shape
carat
color
clarity

Milgraing Question...help please:)

h1juhas

Rough_Rock
I am having a halo ring made with milgraining all around the bezel and outside of halo. The pictures I have sent in to replicate differ from the cad Drawings. The milgraining looks larger. I have conveyed this to the jeweler many times and his response is that they will try to come close to the pic. My concern is that the cads milgraining looks large and harsh whereas the replica pics are soft and delicate. I will include a pic of what I want the milgraining to look like. Can anyone tell me what gauge milgraining you have on your halos and add pics too..this would be so helpful!!!

_6061.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Milgraining should be done by hand with a milgraining tool, not in CAD. Ask if your jeweler can do the milgraining by hand or if he knows anyone he can outsource that particular aspect of the work to.

h1juhas

Rough_Rock
They plan on casting it as opposed to having it hand done. Not sure why.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
h1juhas|1367781583|3440792 said:

Probably because they don't have the skill to do the milgrain by hand. I would not have the milgrain cast - UNLESS they can show you an example of their cad/cast milgrain and it passes your inspection.

And while I don't know if it is to you - to ME personally that is a dealbreaker - I have been looking for a local jeweler to make a ring for my mother based on a design she wants, and they all want to cast all the milgrain and the engraving. Each one gets a no from me. I don't approve of shortcuts when I want perfection.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree! I would t have the. Cast the mill graining when they're just saying "oh we can do that, you'll see. I've been burned by local jewelers with that mentality before.

Does the shank have princes cut side stones or are they all round? Because if they are just round I'm sure ritani and James Allen both have similar settings that could have beautiful millgraining added to them. No custom work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with Beverley K if you want a cast ring with hand milgrain or engraving.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1367784219|3440809 said:

And while I don't know if it is to you - to ME personally that is a dealbreaker

Ditto - casting milgrain sounds like a dreadful idea :sick:
When you cast (pour molten metal into a mould) there is a limit to how finely you can represent artifacts, and the more artifacts there are the more *stuff* there is to work around to finish and polish... Milgraining and engraving done with tools by hand after the piece has been cast will permit much more control over granularity, precision, and quality of finish!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1367785564|3440831 said:
distracts|1367784219|3440809 said:

And while I don't know if it is to you - to ME personally that is a dealbreaker

Ditto - casting milgrain sounds like a dreadful idea :sick:
When you cast (pour molten metal into a mould) there is a limit to how finely you can represent artifacts, and the more artifacts there are the more *stuff* there is to work around to finish and polish... Milgraining and engraving done with tools by hand after the piece has been cast will permit much more control over granularity, precision, and quality of finish!

Yeah part of the appalling thing about casting milgrain to me is the polishing. With hand-milgraining, you do it AFTER the piece has been polished. With cast milgrain, you are doing so much sanding and polishing after the casting that I can't imagine how it could come out looking anything but kind of watered-down.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results