way, in an awed way. If I was to say its I1, actually, though, it wouldn't matter, because no one outside of jewellers and Pricescope people seems to have any idea what that MEANS.

True story. I think around here most people don't ask specifics of jewelry... I wonder if they think it's rude? People have only complemented my jewelry, they never ask anything specific about it (even size). And I've never asked anything specific about anyone's either because I'm afraid they would think I was rude. ::)

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Of course cut is king. But for the rest, G/VS2. I did have for a brief time a very clean G/SI2. I don't know why it was graded so low, even when I louped it I couldn't see anything. It was a gift for someone.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sweet spot is I VS2. Clarity is an issue for me. The ring I wore for 25 years had a dark feather in the table that i could see when I got it wet. I never could see it any other time but in the shower. I am not sure why that is. My first upgrade was a J thanks to PS. I would have never gone that low in color had I not spent time here. in fact, shortly before I went in a jewelry store that had consignment pieces and saw a lovely 2 plus carat ring, and when I was told it was a J I put it down thinking, why would anyone want to buy that? boy have things changed!

My current ring is a VS2 but I think it should be higher. There is one tiny speck on the AGS report and I can't find anything with a loop. It is the cleanest VS2 I have ever run across. In a round stone, I could go a little higher in color, but price keeps me at an I. In a AVC I
Love love love the lower colors.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
As I was being wheeled in for a CT scan--a long story--the tech said I love your ring. She told the other tech to have a look at it. They both loved it ::) During the procedure the first tech told me she was obsessed with my ring and asked me where I got it. I told her. I'm sure she was responding to the cut, which popped under that lighting. This conversation cheered me up and perhaps sent her off in the right direction ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
risingsun|1315239450|3010078 said:
As I was being wheeled in for a CT scan--a long story--the tech said I love your ring. She told the other tech to have a look at it. They both loved it ::) During the procedure the first tech told me she was obsessed with my ring and asked me where I got it. I told her. I'm sure she was responding to the cut, which popped under that lighting. This conversation cheered me up and perhaps sent her off in the right direction ;))

I love when those diamond-cut teaching moments happen.
I've had that too when someone is obviously seeing for the first time in their lives what a diamond can do, and they're hooked. :naughty:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1315240509|3010084 said:

I've had that too when someone is obviously seeing for the first time in their lives what a diamond can do, and they're hooked. :naughty:

Funny true story. I had a sonogram (I'll leave the body part out - ha!) and after the test the sonographer, head nurse and doctor all came back into the room. I was just sure they were going to tell me they found something and I must have looked like I'd seen a ghost. They asked what was wrong and I said all three of you are here - can't be good. They laughed and said the sonographer had seen my ring and wanted all of them to see it! It's flattering but at that moment I was so relieved I just about melted into the floor!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
My diamonds range from 0.5 carat D iF to 2.58 ct J SI2. I love them all.

I just can't bring myself to spend more than $20k on a stone, even though I could afford it. That's the biggest issue for me.

So to go big on carat, I must drop to lower colour and clarity.

I never compromise on cut though!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

I have had a number of tests and procedures over the past year or so. It's funny, if ironic, that a number of these teaching moments happen when I'm being tested or having a procedure. You are right, Kenny, many non PSers have never seen what a diamond can do. When they say that they have never seen a diamond like this, I believe them. I had never seen one like this until I joined PS.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1315245800|3010135 said:

Funny true story. I had a sonogram (I'll leave the body part out - ha!) and after the test the sonographer, head nurse and doctor all came back into the room. I was just sure they were going to tell me they found something and I must have looked like I'd seen a ghost. They asked what was wrong and I said all three of you are here - can't be good. They laughed and said the sonographer had seen my ring and wanted all of them to see it! It's flattering but at that moment I was so relieved I just about melted into the floor!

It must have scared the you know what out of you :o I was having a root canal done and the first thing the endodontist said to me-- before open your mouth--was your diamond rings are stunning! His nurse said that it was one of those HOF diamonds that XXXX jewelry store sells. This was so out of character for this doctor :lol:

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
I have purchased three diamonds (VS2, VS1, IF) and have seen everything in person except VVS1, VVS2, and I3. For me, as the non-wearer, mind clean would constitute the following:

1. Visually eye clean, unmagnified from the top and exposed sides (pronged feathers are OK). Only my and my GF's eyes count.
2. Visually not yellow when not viewed face up and mounted on platinum or white gold. Not when side-by-side with other diamonds.
3. Cut, clarity, color, and carat weight appreciated by the wearer (my GF). I'd regret spending money on something she didn't like.
4. Good price at the time of purchase for the diamond being purchased.

I appreciate what Regular Guy posted earlier that one's definition of mind clean ought to also include certainty that the diamond is conflict-free. I wish I had thought about truly establishing that before purchasing. I didn't want to go with lab diamonds but do have a colored lab in mind to purchase in the coming months.

I didn't need the IF diamond to be mind clean. I was just happy to have purchased it. I wish it were a D color, but the cost would cause me to lose sleep! I like having the IF because it's sort of a benchmark by which I can judge future purchases. Sure, there are flaws to be found if one magnified enough, but it's pretty cool to have. It's silly and kind of shallow/materialistic, but I will be proud to give it to my GF when I propose - simply for the symbolism.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mind clean for me is G VS1, although if money were no object, I'd go for F VS1. My current ring is a high H VS1, and it is mind clean as well. I need ideal cut for rounds, and excellent cut for any other shape. I'd go for an AVC if I were to get another shape.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
rosetta said:
I just can't bring myself to spend more than $20k on a stone, even though I could afford it. That's the biggest issue for me.

Cost is a mind-clean issue for me, too. For us the magic number was $10k incl. the setting. I chose a 1.06 F SI1 H&A Canadian diamond from GOG. After reading this thread I am concerned that the clarity may bother me (I don't have the ring yet), but I think higher cost would have bothered me more! Time will tell.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have changed my mind about calrity now! I have in my possession an SI1 where I cannot see the inclusion, and owned an SI1 in the past where I could not see the inclusions, and it does not/did not bother me in either case. So for me mind clean on clarity means I can't see the inclusions even when squinting and looking for it with one eye! :cheeky:

Cost in a mind clean thing for me too. I had not thought of that, but it is.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1315336945|3010878 said:
I have changed my mind about calrity now! I have in my possession an SI1 where I cannot see the inclusion, and owned an SI1 in the past where I could not see the inclusions, and it does not/did not bother me in either case. So for me mind clean on clarity means I can't see the inclusions even when squinting and looking for it with one eye! :cheeky:

Cost in a mind clean thing for me too. I had not thought of that, but it is.

It completely is for me.

Could I rock a 4 ct OP SI2 cushion? You bet!

Same size in D VVS1?

No way, I just couldn't spend 100k plus on any stone and feel safe anywhere wearing it, nor could I stop wondering whether I should have spent the money to pay off a mortgage, save for a rainy day etc. It just wouldn't be something I would do, even if a six figure sum just landed on my lap.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results