shape
carat
color
clarity

Milgrain

Riesz

Rough_Rock
I've decided on an antique-style band with milgrain along the edges of pave stones set into the band. On the (likely 3D computer-generated) main image of the band, the milgrain beads are very distinct and crisp.

When I look at actual pictures of the band people have purchased, the milgrain beads are not distinct but look rather muddy and melted together.

Here is the main image with perfect little milgrain beads:
http://jamesallen.com/#!/engagement-rings/vintage/18k-white-gold-antique-bezel-and-pave-set-engagement-ring-item-1106

Actual image of a purchased ring:
http://jamesallen.com/#!/engagement-rings/vintage/18k-white-gold-antique-bezel-and-pave-set-engagement-ring-item-1106-Purchased-1064

I absolutely love the milgrain because the beads are tiny, separate, and should be a perfect little detail. Am I being too picky? I'm afraid having muddy, melted looking milgrain will only upset me. Should I pass on this ring because of the poor milgrain?

Riesz

Rough_Rock
Just hoping to get another opinion :)

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure how much detail you will be able to see at real life size.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's the thing - the CAD may show milgrain, but as far as I know, it's not cast that way (the fine detail would be lost). Milgrain is almost always added by hand, using a tool that looks like a little tiny pizza wheel, with a milled edge. It can be perfect, in the hands of a master ... or it can be messy and frustrating if it's done fast and dirty. The pic isn't necessarily representative, though. Maybe ask a JA rep if they could take extra care with yours?

MattEffinCameron

Rough_Rock
Is the second picture the one which you own?

Sorry for bumping this old thread but I am trying to research milgrain a little and this came up. The muted milgrain in that second pic to me (and I dont really know what I am talking about) makes me wonder if they cast the milgrain and then polished it? The edges of the dots are definitely less distinct to my eye.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oy. That looks like cast milgrain. And it's exactly why we don't recommend cast milgrain.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1386180930|3567464 said:
Oy. That looks like cast milgrain. And it's exactly why we don't recommend cast milgrain.

Yup. That.
Cast engraving, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results