shape
carat
color
clarity

Mikimoto surprise find

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I was in a thrift store looking at the jewelry.
There was this glued together mess of a pin. I hate that people rip apart vintage jewelry and make something ugly!
Anyway, this one caught my eye because it had some nice pearls on it. For $1.00, I took a chance.
Lo and behold, I discovered a 14k Mikimoto earring! Unfortunately, the clip part has been removed. The hot glue was really hard to remove. :angryfire:
I took the photos after I started pulling it apart. It has the Mikimoto mark, an "M" in an oyster shell.
Yay!
IMG_20200526_201529.jpg IMG_20200526_201504.jpg IMG_20200526_201623.jpg IMG_20200526_201642.jpg

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty! Would be beautiful as a conversion - what will you make?

I'm not sure yet. Maybe a pendant. Something I can do myself.
I've got to put some thought into it.
But one thing is for sure--the next time I see one of these glued together pins, I will look at it VERY carefully!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing! You have a good eye!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @YadaYadaYada , come over here to Pearls and see what I found yesterday

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @YadaYadaYada , come over here to Pearls and see what I found yesterday

I remember these types of cobbled together pins with the watch in the middle. If I recall these were very 90's think poet blouses with the ruffles down the front and on the sleeves, the tapestry vest craze and the baby doll tops with stirrup leggings and ballet flats.

That's pretty amazing that you found a real gold and Pearl earring in that mess, excited to see what you do with it!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember these types of cobbled together pins with the watch in the middle. If I recall these were very 90's think poet blouses with the ruffles down the front and on the sleeves, the tapestry vest craze and the baby doll tops with stirrup leggings and ballet flats.

That's pretty amazing that you found a real gold and Pearl earring in that mess, excited to see what you do with it!

OMG, guilty as charged! I wore all that stuff!
You certainly got the 90's pegged! I really never liked vests, though.
But those poet blouses, yeah.....that was me!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, guilty as charged! I wore all that stuff!
You certainly got the 90's pegged! I really never liked vests, though.
But those poet blouses, yeah.....that was me!

I loved those poet blouses too! I had a white and a rose colored and they had to be worn with certain color jeans, thought I was hot you know what lol!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved those poet blouses too! I had a white and a rose colored and they had to be worn with certain color jeans, thought I was hot you know what lol!

You are still hot 'you know what'!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow ! Nailed the 90's :D Well done ! And the pin - good eye!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure yet. Maybe a pendant. Something I can do myself.
I've got to put some thought into it.
But one thing is for sure--the next time I see one of these glued together pins, I will look at it VERY carefully!

i like the pendant idea
how lucky you rescued it

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find, @stracci2000 ! I can see it as sideways pendant, attached to a gold chain, or collar and in many other ways. Congratulations!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talk about a diamond in the rough!!! Wow!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Several “pieces of flair” lol

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Nice find!!

Andie Walsh definitely would have made and worn a pin like that. It may have been her mother's earring!! lol

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice find!!

Andie Walsh definitely would have made and worn a pin like that. It may have been her mother's earring!! lol

OK, I had to look that one up.......It's been a looooong time since I saw that movie!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@Bluegemz, @TheGarnetGirl
Can you believe I found this in Socorro, of all places?

I tried it sideways, but the easiest way to make it a pendant was to attach a simple loop to the back for a chain. See below
IMG_20200609_174032262.jpg

Whaaaaa?
The universe must be off its axis....Mikimoto in Socorro?!

I love the conversion! Sweet lil' pendant now!
It makes me happy as the child in me is reminded of a bouqet of balloons!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks fabulous as a pendant! That is amazing that you found that in Socorro! There have been times on road trips that I’ve stopped at little thrift stores in tiny towns...just to see what might Possibly be there. At times, I’ve been truly surprised!
It is fascinating imagining how lives were lived, what people collected, etc in these places!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks fabulous as a pendant! That is amazing that you found that in Socorro! There have been times on road trips that I’ve stopped at little thrift stores in tiny towns...just to see what might Possibly be there. At times, I’ve been truly surprised!
It is fascinating imagining how lives were lived, what people collected, etc in these places!!

I travel around northern NM for my job, and I have discovered that most little towns have some sort of second hand shop.
I seek them out and regularly stop once or twice a month while traveling for work. It's my own little treasure hunt!

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
So glad you liberated the pearls from the ugly homemade brooch. What a lovely pendant they've make!

JewelQuest

Rough_Rock
Today I was in a thrift store looking at the jewelry.
There was this glued together mess of a pin. I hate that people rip apart vintage jewelry and make something ugly!
Anyway, this one caught my eye because it had some nice pearls on it. For $1.00, I took a chance.
Lo and behold, I discovered a 14k Mikimoto earring! Unfortunately, the clip part has been removed. The hot glue was really hard to remove. :angryfire:
I took the photos after I started pulling it apart. It has the Mikimoto mark, an "M" in an oyster shell.
Yay!
IMG_20200526_201529.jpg IMG_20200526_201504.jpg IMG_20200526_201623.jpg IMG_20200526_201642.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your Mikimoto brooch is missing its pin in back but for comparison, here is the identical brooch that sold on ebay a while ago. https://www.ebay.com/itm/224663555327
Also, I would take a closer look at that silver ball, does it open up?

Wow! Thanks for that!
I had no idea it was a brooch. I always thought it was an earring!

The silvery ball was just a costume jewelry earring component.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results