shape
carat
color
clarity

MIL's New Bling !!! Yellow gold half eternity band!!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some time ago all my MIL's jewelry was stolen from her home and they didn't have any insurance :(sad She was so extremely upset about the incident that she didn't want to buy anything in replacement of her stolen pieces...I guess, this must have been one of the most frustrating experiences in her life :blackeye:
Both she and my FIL have been so good to me and i really love them....I was trying to figure out what to do in order to cheer up my MIL after everything that's happened and i wasn't coming up with any good ideas. Finally, i took the brave decision to use the diamonds from an old cluster ring that i had since i was very young and the 18kt yellow gold from the same ring and another old ring which i wasn't ever wearing, in order to make a new half eternity band for her. I only paid for the custom work of the goldsmith, which is great because my husband and i can't afford spending much money on such extravagances right now.
The diamonds are approximately 1 ct total weight, I color and VS2 clarity. I don't remember anything more about the specs, because after all those years i've lost the in-house appraisal that came with the original piece that i used for the...recycling!
I admit that a little devil inside me was telling me to keep the diamonds and use them towards a "diamonds by the yard" bracelet project for myself, but i guess i've already been blessed with a lot of gorgeous jewelry and i can't ever forget that my most valuable and gorgeous pieces were a gift from my parents in law. So, my MIL really deserves it and after i took the decision i didn't have any second thoughts. My only concern is that the ring might be less than what she truly deserves...I hope that she likes it and gets to love it for what it represents and that is my love for her and my wish to cheer her up and show her that...there's still bling for her after the terrible thing that happened to them...
The pictures aren't very good. I don't know why but the diamonds look dark in those photos and - thank God - that has nothing to do with the real appearence of them. I'll try to take the ring out under a tree on a sunny day and take more pics when i find the time :wavey:

IMG_0441.JPG

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some flower pics!

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And two hand shots...on my terrible looking hand, for which i apologize. My ring size (4.75) is smaller than MIL's but i couldn't resist trying it on :bigsmile:

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear that your MIL had all her jewelry stolen -- she must have been terribly upset. You are so sweet to have a ring made for her. It is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!! I love, love, love the setting and your pictures are beautiful. I'm sure she'll be stunned when she receives it. It will be all the more special because of the love, thought and generousity you put into its making. What a wonderful, thoughtful surprise.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
That is one of the sweetest things I've ever read. Bless your heart, your MIL is one lucky in-law.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a pretty design, and what a lovely thing to do for your MIL! I hope this cheers her up, and inspires her to start making new memories.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are so sweet; I love the ring, beautiful!!! :love: :love:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
natyLad, what a wonderful ring to make for your MIL. It's a gift that comes from your heart. And, a beautiful gift, to boot. I think you are both lucky ladies to have each other.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!!!! You will be paid 1000X over for your generosity!!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful gesture - I'm sure she will love it just as she undoubtedly loves you!

Random acts of kindness never go unnoticed - blessed are the givers!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear that :nono: but what a sweet thing you did Naty! ::)

I can't wait to hear about her reaction - and see more photos of it :bigsmile:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much for the kind comments and the encouragement ::) My MIL doesn't live in Greece but we're planning to visit her and the rest of hubby's family at the end of next week and that's when i'll give her the new ring! I'm very excited about it :razz:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
How sweet of you, Naty! It is beautiful -- I love the yellow gold!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is so pretty and it was a very sweet thing for you to do!!!! :appl:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! I'm not normally a fan of yellow gold but I like this! :wink2:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was really nice of you to do this Naty, it's a beautiful ring and your mil will love it! I bet she'll be really touched by the gesture.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
You are such a sweetheart! ::) It is a lovely ring, i'm sure she will love it! :appl:

kimber418

Shiny_Rock
Wow! The ring is beautiful. What a wonderful gift! Gorgeous!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1297642956|2851038 said:
Very pretty! I'm not normally a fan of yellow gold but I like this! :wink2:

I know what you mean about yellow gold! In fact i always wear white gold too! But MIL never wears anything alse than yellow gold and so there was no other option! It's funny though, coz when i got the ring back from the jeweller, i thought it looked very yummy and i realized that i wouldn't mind at all getting in the future a RHR for myself in yellow gold :naughty:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Naty, what a sweet thing for you to do! The ring is beautiful and I am sure she will love it. I have a five stone is a setting very
similar and I love it. It separates the stones just enough to get great finger coverage and allow you to see the beauty of each
individual stone.

I can't wait to hear what her reaction is when you give it to her. I know she will love it. I love a good happy story!

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
That is SO amazing of you and it's beautiful!

stci

Ideal_Rock
You are fantastic and generous! This ring is really beautiful and you heart big as the world! :appl:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1297691655|2851370 said:
Naty, what a sweet thing for you to do! The ring is beautiful and I am sure she will love it. I have a five stone is a setting very
similar and I love it. It separates the stones just enough to get great finger coverage and allow you to see the beauty of each
individual stone.

I can't wait to hear what her reaction is when you give it to her. I know she will love it. I love a good happy story!

Luv2sparkle, i'd like to thank you and all the other members again for their kind comments :))

As far as the setting is concerned: Indeed, this setting shows off beautifully the stones and gives great finger coverage. It was totally my jeweller's idea and i'm glad that i went with it and trusted him on this. I was worried that this kind of prongs would cause the ring to get caught on clothes, pantyhose, etc. It seems that i was wrong, because i tested it and it's perfect, no such problems whatsoever. Seriously, now that the ring is finished, i compare it with my own half eternity band and i realize that MIL's ring looks much blingier than mine, even though my diamonds are E color, VVS1 clarity, excellent cut!!! The setting plays a big role on the final appearence...big...

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
naty, you are an incredibly kind and generous person. That was a lovely thing to do for your mother-in-law, and I'm sure she appreciates it so much after what she's experienced. I don't know how I'd handle that same situation myself, but I love the ring you made her. The stones are beautiful and I love the mounting. You did a really good thing for someone who will probably experience some emotional pain for a long time to come. Big <<hugs>>.

Your photos of the ring in the rose are gorgeous.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemgirl|1297864515|2853027 said:
naty, you are an incredibly kind and generous person. That was a lovely thing to do for your mother-in-law, and I'm sure she appreciates it so much after what she's experienced. I don't know how I'd handle that same situation myself, but I love the ring you made her. The stones are beautiful and I love the mounting. You did a really good thing for someone who will probably experience some emotional pain for a long time to come. Big <<hugs>>.

Your photos of the ring in the rose are gorgeous.

Thank you Gemgirl, <<HUGS>> to you too :wavey:

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
naty, you are truly a wonderful person to put some happiness in your MIL's life. :saint: The ring turned out beautifully! I am sure she will love it! I can't wait until we learn what her reaction was when she received it. Take a few pictures of it on her hand and post them here when it happens.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
It is a beautiful ring and I'm sure she will be very touched by your gift.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright, so i'm back from my trip to my parents in law and first of all, let me say that i had the time of my life during those few days :razz:
From the moment we arrived i wanted to find the right opportunity to give the ring to my MIL but there wasn't a quiet moment at home, since all the relatives were constantly coming to visit and see me and my DH!!!
Finally, late at night of the first day, when everybody had left, the FIL had gone to bed and DH was taking a shower, i told my MIL that we should sit down for a moment and relax. She was very tired because she was taking care of all the visitors during the entire day...
She was wearing her...pyjamas and slippers and i'm sure that the last thing she expected was what was coming up!!!! We had already given the gifts to the family (Parents in law, Sister in law and her children, etc) and obviously my dear MIL didn't think that she would receive anything else! :naughty:
So i got my handbag and took out the little box! I gave it to her and i told her that this is a very special gift from me to her which i hope will make her happy and will always be on her hand reminding her that i love her so much and i always think of her, even if she lives so far away from us!
Poor her...she was totally speechless and she was looking at the box and wouldn't open it ::) Finally, she opened and saw the ring :appl: She was so moved and i saw tears coming down from her eyes...she wasn't saying anything, but she didn't need to...the expression on her face said it all...I asked her to try it on and it looked AMAZING on her hand :appl: As far as the size is concerned, i'd say that it's perfect according to my standards, which means just a little tight, as much as it's needed so that it doesn't spin. I think that it fitted perfectly, but in case she feels that she should upsize it a little i'm sure it won't be a problem.
She gave me the best hug in the world and said a million "thank you" and her face was all bright and smiling...at that moment i knew that i had done the right thing and that this piece of jewelry will always be special to her, no matter how many new pieces she obtains in the future...
The next day we went to the SIL's home for lunch and everybody was asking about the new ring on her hand, so she went on and on about how wonderful and generous she thinks i am and how much i love her, etc... Wow, it's true what they say that sometimes it's so much more rewarding to give a gift thatn to receive one.....I'm so happy i did this...
I'd like to apologize for coming back without any handshots. For some reason, i felt that if i asked her to...pose for hand shots she'd wonder what on earth i wanted those pictures for and i'm sure that she wouldn't like the idea of me posting the pics on the internet regardless of the fact that her face wouldn't show. She is an old fashioned lady who doesn't even use a computer and i realized that it might spoil the whole thing, so i just avoided it.
Thank you again all so much for following this thread, encouraging me and giving me all your kind opinions and thoughts on the ring :wavey:

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock
This is such a sweet story and a lovely ring! I find it specifically moving that you even refrained from taking pictures of your MIL out of respect for her feelings. That shows how much you really care.

I hope your MIL wears this in good health for a long time!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful story - I'm so glad your MIL was pleased and happy with the ring. I knew she would be. It is true - sometimes the best happiness comes from our giving - not receiving.

Kudos to you for being so sweet and thoughtful - she is a lucky lady!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results